Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> Holy Crap! $99 season tickets!

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Poster

April 15, 2003 2:50:05 pm

Nutsack

Location: Enjoying a slavish concern for the composition of words.
[ Link to this post ]

quote:
rplumley said...
I still think there are drawbacks to this offer. I'm still of the opinion that when the halfway point hits and the playoff hype starts building, Phillips says "Oops! The $99 tickets are no good anymore! We need to sell the seats for full price. So sorry!"... which would make the 'split-the-total-cost' people really pissed..

Exactly. There are other benefits to being a STH that the $99 people won't be able to take advantage of.

And Thrashtress, you'll notice that I never said, "Hey Rasp/Thrashtress, can I buy a $99 ticket and use your name?" I only put it out there that I'd be interested if someone was willing. It's really not a big deal to me, I jsut think that the attitude that you've taken (which si well within your rights) is pretty selfish, and it's not one that I would take, were the situation reversed.

[ PM Poster ]   __________________
Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

hockeyjerk

April 15, 2003 2:50:14 pm

Roidweiser

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Shannonie said...
quote:
hockeyjerk said...
All the money aside...I guess I just thought that STH's would like the idea of sharing the experience with people who could probably never afford a season ticket. Turns out, only if they can make money off of it.

Hold on a sec, HJ. You're making a gross generalization based off the opinions of a couple of STH, and being a STH I take offense to that. I've not shared my opinion about this, so don't label me as having done so.

I apologize...I guess since the only opinions(up till that point)from STH's were along those lines, that's what I was basing my opinion on.

[ PM hockeyjerk ]   __________________
El Prof is NOT a Democrat, and is therefore not pro-slavery.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Shannonie

April 15, 2003 2:58:35 pm

Board Turdmeister

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hockeyjerk said...
I apologize...I guess since the only opinions(up till that point)from STH's were along those lines, that's what I was basing my opinion on.

They just happen to be 2 of the more vocal STHs in our group.

So now let me share what I'd do, if I decide to renew my season tickets.

I will purchase the two seats at $99 each, and on a game-by-game basis, I'll give them to friends, family, coworkers, out of town guests, etc. There are a lot of people that are very good to me who also happen to like hockey. This would be a nice way to say thanks, I think.

There is no monetary benefit to me, but that's not what I'm seeking. I like being able to do nice things for folks. Everything comes back around sooner or later, and I've been benefitting from that belief a lot, it seems.

Just my .02

[ PM Shannonie ]   __________________
When people show you who they truly are, believe them. The first time!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

adam in 310

April 15, 2003 3:05:06 pm

Great Scoring Chance

[ Link to this post ]

I don't think this thread sucks ass. Actually, it's one of the most interesting threads in a long time.

As a STH who's committed an a$$load of money over the past four seasons, you're**** right that I'm excited to finally have a legitimate ticket perk targeted to me. While many ticket ranges were reduced, mine have stayed the same (a perk in itself, I guess, but only a little one). So, you bet our family's gonna be getting our two extra seats.

SB and T'ress have it generally right. Assuming that the STH would not otherwise be exercising this option, a perfect scenario would be for the piggybacker to split the overall cost. Merely offering to pay the $99 is unacceptable, because you wouldn't have had the opportunity but for the original STH. A reasonable outcome is somewhere in between. A brick and a beer at each game (plus the $99) is a start.

By the way, I don't read the conditions like most of you have that the tickets themselves can be revoked at any time (i.e., refuse to honor them, then resell them at full price). I only read it to mean that they can withdraw the offer at any time.

adam in 115

[ PM adam in 310 ]   __________________
"There are three things in life that people like to stare at...A flowing stream, a crackling fire, and a Zamboni clearing the ice."

--Charlie Brown

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

StolenBadger

April 15, 2003 3:07:04 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Shannonie said...
quote:
hockeyjerk said...

They just happen to be 2 of the more vocal STHs in our group.

So now let me share what I'd do, if I decide to renew my season tickets.

I will purchase the two seats at $99 each, and on a game-by-game basis, I'll give them to friends, family, coworkers, out of town guests, etc. There are a lot of people that are very good to me who also happen to like hockey. This would be a nice way to say thanks, I think.

There is no monetary benefit to me, but that's not what I'm seeking. I like being able to do nice things for folks. Everything comes back around sooner or later, and I've been benefitting from that belief a lot, it seems.

Just my .02

Yes, but where does the ROPE come in.....

[ PM StolenBadger ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Thrashtress

April 15, 2003 3:07:53 pm

Statstress

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Shannonie said...They just happen to be 2 of the more vocal STHs in our group.
It's not just two: duckthrashers, poliguin, adam, and Dowman agreed as well (Dowman you're a STH, aren't you?), as well as SB who lives elsewhere.

I do give tickets away to people who would enjoy going. Just not whole seasons at a time.

[ PM Thrashtress ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Shannonie

April 15, 2003 3:08:17 pm

Board Turdmeister

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
StolenBadger said...

Notice I didn't say how they were good to me.

[ PM Shannonie ]   __________________
When people show you who they truly are, believe them. The first time!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hockeyjerk

April 15, 2003 3:09:30 pm

Roidweiser

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
rplumley said...
I still think there are drawbacks to this offer. I'm still of the opinion that when the halfway point hits and the playoff hype starts building, Phillips says "Oops! The $99 tickets are no good anymore! We need to sell the seats for full price. So sorry!"... which would make the 'split-the-total-cost' people really pissed..

Exactly...good luck selling the seat for much more than 99$ when it is not even a gauranteed seat. I know if someone talked me into splitting the 99$ plus the cost of their season ticket, and then late in the season the team said, sorry...we're taking them back...I would be one pissed mother.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

StolenBadger

April 15, 2003 3:10:15 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Shannonie said...
quote:
StolenBadger said...

Notice I didn't say how they were good to me.

(closest thing to a rim shot I could think of)

[ PM StolenBadger ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

April 15, 2003 3:16:48 pm

Nutsack

Location: Enjoying a slavish concern for the composition of words.
[ Link to this post ]

quote:
adam in 115 said...
SB and T'ress have it generally right. Assuming that the STH would not otherwise be exercising this option, a perfect scenario would be for the piggybacker to split the overall cost.

And do I then get half of your playoff priority? And half say in where half of the tickets I paid for are next year? And half of the access to STH functions? And half of the remaining tickets, should the team decide to yank the $99 ticket back mid-December?

[ PM Poster ]   __________________
Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

adam in 310

April 15, 2003 3:17:56 pm

Great Scoring Chance

[ Link to this post ]

Again, I don't see where you guys are getting that the tickets themselves can be "revoked," as in not honored then resold. All I see is that the offer may be withdrawn if demand is too high. Here are the official rules. What am I missing?

2003-2004 Special $99 Season Seat Policies

1. The Special $99 tickets are made available as "additional seats" to all 2002-2003 Full Season accounts that choose to renew their existing account, in it's entirety, by May 9, 2003 and all 2002-2003 21-Game Plan Holders that choose to upgrade their existing account, in it's entirety, to a Full Season account by May 9, 2003.

2. Each eligible account is given the option to purchase up to 2 additional seats located in their price category or a lesser price category at the price of $99 per Season Seat. Maximum of two seats per account for at a total of $198.

3. The Special $99 ticket seat locations are eligible for purchase of 2003-2004 Thrashers Playoff games at the regular playoff prices.

4. 2003-2004 Season Seat Holders shall have the option to purchase their Special $99 locations as Full Season or 21-Game Plans for the 2004-2005 Season at the regular Season Seat price to be determined during the Renewal Period for that season.

5. The Special $99 tickets will not be printed on commemorative stock and will not have a price listed on them.

6. The Special $99 tickets are not entitled to upgrades or exchanges that may be offered to Season Seat Holders during the 2003-2004 season unless specified by the Atlanta Thrashers Ticket Department.

7. Special $99 tickets are available in select locations as determined by the Atlanta Thrashers; excluding Premium Seating and VIP rink side rows A, B and C. Adjacent seats can not be guaranteed.

8. Special $99 tickets may be voided at any time due to changes in the original Season Seat account. Original account being the account as of May 9, 2003.

9. The Atlanta Thrashers reserve the right to revoke the Special $99 tickets at any time.

10. This is a limited offer which is subject to availability and while supplies last and may be cancelled by the Thrashers at any time. Offer void were restricted or prohibited.

If you're talking about #9, that's a condition that attaches to all season tickets. It's the textbook legal definition of a "license."

adam in 115

"There are three things in life that people like to stare at...A flowing stream, a crackling fire, and a Zamboni clearing the ice."

--Charlie Brown

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheDowman

April 15, 2003 3:18:41 pm

Nerdroach of the sea!

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Thrashtress said...
quote:
Shannonie said...They just happen to be 2 of the more vocal STHs in our group.
It's not just two: duckthrashers, poliguin, adam, and Dowman agreed as well (Dowman you're a STH, aren't you?), as well as SB who lives elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm an STH of one year. Just because I happen to have a seat right next to Fireball doesn't mean I'm his date. (Thank God!)

I'm with Shannonie in that if I got the companion seat(s), I would give them freely to friends, family, neighbors, or cute women, but probably not on a full season basis. Unless, of course, aforementioned cute woman wanted to be more than just a hockey buddy.

[ PM TheDowman ]   __________________
"If there's no good reason for a law to exist, then there is a great reason for it to not exist." - H.A.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

JayHeatleyFan

April 15, 2003 3:19:10 pm

Jr. Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

$99 tickets
I would like to chime in on this topic. I have been a season ticket holder for 4 years like most of the posters on this board and I am in agreement with some of the others when I say that someone who openly lobbies for a $99 sth perk seat is someone trying to take advantage of that STH and not consider all the $$$$ spent to acquire their tickets in the first place.

I am certainly going to take advantage of this offer, and offer the tickets to clients, friends and maybe just give them away to charity when need be, but to have someone piggy back on my investment just to be able to take advantage of a great sth incentive is rude and selfish.

Some of you people must also realize that we have some of the LOWEST STH prices in the league with our $12 seat packages... I truly think Anyone can afford $500 dollars over a 10 payment plan. So poster, buy yourself a $12 season ticket seat and then next year you can reap the rewards with this $99 plan (if they have it).

But I will say this, I take major offense to someone on this board trying to weasle into my season tickets for only $99. Splitting the costs of my original ticket and the $99 seat would be the ONLY option I would consider, otherwise I will gladly give the tickets away as a goodwill gesture to many different people....

[ PM JayHeatleyFan ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

fickelchook

April 15, 2003 3:19:25 pm

StrongBad's Little Sister

[ Link to this post ]

I'm trying to see things from both sides - and I see the points of both. I think the bottom line is basically what poliguin said. It completely depends on the relationship of the STH and the extra seat taker. I'm sure that everyone has friends that they would be willing to do anything for.

However, when one person is making a major financial investment, and the other is making a very minor one - there are going to be more feelings involved. ESPECIALLY when those two people don't have a very strong personal relationship, or haven't even ever met.

From the extra seat view, there are seemingly all positives. $99 for a season ticket - that's unbelievable. I wish I could have one myself. The extra STH benefits would obviously not apply, but it's a way to go to ALL the home games.

Personally, I will most likely get the extra seats - we have a lot of friends I would like to bring to games. I will probably have extra tickets that I give to people on the boards for individual games.

clam posted above that we were bitching about STHs not getting ticket deals when individual game buyers were - and now we're bitching when we get a benefit. That's the point here - it SHOULD benefit the STH. To me, taking friends and family to games when they come to town benefits me. Giving my 'STH benefits' to virtual strangers does not.

If someone was a STH and was not going to exercise their option - then it would definately benifit everyone to offer it up just so it doesn't get wasted. Which I think was the original request.

[ PM fickelchook ]   __________________
Suck it down

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Redline

April 15, 2003 3:20:02 pm

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hockeyjerk said...
quote:
rplumley said...

Exactly...good luck selling the seat for much more than 99$ when it is not even a gauranteed seat. I know if someone talked me into splitting the 99$ plus the cost of their season ticket, and then late in the season the team said, sorry...we're taking them back...I would be one pissed mother.

I think some of you are misinterpreting the offer. They will stop selling the $99 seats after a number have been sold. The tickets you have brought will not be rescinded.

[ PM Redline ]   __________________
Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." The London Underground is not a Political Movement and Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hockeyjerk

April 15, 2003 3:21:53 pm

Roidweiser

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Blank said...

If someone was a STH and was not going to exercise their option - then it would definately benifit everyone to offer it up just so it doesn't get wasted. Which I think was the original request.

EXACTLY

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

kdm

April 15, 2003 3:22:54 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
adam in 115 said...
Again, I don't see where you guys are getting that the tickets themselves can be "revoked," as in not honored then resold. All I see is that the offer may be withdrawn if demand is too high. Here are the official rules. What am I missing?

I'm guessing they see it in this bit of boilerplate.

The Atlanta Thrashers reserve the right to revoke the Special $99 tickets at any time.

But if you look at the back of your regular tickets, its says they're revocable, too.

[ PM kdm ]   __________________
"Pay no attention to that bush, moving around over there by that tree, it's just a bush. Nothing to look twice at. Nothing to be alarmed about." - Carl Spackler

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

fickelchook

April 15, 2003 3:24:29 pm

StrongBad's Little Sister

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hockeyjerk said...
quote:
Blank said...

EXACTLY

However, what STH in their right mind would give up a whole season's worth of tickets for $99?

[ PM fickelchook ]   __________________
Suck it down

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

adam in 310

April 15, 2003 3:26:11 pm

Great Scoring Chance

[ Link to this post ]

In response to KDM, you're right. See my last post. It's a condition that attaches to all tickets. It's a license. It means, for example, that if you act like a drunk idiot, they can deny you admission/kick you out. Nothing more.

adam in 115

--Charlie Brown

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Thrashtress

April 15, 2003 3:26:23 pm

Statstress

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Blank said...
quote:
hockeyjerk said...
quote:
Blank said...If someone was a STH and was not going to exercise their option - then it would definately benifit everyone to offer it up just so it doesn't get wasted. Which I think was the original request.
EXACTLY

However, what STH in their right mind would give up a whole season's worth of tickets for $99?

I don't understand what you guys are talking about here. You can't ONLY exercise an option for $99, you have to also buy the tickets you had last year. That's what #1 says.

[ PM Thrashtress ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3  4 5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread