Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> Holy Crap! $99 season tickets!

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Poster

April 15, 2003 2:27:09 pm

Nutsack

Location: Enjoying a slavish concern for the composition of words.
[ Link to this post ]

But you';re not spending any more money, regardless of whether you help someone out or not.

In either case, this thread has gotten to the point that it thoroughly sucks ass.

I fail to see your logic at all. If oyu want to mooch off of someone else, then by all means, go ahead. I never said you couldn't. But if you're all up -in-arms about the promotion, then wouldn't it be exceedingly hypocritical of you to then turn around and take advantage of it?

[ PM Poster ]   __________________
Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

StolenBadger

April 15, 2003 2:27:41 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

Maybe I'm missing the boat, but this is no different than a buy one get one free offer for Golf or meals. You always SPLIT the cost evenly.

Joe Blow buys season ticket for $2,500. Joe Blow gets an extra ticket for $100 (I'm doing easy math here, hang with me).

Joe Blow has $2,600 invested. Judy Blue wants the extra seat so she pays Joe Blow $1,300. Everybody pays the same. Everybody gets a discount. Everybody's happy.

Now you do the math with the actual tickets and you'll see it works out easy.

[ PM StolenBadger ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

thrashergirl

April 15, 2003 2:28:04 pm

Top Prospect

Location: Following Jiri Slegr from Vancouver to Boston........
[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Thrashtress said...
quote:
thrashergirl said... Besides, it boosts attendance numbers for the league to see.
Again, no advantage to us. I like room to spread out.

Then buy your 2 extra seats and stretch out.......

[ PM thrashergirl ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

April 15, 2003 2:29:12 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Thrashtress said...
Again, no advantage to us. I like room to spread out.

And I like not having to worry about whether my website is working or not. I like not having people clling me to tell me that my website isn't working. I like not fixing things around here.

I don't get any money for this. By your logic, I should just pack it in, save myself a bit of money and a ton of time, and say "screw all of you, have fun back at theinsiders.com, I'm not getting anyhting out of this!"

I just don't follow your logic of, "If I am not directly getting some benefit, screw helping out afriend."

Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

StolenBadger

April 15, 2003 2:31:13 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
I just don't follow your logic of, "If I am not directly getting some benefit, screw helping out afriend."

Why don't you pay half of the total cost (regular + 99)? Wouldn't that be the fair solution?

[ PM StolenBadger ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Thrashtress

April 15, 2003 2:33:01 pm

Statstress

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
StolenBadger said...
Maybe I'm missing the boat, but this is no different than a buy one get one free offer for Golf or meals. You always SPLIT the cost evenly.

EXACTLY, SB. I wish I would have thought of that analogy. You have a buy one get one free coupon, you split the cost of the total, easy as pie.

[ PM Thrashtress ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Thrashtress

April 15, 2003 2:35:34 pm

Statstress

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...I don't get any money for this. By your logic, I should just pack it in, save myself a bit of money and a ton of time, and say "screw all of you, have fun back at theinsiders.com, I'm not getting anyhting out of this!"
Why don't you have a PayPal account where people can donate at their leisure instead of just bitching about it then? Metroboards does that, and they have $177 in the chest. The Grrrowl board has a yearly fund drive. People might donate if there was an easy way to do so.

[ PM Thrashtress ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hockeyjerk

April 15, 2003 2:37:26 pm

Roidweiser

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
In either case, this thread has gotten to the point that it thoroughly sucks ass.

All the money aside...I guess I just thought that STH's would like the idea of sharing the experience with people who could probably never afford a season ticket. Turns out, only if they can make money off of it.

[ PM hockeyjerk ]   __________________
El Prof is NOT a Democrat, and is therefore not pro-slavery.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hockeyjerk

April 15, 2003 2:39:32 pm

Roidweiser

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Thrashtress said...
quote:
Poster said...I don't get any money for this. By your logic, I should just pack it in, save myself a bit of money and a ton of time, and say "screw all of you, have fun back at theinsiders.com, I'm not getting anyhting out of this!"
Why don't you have a PayPal account where people can donate at their leisure instead of just bitching about it then? Metroboards does that, and they have $177 in the chest. The Grrrowl board has a yearly fund drive. People might donate if there was an easy way to do so.

Not to speak for Poster...but I don't think that is the point. Apparently you have never had any one do something nice for you, and not expected anything in return.

[ PM hockeyjerk ]   __________________
El Prof is NOT a Democrat, and is therefore not pro-slavery.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Thrashtress

April 15, 2003 2:40:24 pm

Statstress

[ Link to this post ]

Sharing the experience? You can buy an individual ticket and "share the experience", it's not like you have to buy the whole season to go to a game. Sheesh.

[ PM Thrashtress ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

poliguin

April 15, 2003 2:41:10 pm

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

i kinda agree with sb and 'tress. it's a matter of one paying full price and the other not, at the advantage of the person that paid full price.

i donno, i guess the way i look at it is that the person that's paying th 99$ for the ticket should be willing to pay the person back in some form and not just taking advantage of the sth.

as for poster, being that you've been so nice with putting up this site, maintaining and all that jazz (i know how much of a bitch it is to do so), i'd be willing to add you onto my season tickets for the 99$ as payback for all that you've done (i'd front the 99$ if i had it).

i guess the side that sb and 'tress take is that it's a fine promotion, and it rocks to get those people into the arena on a normal basis that wouldn't normally be able to do so, it's just the people that have the hand out and just want to latch onto someone for a really cheap seat without doing something in return for the ticket.

again, a lot of it comes down to the sth and the person that's asking and their relationship with each other. if some stranger that i didn't know asked me to do it for them, i'd be a little annoyed, but at the same token, there are people that i'd do it for that i'd be more than happy to help out.

[ PM poliguin ]   __________________
return 'uuiiifhhaannukkulluffffcjjddwwqqk!!!'.replace(/([a-z])\1/gi, '');

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Thrashtress

April 15, 2003 2:42:21 pm

Statstress

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hockeyjerk said...Apparently you have never had any one do something nice for you, and not expected anything in return.
Again, we're not talking about a simple favor here. This is not going to pick someone up at the airport. This is a MAJOR INVESTMENT which puts it in a totally different category.

[ PM Thrashtress ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

April 15, 2003 2:43:46 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
StolenBadger said...
Why don't you pay half of the total cost (regular + 99)? Wouldn't that be the fair solution?

Because I am probably not going to be able to afford even half of the cost. I'll know when I get done doing my taxes, but it looks as though I am going to owe (total) close to the cost of an entire lower level season ticket to the IRS.

Like I've said, I on't think anyone owes anyone else anything, but if you've got, and a friend doesn't, the nwhy not help out. That's the tack I'd take, if the situation was reversed.

Shannonie

April 15, 2003 2:43:51 pm

Board Turdmeister

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hockeyjerk said...
All the money aside...I guess I just thought that STH's would like the idea of sharing the experience with people who could probably never afford a season ticket. Turns out, only if they can make money off of it.

Hold on a sec, HJ. You're making a gross generalization based off the opinions of a couple of STH, and being a STH I take offense to that. I've not shared my opinion about this, so don't label me as having done so.

[ PM Shannonie ]   __________________
When people show you who they truly are, believe them. The first time!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

clambake

April 15, 2003 2:44:39 pm

Ass Hamster

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Thrashtress said...
quote:
hockeyjerk said...Again...how are you fucking yourself by paying the same amount you would have anyway? It's not like if it wasn't for this deal your tickets would be cheaper.
Like I said above, maybe not next year, but in the grand scheme, ticket prices would have to rise to continue to carry these people.

Yeah, or the Thrashers don't offer deals and the ticket prices go up faster. Last year, you people whined that the Thrashers were giving breaks to non-STH's, thus devaluing your tickets. This year, they come to their senses and try to do something for the folks who truly support them, and you cry about that too.

Maybe you should cancel your tickets and glom onto someone else's tickets for $99, but who the**** would want to give them to you with an attitude like that? And after demand goes up, you can pay full price for**** tickets since you gave them up. This should be an opportunity to share something with our family and friends, or even scalp the fuckers.

You are not screwing yourself. That seat was going to be empty anyway. No one was going to pay full price to sit there. The Thrashers are trying to put butts of people who care about the home team in the seats. I tell you what. Buy the $99 ticket and sit there. Then, try to get somebody to buy your seat at full price. Keep lowering your price until you get an offer. Cheap bastards.

[ PM clambake ]   __________________
In my day we didn't ask why the chicken crossed the road. Somebody told us the chicken crossed the road, and that was good enough.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

April 15, 2003 2:44:44 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Thrashtress said...
quote:
hockeyjerk said...Apparently you have never had any one do something nice for you, and not expected anything in return.
Again, we're not talking about a simple favor here. This is not going to pick someone up at the airport. This is a MAJOR INVESTMENT which puts it in a totally different category.

Please explain how saying "Yes, let them buy a ticket based off of my season ticket" is a "MAJOR INVESTMENT", Thrashtress. It costs you ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. As a matter of fact, I would go so far as to say that it's less of a hassle than going to pick up afriend at the airport.

poliguin

April 15, 2003 2:45:48 pm

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

quote:

it's not that. it's not that as though i have 1k plus just sitting around, i budget the**** out of my money in order to make it work to get season tickets. it's just a matter of feeling as though you're being taken advantage of by a person just for the fact of being a sth.

i may end up exercising my two options for it. as i said, poster's been great about hosting the site and all of that and would be more than willing to do it for him as payback for running this site. the other would be for friends to come to the game, if one wants to go.

it just kind of gets to be a letdown when people seem to want to be your friends once they have something to offer, that's all.

[ PM poliguin ]   __________________
return 'uuiiifhhaannukkulluffffcjjddwwqqk!!!'.replace(/([a-z])\1/gi, '');

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

April 15, 2003 2:46:14 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Thrashtress said...
Why don't you have a PayPal account where people can donate at their leisure instead of just bitching about it then?

Like buying shirts, of which I've sold 7, maybe? Besides, please show me where I've ever "bitched" about it. I was making a point, not bitching about it.

rplumley

April 15, 2003 2:47:44 pm

Hall of Famer

Seats 1 and 2
[ Link to this post ]

I still think there are drawbacks to this offer. I'm still of the opinion that when the halfway point hits and the playoff hype starts building, Phillips says "Oops! The $99 tickets are no good anymore! We need to sell the seats for full price. So sorry!"... which would make the 'split-the-total-cost' people really pissed..

[ PM rplumley ]   __________________
Looking for some folks to play Open League D...

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

rplumley

April 15, 2003 2:48:54 pm

Hall of Famer

Seats 1 and 2
[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
Like buying shirts, of which I've sold 7, maybe? Besides, please show me where I've ever "bitched" about it. I was making a point, not bitching about it.

Hey! I bought one! I even wear it in public!

[ PM rplumley ]   __________________
Looking for some folks to play Open League D...

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3 4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread