Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> Holy Crap! $99 season tickets!

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Poster

April 15, 2003 1:16:48 pm

Nutsack

Location: Enjoying a slavish concern for the composition of words.
[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Thrashtress said...
This isn't a "help out a friend" kind of a thing though, like help you move or help you plan something. This is a major investment of money. To expect someone to pay thousands of dollars so that you can pay $99 is selfish, I think.

How do you figure? It's not as if Shannonie, Daddyman, or I are asking anyone to buy season tickets so that we can get the $99 ticket. I'm just saying, if someone already has season tickets, and wouldn't mind having someone they know sitting next to them, then let me know.

If I had a season ticket, and Daddyman asked me if I would let him grab a $99 seat next to mine, I'd have no problem with it. It's not as if whether you buy the ticket or not has anyhting at all to do with the $99 promotion. You're buying the full=priced ticket anyway, what difference does it really make to you whether you have a friend sitting next to you for $99, or some random individual who paid full price?

[ PM Poster ]   __________________
Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

Shannonie

April 15, 2003 1:17:53 pm

Board Turdmeister

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Bent Rider said...
According to my rep, the seats would be in the same price range as your regular seats. They may not be in the same section, but would be similar value.

So does the $99 seat go under the name of the season ticket holder that purchased them, or the person using them?

[ PM Shannonie ]   __________________
When people show you who they truly are, believe them. The first time!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hockeyjerk

April 15, 2003 1:18:13 pm

Roidweiser

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Thrashtress said...
quote:
Poster said...
quote:
Thrashtress said...
Well this would be the only way I would "help" someone, because why should a STH pay thousands of dollars then let someone mouch off their account for $99? There's no incentive there at all.

That's kind of a shitty attitude, Thrashtress. I generally try to help my friends out when I have the chance to do so.

This isn't a "help out a friend" kind of a thing though, like help you move or help you host a party. This is a MAJOR INVESTMENT of money. To expect someone to pay thousands of dollars so that you can pay $99 is selfish, I think.

I see the point, but for those of us who love hockey just as much as you do, but cannot afford thousands of dollars, this is a chance to experiance what an STH does. The STH's were going to spend that money regardless. If you consider that selfish.

[ PM hockeyjerk ]   __________________
El Prof is NOT a Democrat, and is therefore not pro-slavery.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

April 15, 2003 1:20:42 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Shannonie said...
So does the $99 seat go under the name of the season ticket holder that purchased them, or the person using them?

From what I read, I read it as it not being a season ticket as such, rather a fistful of Ticketmaster tickets with absolutely no perks associated with a season ticket. Hey, what do you want for $99? Does it really matter? You're getting in to the arena for ~ 3.00/game

Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

Thrashtress

April 15, 2003 1:22:00 pm

Statstress

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hockeyjerk said...I see the point, but for those of us who love hockey just as much as you do, but cannot afford thousands of dollars...
You make it sound like STH have wads of money sitting around. Not so. Most have to really plan their entire budget around getting those tickets.

[ PM Thrashtress ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

April 15, 2003 1:27:31 pm

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

Here we go again...

I'm with T'ress on this one.

If I'm laying out $2500 for STs, what is my incentive to help you pay less than 10% of what I pay?

In other words, why would I put myself in a position to **** myself into losing money? Because if I pay over 10 times what you pay for basically the same tickets, I'm losing money.

So, now that we have established YOUR benefit, what's in it for ME? Is that selfish? Because you get something for a great deal and I want the same deal, I'M being selfish?

Not to mention the fact that I have invested my hard-earned money in this team for 4 years now. Shouldn't I get a better deal than all these Johnny-come-latelys?

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

Poster

April 15, 2003 1:30:00 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Thrashtress said...
quote:
hockeyjerk said...I see the point, but for those of us who love hockey just as much as you do, but cannot afford thousands of dollars...
You make it sound like STH have wads of money sitting around. Not so. Most have to really plan their entire budget around getting those tickets.

Yeah, but you're still already planning on spending the cash. What difference does it make to you whether I get in for $99 for the season, or if I sit home and watch on TV?

