Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> OT: Whats with your attitude to the French?

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Rasp

April 18, 2003 10:10:05 pm

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
SabreOfParadise said...
PS Thanks for the beer! I'm safe and sound back home now enjoying my Easer break.

My pleasure. Glad you got to see such a good Thrashers game. Glad you made it home ok. Only 2 more days until I get to have a beer myself...

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

thrashersrule1

April 18, 2003 10:15:25 pm

4th Line Grinder

[ Link to this post ]

Also, another reasons i believe France didnt want to get in this, war is the oil. Basically, as i see it the French are getting ungodly amounts of oil cheap, wheras the Americans basically gets screwed by OPEC (because everyone hates the Americans for being to cocky, but hey we have earned to be cocky after what we basically did to save the World in the Deuce, but that is anyother rabbit trail)and the French probably wouldnt get sucha lucrative oil deal anymore.

[ PM thrashersrule1 ]   __________________
A co. /1-19th

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ThrasherB

April 21, 2003 8:29:57 am

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

Um, trule1,you do realize that gas prices in France are about 4 times what they are here, right? And that Opec doesn't regulate oil prices directly, they only regulate oil production, and thereby affect oil prices by supply and demand, but the world markets set the price for oil. Unless there is some bit of information that I haven't heard, your argument is seriously flawed.

[ PM ThrasherB ]   __________________
"I am not protesting against the conduct of the war, but against the political errors and insincerities for which the fighting men are being sacrificed. On behalf of those who are suffering now I make this protest against the deception which is being prac

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

flerd_trandle

April 21, 2003 10:15:18 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

TR1,

While France used moral arguments against the war, oil and their economy did have some part in it. Much of France's oil comes from Iraq. In fact, French companies did 1.5 billion dollars in business with Iraq, per year, under the UN's oil-for-food programs. Total Fina Elf, France's largest oil company, had exclusive deals to develop some Iraqi oil fields.

Now that Saddam's regime has been ousted, do these business deals still hold? Not only France, but other vocal opponents of the war, Russia and Germany, had economic interests in pre-war Iraq. That is why so many in the international community not only opposed the war, but are vehemently opposed to US companies profiting from rebuilding Iraq; contracts which they believe they should hold.

[ PM flerd_trandle ]   __________________
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi - Not all those who own a musical instrument are musicians.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ThrasherB

April 21, 2003 10:57:15 am

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

And just to add to what Flerd said, 46.2% of Iraq's pre-war exports went to the US (for the record, 9.6% to France). The rest of the top four countries that Iraq exported to: Italy 12.2% and Spain 8.6%. So, 67% of Iraqi exports went to countries supporting the war in Iraq.

However, countries like France and Russia had huge amounts coming to them through agreements with Hussein, as flerd said. It will be interesting to see how all of that shakes out, but likely it will be incredibly hard to find any concrete results in the media.

"I am not protesting against the conduct of the war, but against the political errors and insincerities for which the fighting men are being sacrificed. On behalf of those who are suffering now I make this protest against the deception which is being prac

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

thrashersrule1

April 21, 2003 9:47:22 pm

4th Line Grinder

[ Link to this post ]

Hey I actually heard the argument about the oil from some one else and then heard tiny reports that kinda backed it up so it basically took it from there.
But my basic principle that Iraq had a vested interest basically stands.

(And before anybody begins any Republican/Conservative bashing, i originally heard my argument from a Extreme Liberal.)

[ PM thrashersrule1 ]   __________________
A co. /1-19th

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

minotauro

April 22, 2003 3:44:42 pm

Mexitauro

[ Link to this post ]

nm

[ PM minotauro ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

THRASHERVILLE

April 22, 2003 3:48:45 pm

Magically Delicious!

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
minotauro said...
nm

Dammit, man that was gonna be a good post, I worked on that thing for like 8min then it just doesn't go through...

It was gonna be a thread killer for sho'!

[ PM THRASHERVILLE ]   __________________
When God said He would make a halfback or a fullback, He might have said Gale Sayers or He might have said Jim Brown. But when He said He would make the best football player who ever lived, He probably said Walter Payton. -Mike Ditka

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

minotauro

April 22, 2003 3:56:47 pm

Mexitauro

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
thrasherville said...
quote:
minotauro said...
nm

Dammit, man that was gonna be a good post, I worked on that thing for like 8min then it just doesn't go through...

It was gonna be a thread killer for sho'!

I didn't kill it. I just tried to fix that big thing that shows up. It's not my fault that Poster's too busy masturbating and stealing Rasp's avatar (and fucking it up too, because it doesn't work half the time) instead of spending his time working on this thing.

[ PM minotauro ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

April 22, 2003 7:04:40 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

Since I'm in the neighborhood
The biggest reason for the French resistance to the war (this is me digesting a 5 page article in The Economist) is that Chiraq decided to have a big swingin' **** contest between the EU and the U.S. A showdown to announce the EU as a coming superpower if you will. A lot of euros blame Chiraq for picking the right fight at the wrong time. If he wanted to go up against the US for nuclear non-proliferation or the Kyoto accords it would be one thing, but siding with Saddam was stupid. He then pressed it so far that he made a US multilateral initiative impossible (Bush wasn't going to put forth a resolution that failed to pass and France pre-emptively announced that they would be veto).

A BIG reason Americans aren't liked in Paris is that many of us are rubes, who simply don't know how to behave in a city (walking 3-4 across holding hands on crowded sidewalks, walking the wrong way down stairs, stopping in a crowd to open a map, crossing against the light, etc). If you're ever lived in a city with a big tourist season you hate them too. Watching tour buses dump Japanese or Germans by the hundreds for 15 minute photo ops at the Grand Canyon will do the same thing.

As for anti-American French sentiment, I've been there twice, spending a 5 weeks in Paris and the countryside and had one bad experience (a prototypical snobby waiter) and hundreds of wonderful ones. A McDonalds on the Champs d'Elyesee, however is an act of war in a very real way for the French. While they are in love with parts of our culture (Hollywood, Jazz), they detest others (fast food, suburbs). French people LOVE the countryside (even the ones who live in Paris their whole lives), they live for fresh bread, regional food delicacies and wines. Lower class French will literally save for months to be able to afford a meal in a 3 star restaurant.

A little understanding of French culture will go a long way in enjoying the country. But if you aren't willing to do that when visiting other countries, France isn't for you. French people are less openly friendly than Americans (smiles at strangers for instance), and much more formal. You ALWAYS say "Bon Jour/Soir, Madam/Monsieur" when approaching a stranger. If you do that, "Merci" and "Sil vous plais" you're pretty much set.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

Poster

April 22, 2003 8:01:45 pm

Nutsack

Location: Enjoying a slavish concern for the composition of words.
[ Link to this post ]

quote:
minotauro said...
I didn't kill it. I just tried to fix that big thing that shows up. It's not my fault that Poster's too busy masturbating and stealing Rasp's avatar (and fucking it up too, because it doesn't work half the time) instead of spending his time working on this thing.

Been busy as**** at work. Deadlines, and such. What broke?

[ PM Poster ]   __________________
Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

decadent

April 23, 2003 8:56:48 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Frenchie sing along
I kind of it like here in France
Where everything is real advanced
And all the dogs are well behaved
And all the armpits are unshaved
And all the cheese is really stinky
And all the sex is really kinky
I kind of like it here in France

Lyrics by Joe Kerr

[ PM decadent ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

minotauro

April 23, 2003 9:44:10 am

Mexitauro

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
Been busy as**** at work. Deadlines, and such. What broke?

The shamelessly stolen avatars in your signature.

[ PM minotauro ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

April 23, 2003 10:12:45 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
cheapseats said...
A little understanding of French culture will go a long way in enjoying the country.

But their hamburgers taste funny... And they talk all weird.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

decadent

April 23, 2003 10:13:41 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

All the beef in Europe tastes funny. It's the Mad Cow virus.

[ PM decadent ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Thrashman

April 23, 2003 11:39:42 am

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
decadent said...
All the beef in Europe tastes funny. It's the Mad Cow virus.

Wrong, it's 'cause all those stupid french fuckers keep porkin' the cows!

[ PM Thrashman ]   __________________
It doesn't matter what the Pres says if he's drowned out by thousands of DDFs.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ThrasherB

April 23, 2003 11:49:06 am

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

So does this means that after all these years, the Poles are finally gonna catch a break (or if you're from Iowa, the Czechs)? No more Polish jokes, they'll now all be French?

As in, how many Frenchmen to screw in a light bulb? Who knows, they're too busy fucking the cows?

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

decadent

April 23, 2003 11:52:57 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
ThrasherB said...
So does this means that after all these years, the Poles are finally gonna catch a break (or if you're from Iowa, the Czechs)? No more Polish jokes, they'll now all be French?

As in, how many Frenchmen to screw in a light bulb? Who knows, they're too busy fucking the cows?

Nobody knows. They all surrendered as soon as the lights went out.

[ PM decadent ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Thrashman

April 23, 2003 12:19:49 pm

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
decadent said...
quote:
ThrasherB said...

Nobody knows. They all surrendered as soon as the lights went out.

DOOOOPE!

HAHAHHAH

[ PM Thrashman ]   __________________
It doesn't matter what the Pres says if he's drowned out by thousands of DDFs.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

April 23, 2003 5:25:35 pm

Nutsack

Location: Enjoying a slavish concern for the composition of words.
[ Link to this post ]

quote:
minotauro said...
The shamelessly stolen avatars in your signature.

quote:
minotauro said...
I didn't kill it. I just tried to fix that big thing that shows up. It's not my fault that Poster's too busy [to spend] his time working on this thing.

No, you simp. The thing I quoted second.

[ PM Poster ]   __________________
Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3 4  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread