Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Test -> Edited Led Zeppelin song to be part of closing ceremony

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Gekko

August 23, 2008 8:36:08 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Edited Led Zeppelin song to be part of closing ceremony

Whole Lotta Love was chosen as the centrepiece of an eight-minute ú2.5million British segment at the event in Beijing at which the Olympic flag will be officially passed to the London Mayor Boris Johnson.

Organisers of the London 2012 Games commissioned the band's guitarist Jimmy Page to record a new version of the song to be performed on top of a special red double-decker bus accompanied by Leona Lewis, winner of the ITV reality television show The X Factor, with David Beckham looking on.

Lewis-requested a change to the song's second verse because she was worried they would not make sense for a female singer. In the original, recorded in 1969, frontman Robert Plant sings, "I'm gonna give you every inch of my love".

But in the version that will be sung tomorrow, however, Lewis changes the words to "every bit" of my love.

The band also agreed to a request from organisers to drop the third verse, which includes similar sexual innuendoes, to fit in to the eight-minute performance.

One would assume this is the other lyric in question and subsequently changed:
Shake for me, girl
I wanna be your backdoor man.
Hey, oh, hey, oh
Oh, oh, oh

Bill Morris, London 2012 director of culture, ceremonies and education, said: "This is not a distilled version of our opening ceremony four years from now.

London officials explained they chose the Led Zeppelin number for its instantly recognisable guitar riff and because it would sum up London's desire to turn the 2012 Olympics into 'one big party'.

"We wanted to keep it simple, make it youthful and diverse. It's entertaining and fun and it's UK and London, loud and proud."

Story:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/2603561/Led-Zeppelin-classic-too-racy-for-Olympics.html

[ PM Gekko ]   Edited by Gekko August 23, 2008 12:49:11 pm.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

October 26, 2009 9:43:46 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

juansamuel

November 28, 2009 1:02:35 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

[ PM juansamuel ]   __________________