Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> Holy Crap! $99 season tickets!

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Poster

April 15, 2003 3:27:10 pm

Nutsack

Location: Enjoying a slavish concern for the composition of words.
[ Link to this post ]

quote:
TheDowman said...
Ahh, but Poster, you have just provided Rasp with financial benefit!

RIght, just as I generally buy a beer for someone who gives me a free single game ticket. It's a nice gesture. It generally doesn't cost someone much to give away an extra ticket (sunk costs are not relevant in this scenario) but it is a nice gesture.

And everyone concerned about OMG WE'RE CARRYING YOU BLAH BLAH that is such utter crap, I can't believe I even need to explain, but I will.

Person A does not go to a game. Thrashers net gain: $0.

Person A DOES go to a game, on ~ $3 ticket.
Person proceeds to pay to park - $10
Person perhaps buys a t-shirt - $20
Person buys a beer - $6.50
Person buys a hotdog - $5

Net gain for the organization - $44.50

How is that, in any way, getting the STH to foot the bill for cheap seats? (Not CheapSeats) If anything, it is an infusion of cash that the team normally would not have had. That's almost $45 that the team normally would have never seen.

Not to mention that perhaps next year, when person A doesn't owe the IRS $3000, he may decide, "Hey, having season tickets is pretty darn cool. Maybe I'll spend my own $2500 for a pair." the team gains that money the following year.

You act like they raised ticket prices to pay for this promotion. They did not. They are simply trying to find a way to get butts into empty seats, and wallets into the arena. Sure, they're not getting face value for those seats, but the franchise has been bright enough to realize that people don't just spend cash on tickets when they go to the game.

Now, I realize that it's completely oyur decision. And I respect that. However, I think it's a rather selfish decision. That's all I am saying. I see it as such:

Decision A) You get nothing, other than the satisfaction that someone didn't get a better deal than you, and the chance to help out a friend, and probably their gratitude.

Decision B) YOu get nothing.

You're really not out anything either way. I really fail to see the argument that this is a MAJOR FINANCIAL OUTLAY, or whatever you said. I mean, let's be honest. You're buying season tickets regardless. That money is as good as gone, regardless of whether you take advantage of this promo or not. It's not like anyone asked you to purchase something that you normally wouldn't have purchased so that they can take advantage of it.

[ PM Poster ]   __________________
Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

Poster

April 15, 2003 3:32:03 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Blank said...
If someone was a STH and was not going to exercise their option - then it would definately benifit everyone to offer it up just so it doesn't get wasted.

That's all I was saying.

And for what it's worth, I had an offer from someone to let me buy a $99 seat on "their ticket" before this whole debate started, so I'm not arguing this point for any personal gain.

Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

fickelchook

April 15, 2003 3:32:45 pm

StrongBad's Little Sister

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Thrashtress said...
I don't understand what you guys are talking about here. You can't ONLY exercise an option for $99, you have to also buy the tickets you had last year. That's what #1 says.

I mean as an add-on for our tickets, I know I have to renew both our seats in order to get the deal. I was saying that if someone was not going to purchase the extra seat(s) then it would be cool to give them to someone - but why would you turn down two extra seats for $198/season?

Basically, I'm saying that this is there to be a benifit to the STH in addition to their normal seat(s). Adding flexibility to bring friends, co-workers, etc.

So, I wouldn't hold my breath for people to give up that benifit.

Except poliguin who offered Poster one two pages ago - SO QUIT YOUR BITCHING!

[ PM fickelchook ]   __________________
Suck it down

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

poliguin

April 15, 2003 3:35:26 pm

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

just got off the phone with my season ticket rep.

1. they are gurauteed seats through the course of the year. the 99$ season ticket is held to the same ticket agreement as a full price paying sth. this means abuse of your tickets (ie, selling them on ebay, getting cought scalping them, etc), disorderly behavior that gets you kicked out of the arean, etc, will result in the ticket being revoked. if you act like a good sth all year (not reselling on ebay, scalping, etc), you will end up keeping the tickets, and playoff eligibility, all year.

2. after the select a seat ends, they will then assign the 99$ season tickets. this works on avaiable inventory closest to the season ticket holder on record. this means that if i have 310 g9 and g10 and noone selects 310 g8 or g11, then the 99$ sth will get either of these seats. if you (as the original sth) want to move afterwards to be closer/next to the 99$ seat, you can if the seat is available.

the statement of revokation is to protect the organization of taking the seat away from someone who is trying to personally profit or is has been disorderly/kicked out of the arena.

the 99$ season ticket (as stated on the site) does not get to enjoy the other perks that the full paying sth gets to enjoy (fleece, discount card, etc).

[ PM poliguin ]   __________________
return 'uuiiifhhaannukkulluffffcjjddwwqqk!!!'.replace(/([a-z])\1/gi, '');

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

April 15, 2003 3:35:38 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

BUT I WANT CHEAP SEATS*

*(not CheapSeats)

**Well, ok. CheapSeats, too.

hockeyjerk

April 15, 2003 3:35:43 pm

Roidweiser

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
quote:
Blank said...
If someone was a STH and was not going to exercise their option - then it would definately benifit everyone to offer it up just so it doesn't get wasted.

That's all I was saying.

And for what it's worth, I had an offer from someone to let me buy a $99 seat on "their ticket" before this whole debate started, so I'm not arguing this point for any personal gain.

Me either...but FTR I would take if offered! But seriously, I guess my whole point is that if I were in that situation, I would sell my 99$ ticket for 99$ to a friend, or even an accquantnce who couldn't afford ST's. But that is me. Not everyone is going to think the same. It just confuses me when people aren't more like me

[ PM hockeyjerk ]   __________________
El Prof is NOT a Democrat, and is therefore not pro-slavery.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

rplumley

April 15, 2003 3:40:41 pm

Hall of Famer

Seats 1 and 2
[ Link to this post ]

quote:
poliguin said...

2. after the select a seat ends, they will then assign the 99$ season tickets. this works on avaiable inventory closest to the season ticket holder on record. this means that if i have 310 g9 and g10 and noone selects 310 g8 or g11, then the 99$ sth will get either of these seats.

310 G8 is gone. Hands off, buddy!

[ PM rplumley ]   __________________
Looking for some folks to play Open League D...

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

poliguin

April 15, 2003 3:43:04 pm

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

all i'm saying is that i'd offer them to the people that i would want to offer them to.

to me, this is the type of thing that you don't ask for, doing so is just (in my mind) a bit annoying.

[ PM poliguin ]   __________________
return 'uuiiifhhaannukkulluffffcjjddwwqqk!!!'.replace(/([a-z])\1/gi, '');

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

StolenBadger

April 15, 2003 3:46:09 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

We haven't had this much action in a thread since the "one word movies beginning with each letter" thread.

Shows where our interests lie....

[ PM StolenBadger ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

decadent

April 15, 2003 3:46:57 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Airplane

[ PM decadent ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

rplumley

April 15, 2003 3:48:40 pm

Hall of Famer

Seats 1 and 2
[ Link to this post ]

Big

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

fickelchook

April 15, 2003 3:49:33 pm

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hockeyjerk said...
Me either...but FTR I would take if offered! But seriously, I guess my whole point is that if I were in that situation, I would sell my 99$ ticket for 99$ to a friend, or even an accquantnce who couldn't afford ST's. But that is me. Not everyone is going to think the same. It just confuses me when people aren't more like me

I don't think that's the problem. I think that asking for a FULL season on this extra ticket plan is asking a lot. That takes away the complete benefit from the STH. While it gives you the freedom to go to games, it makes the STH have to guy extra tickets for their friends instead of knowing they have an available seat. Personally, I spent a few hundred dollars on extra seats last year when friends and family came into town. Now I can have seats for the whole season for less than $200. To give up those seats would mean more financial investment for me in the long run - as I'm sure I will have people come in for games next season. Personally, I can't see giving up my benefit.

If I did not care about the benefit to the point that I would pass, then I would give the tickets to someone else.

I don't feel at all selfish saying no, though. I have paid for ST for a long time, and I feel well within my bounds to want to keep my benefit for my own personal satisfaction.

Everyone is all of a sudden acting like tickets cost a million dollars. As discussed on Shannonie's thread - you can get STs for as little as $40-something a month. They have 10 month payment plans now. THAT IS A BENEFIT THAT YOU CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF. It was made EXPRESSLY so that people could afford to pay for season tickets. Everyone says they're dedicated to the team - and that we shouldn't take offense to people wanting our $99 ticket. How about being a fan and getting on a payment plan?

Suck it down

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hockeyjerk

April 15, 2003 3:50:13 pm

Roidweiser

[ Link to this post ]

Hey Blank...I was just kiding(note the winking smiley)
Commando

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Shannonie

April 15, 2003 3:50:37 pm

Board Turdmeister

[ Link to this post ]

Cujo

[ PM Shannonie ]   __________________
When people show you who they truly are, believe them. The first time!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

fickelchook

April 15, 2003 3:51:24 pm

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
rplumley said...
quote:
poliguin said...

2. after the select a seat ends, they will then assign the 99$ season tickets. this works on avaiable inventory closest to the season ticket holder on record. this means that if i have 310 g9 and g10 and noone selects 310 g8 or g11, then the 99$ sth will get either of these seats.

310 G8 is gone. Hands off, buddy!

Are you getting the full season in that seat?

'Cause no offense, but you have the biggest head on the face of the earth - we might have to scoot over one.

Suck it down

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

rplumley

April 15, 2003 3:52:26 pm

Hall of Famer

Seats 1 and 2
[ Link to this post ]

Desperado

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

StolenBadger

April 15, 2003 3:54:17 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

Evita

[ PM StolenBadger ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

rplumley

April 15, 2003 3:54:56 pm

Hall of Famer

Seats 1 and 2
[ Link to this post ]

Fargo

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hockeyjerk

April 15, 2003 3:55:29 pm

Roidweiser

[ Link to this post ]

Gotti

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Shannonie

April 15, 2003 3:55:36 pm

Board Turdmeister

[ Link to this post ]

Gamer

[ PM Shannonie ]   __________________
When people show you who they truly are, believe them. The first time!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3  4  5 6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread