Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> Computer question

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

SnugglesTheBear

June 5, 2009 3:24:56 pm

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

Computer question
our IT weenie loaded Trend Micro virus protection on my office laptop - 7 minutes to boot now and then slow as hell. Basically unusable.

a. What's a good call for a 2-3 year old Dell laptop with plenty of memory. I'm tempted to buy Norton just because it's all I know, but is there something better.

b. what do I tell my IT weenie when he sees I think he's a doofus?

[ PM SnugglesTheBear ]   __________________
"The man of great wealth owes a peculiar obligation to the state." Teddy Roosevelt

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Homer

June 5, 2009 3:34:31 pm

Bubba Ho-Tep

[ Link to this post ]

trend micro is not a bad call. I don't care for norton. Are you sure it isn't trying to update and run a system scan? Have you looked at the scan schedule? are you familiar with task manager?

I.T. installed something and I don't like it therefore I.T. is stupid

we are trying to protect you from your uneducated selves, thank you very little.

additionally most of your virus scanning software has bloated and can slow things down especially if you don't pay attention to the scanning/update schedule and let it do its thing.

[ PM Homer ]   __________________
Winning

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Delphigod

June 5, 2009 4:04:31 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

I've used Trend Micro for going on two years now, and have loved it. Norton is a bloated beast. AVG is nice, but doesn't have the robustness of Trend Micro.

If your computer has slowed down, I'm not sure I'd directly blame TM.

[ PM Delphigod ]   __________________
"The only difference between Obama and Osama is BS." - Political ad in California

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

SnugglesTheBear

June 5, 2009 4:14:12 pm

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Homer said...

we are trying to protect you from your uneducated selves, thank you very little.

Easy, Doris - I am a former IT guy (back when screens were monochrome) I remember how it goes. I just want to swap it out to see if something works better. the memory upgrade did not.

[ PM SnugglesTheBear ]   __________________
"The man of great wealth owes a peculiar obligation to the state." Teddy Roosevelt

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Delphigod

June 5, 2009 4:16:19 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
snugglesthebear said...
quote:
Homer said...

Easy, Doris - I am a former IT guy (back when screens were monochrome) I remember how it goes. I just want to swap it out to see if something works better. the memory upgrade did not.

Check your process list and see which process is using up the most processor time.

[ PM Delphigod ]   __________________
"The only difference between Obama and Osama is BS." - Political ad in California

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Homer

June 5, 2009 5:42:20 pm

Bubba Ho-Tep

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
snugglesthebear said...
quote:
Homer said...

it's been a loooong week with a lot of issues that really aren't I.T. issues but we still take the heat

[ PM Homer ]   __________________
Winning

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

June 6, 2009 8:58:36 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Homer said...
it's been a loooong week with a lot of issues that really aren't I.T. issues but we still take the heat

Must be sunspots this week. It's been similar over here.

Like Homer says, your schedule for scans may be at 8am and need to be changed to sometime when you aren't active on the computer. Also, the initial scan is always a bear no matter which software you use, so you'll just have to let it run it's course for a day or two.

But if you want a nice, unobtrusive AV software, I really like Kaspersky. I've got it on 2 home computers and I love it. Norton is a bloated, borderline useless program. Almost anything would be better. Trend is a very good AV and I know a number of people who have used it for quite some time.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

Millwood

April 6, 2016 12:14:58 pm

Top Yeap

[ Link to this post ]

After much consideration and thought I have decided that this here thread was the best ever on the Smirkinchicken.

My decision was based on countless hours of study, examination and research. And that is the final decision. So let it be.

Signed,

Cornelius J Millwood

[ PM Millwood ]   __________________
This marble I just ate is soft, chewy and sweet. It reminds me of a gumball. - Barack Obama

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Previous Thread | Next Thread