Either way, you're spending the same amount of money. The team loses, because they've lost out on concessions, parking, etc. etc. I lose because I am probably not going to be able to afford season tickets again thsi year, due to 12+ months of unemployment. But it doesn't seem to me that you win or lose, regardless. If you help someone out, at the very least, you get their gratitude, assuming that the person you help out isn't a completely ungracious asshole.

I mean, it's not a big deal, I don't care too much one way or the other what you personally decide to do. I just thought it was rather shitty for you to say that you'd be completely unwilling to help someone out unless you got something out of it.

Poster

April 15, 2003 1:31:54 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...
Here we go again...

I'm with T'ress on this one.

If I'm laying out $2500 for STs, what is my incentive to help you pay less than 10% of what I pay?

In other words, why would I put myself in a position to **** myself into losing money? Because if I pay over 10 times what you pay for basically the same tickets, I'm losing money.

So, now that we have established YOUR benefit, what's in it for ME? Is that selfish? Because you get something for a great deal and I want the same deal, I'M being selfish?

Not to mention the fact that I have invested my hard-earned money in this team for 4 years now. Shouldn't I get a better deal than all these Johnny-come-latelys?

And you DO get a better deal. YOu get playoff priorities, seating priorities next year, STH meetings, a STH rep, etc. etc.

But I guess I do see your logic. Why should anyone help anyone else out unless they're benefitting financially. Good point.

Have fun finding somewhere else to post. I'm not getting a**** thing financially out of the forums, so there's absolutely no incentive for me to continue to pay $20/month to keep my webhosting.
Not to mention hours spent fixing, looking for reliable hosting, etc. etc. etc.

Poster

April 15, 2003 1:33:56 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

Scenario A: You pay $2500 for season tickets

I sit home and watch on TV.

You're out - $2500.

Scenario B: You pay $2500 for season tickets, and let me glom off of oyu for a $99 ticket. I proceed to be extremely grateful to you, and probably buy you beer at every game at which I see you.

You're out - $2500

Where are you losing money, Rasp? I fail to see the math behind the statement that you are getting fucked out of money.

dmatos

April 15, 2003 1:35:32 pm

Entropy Generator's Dad

[ Link to this post ]

True Blue?
I'm not going to get into the logistics of "sharing" tickets. I've been doing it for years and it can be a royal pain in the butt. However, if I can be reasonably assured that the $99 seat will be near my regular tickets then I'll pick one up. Hell, hopefully it'll be right next door and My wife and I can spread out over 3 seats.

On a completely different note. The Thrashers page announcing the $99 specials has this at the end...

"We hope you will take advantage of this offer, become our ambasssadors in the community and show the rest of the league that Atlanta is TRUE BLUE!"

Could this be a hint as to next year's jerseys?

[ PM dmatos ]   __________________
Pics of the kid at g33kbaby.com or go see my flickr stream
Go buy some crap at Tanga it's like woot.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hockeyjerk

April 15, 2003 1:39:56 pm

Roidweiser

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...

If I'm laying out $2500 for STs...

Which you would have done regardless.
quote:
Rasp said...
In other words, why would I put myself in a position to **** myself ...I'm losing money.

Again...how are you fucking yourself by paying the same amount you would have anyway? It's not like if it wasn't for this deal your tickets would be cheaper.
quote:
Rasp said...
So, now that we have established YOUR benefit, what's in it for ME?

MY benefit is I would get to go to more games(just like you), and I was hoping hang out with fellow Thrashers fans and enjoy the game. I guess that would also be YOUR benefit as well...but you were wanting a monetary benefit I guess.
quote:
Rasp said...
Shouldn't I get a better deal than all these Johnny-come-latelys?

I am not a Johnny-come-lately.

Listen...If you don't want to sell someone your 99$ ticket, fine. That's your choice. Just don't act like we are being selfish for hoping someone would do it just to be nice.

[ PM hockeyjerk ]   Edited by hockeyjerk April 15, 2003 2:12:12 pm.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

April 15, 2003 2:10:16 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

By te way, Rasp and T'ess....I'm no trying to be a jerk, and I honestly don't really care one way or the other too much. I just fail to see the logic in your arguments, and boy do I like to argue.

TheDowman

April 15, 2003 2:15:39 pm

Nerdroach of the sea!

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
Scenario B: You pay $2500 for season tickets, and let me glom off of oyu for a $99 ticket. I proceed to be extremely grateful to you, and probably buy you beer at every game at which I see you.

You're out - $2500

Ahh, but Poster, you have just provided Rasp with financial benefit! Under Scenario A, Rasp is buying $6 beers for himself at every game. Over the course of the season that amounts to over $250. Your gratitude in Scenario B saves Rasp enough beer money to more than pay for his Center Ice subscription!

It's all give and take.

[ PM TheDowman ]   __________________
"If there's no good reason for a law to exist, then there is a great reason for it to not exist." - H.A.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ducksthrashers2002

April 15, 2003 2:17:17 pm

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

Well, I would be willing to do this if you're willing to spend 25% of the total cost for the seats.

((41 x 70) + 198) x .25 = $767 for a lower level season seat.

[ PM ducksthrashers2002 ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Thrashtress

April 15, 2003 2:18:02 pm

Statstress

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...Yeah, but you're still already planning on spending the cash. What difference does it make to you whether I get in for $99 for the season, or if I sit home and watch on TV?

Either way, you're spending the same amount of money.

Au contraire, and that's the kicker. Maybe after seeing this kind of deal I would decide not to spend that money. Maybe I would decide to mooch off someone else's account myself.

Also, STH do have an incentive to want everyone in the building to pay full price for their tickets, it lowers the cost for everyone. If we have hundreds of people paying $99, that means we're carrying more of the load, leading to probably higher prices next year.

Yes it's about money, how could it not be, this is a major, major expense in a STH's life.

[ PM Thrashtress ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Thrashtress

April 15, 2003 2:20:01 pm

Statstress

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
TheDowman said...Ahh, but Poster, you have just provided Rasp with financial benefit! Under Scenario A, Rasp is buying $6 beers for himself at every game. Over the course of the season that amounts to over $250. Your gratitude in Scenario B saves Rasp enough beer money to more than pay for his Center Ice subscription!
Yeah, give me the $250 for beer (not hte beer, the money you would have spent on it) in that scenario and maybe we've got something there.

[ PM Thrashtress ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

thrashergirl

April 15, 2003 2:21:43 pm

Top Prospect

Location: Following Jiri Slegr from Vancouver to Boston........
[ Link to this post ]

Or those people who sit in the $99 seats this year, save the difference in what they would pay for their tickets normally and save up and become season ticket holders next year and pay full price for the tickets...That is what they are trying to do....convince people to get season tickets for the following season. Besides, it boosts attendance numbers for the league to see.

[ PM thrashergirl ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Thrashtress

April 15, 2003 2:23:25 pm

Statstress

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hockeyjerk said...Again...how are you fucking yourself by paying the same amount you would have anyway? It's not like if it wasn't for this deal your tickets would be cheaper.
Like I said above, maybe not next year, but in the grand scheme, ticket prices would have to rise to continue to carry these people.

[ PM Thrashtress ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

April 15, 2003 2:24:55 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Thrashtress said...
quote:
Poster said...Yeah, but you're still already planning on spending the cash. What difference does it make to you whether I get in for $99 for the season, or if I sit home and watch on TV?

Either way, you're spending the same amount of money.

Au contraire, and that's the kicker. Maybe after seeing this kind of deal I would decide not to spend that money. Maybe I would decide to mooch off someone else's account myself.

Also, STH do have an incentive to want everyone in the building to pay full price for their tickets, it lowers the cost for everyone. If we have hundreds of people paying $99, that means we're carrying more of the load, leading to probably higher prices next year.

Yes it's about money, how could it not be, this is a major, major expense in a STH's life.

But see? I will in all likelihood not be able to afford a season ticket. THerefore, I won't be in the building at all, buying concessions, paying for parking, etc.

Thrashtress

April 15, 2003 2:25:17 pm

Statstress

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
thrashergirl said... Besides, it boosts attendance numbers for the league to see.
Again, no advantage to us. I like room to spread out.

[ PM Thrashtress ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2 3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread