Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> Forbes magazine says hello to Winnipeg Thrashers

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Matheos

November 14, 2005 8:26:41 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
poliguin said...
and if the atlanta spirit are going to sell anything off, the hawks are a bigger looser, ha!

W/L records have nothing to do with it. The ASG collects far more revenue from the Hawks than the Thrashers. It's not even close.

[ PM Matheos ]   __________________
it's probably not too sensible for me to get loaded while I listen to "Tooth And Nail" all by myself. But I can't deny my heart: I like to drink, and I like to rock. You think I'm an idiot? Fine. You don't have to come over.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

james72

November 14, 2005 9:20:59 pm

10-0-2 De Flame of Fall 1978

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Matheos said...
quote:
poliguin said...
and if the atlanta spirit are going to sell anything off, the hawks are a bigger looser, ha!

W/L records have nothing to do with it. The ASG collects far more revenue from the Hawks than the Thrashers. It's not even close.

Yep...You are right....W/L records and those couple of thousand empty seats don`t mean anything. The Hawks Tv cuts and corporate support are high level.Indirectly the Thrashers are benefitting from these dollars too. ASG has deep pockets and are committed long term via the deal with Philips arena to keep both teams here in Atlanta. By the way.....Philips arena is considered one of the top arenas in both sports.

[ PM james72 ]   __________________
"If you don't think that we can be a playoff hockey team then you can stay in the locker room. We'll play with four or five guys if we have to." Bob Hartley

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Slasher77

November 14, 2005 10:10:23 pm

Top Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

This guy's a whack. I work research for a commercial real estate firm and we did a study on population over the next 20 years. The population of the Southeast is expected to increase by 24% over the next 20 years. Florida's population alone is expected to increase by 40%. Take a guess where all of these people are coming from? This trend has been happening over the past decade and these people, along with everyone already here will be wanting their hockey.

[ PM Slasher77 ]   __________________
-the 69th member

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

james72

November 14, 2005 10:34:22 pm

10-0-2 De Flame of Fall 1978

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Slasher77 said...
This guy's a whack. I work research for a commercial real estate firm and we did a study on population over the next 20 years. The population of the Southeast is expected to increase by 24% over the next 20 years. Florida's population alone is expected to increase by 40%. Take a guess where all of these people are coming from? This trend has been happening over the past decade and these people, along with everyone already here will be wanting their hockey.

Right again....The Sun Belt is where to be...I think the Research Triangle in North Carolina , which incorporates Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and the Greensboro- Winston Salem area may have the most potential for growth in the south in the long run. All these cities are in a 40-50 mile radius of the RBC arena. That is why the NHL needs to keep the Canes in this area. The demographics are perfect for hockey.

Southwest Fla is turning into a monster as far as population.Tampa will have New York type numbers to draw from in 20 years.

Here in Atlanta.....In 20 years ,the Northern Arc of Gwinnett, North Fulton, Cherokee and Cobb could support an NHL team by themselves.

Say what you want about Gary Bettman.....I remember reading an article way back where he said that for the NHL must be successful in the south to be taken seriously by major sponsorship and television. The man knows about long term marketing.

I don`t see any of these teams relocating.

[ PM james72 ]   __________________
"If you don't think that we can be a playoff hockey team then you can stay in the locker room. We'll play with four or five guys if we have to." Bob Hartley

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

dmatos

November 15, 2005 7:21:19 am

Entropy Generator's Dad

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hockeyaddict said...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2223552

Love this quote:

Specifically, Anschutz Entertainment Group would like to have Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins come to Kansas City when their new building opens in fall 2007

--
Boy, Mario just got shoved to the side.

[ PM dmatos ]   __________________
Pics of the kid at g33kbaby.com or go see my flickr stream
Go buy some crap at Tanga it's like woot.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

popmusik878

November 15, 2005 2:29:43 pm

Top Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
tarheelthrasher17 said...
"Pretty" good, I guess, but the lower bowl was nowhere near full on Saturday night against a division rival. Some of the midweek games we expect to draw, like Toronto, have seemed awfully empty this year, too. I wouldn't really call Raleigh's nightly support all that good.

Yeah, but who gives a **** about the lower bowl, $250 seats? It's the upper bowls that have PLENTY of people at every game. If these teams would realize that most fans won't attend a Tuesday night game at the expense of half a week's salary, they'd know why those lower seats are empty.

Plus, the**** 7 p.m. start times are AWFUL. We left in plenty of time for the Pittsburgh game last week and still didn't make it for the puck drop.

AND, check these stats out from the ESPN.com article:
The Isles, winners of four straight Cups from 1980 to 1983, have averaged 12,948 through their first eight home games. They have one sellout and couldn't manage to sell out against the crosstown rival Rangers.

The Devils, winners of three Stanley Cups since 1995, have failed to sell out a single home game.

In Buffalo, the Sabres are averaging 15,711 through nine home games and boast two sellouts (against Montreal and Toronto), along with an embarrassing announced crowd of 8,552 against Washington.

And then there's Original Six member Chicago, which has one sellout and three home dates with fewer than 13,000 in attendance.

In three Southern markets, history has shown attendance jumps with the start of the holiday season and the end of the college football and NFL seasons. Through eight home games, the Hurricanes are averaging 14,934 with one sellout and the Thrashers have averaged 14,025 with one sellout. The Predators are averaging 14,261 with two sellouts through nine.

[ PM popmusik878 ]   Edited by popmusik878 November 15, 2005 6:39:25 am.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Green Hornet

November 15, 2005 5:23:46 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
popmusik878 said...
Through eight home games, the Hurricanes are averaging 14,934 with one sellout and the Thrashers have averaged 14,025 with one sellout. The Predators are averaging 14,261 with two sellouts through nine.

I don't know where these guys got their figures, but according to these figures (linked below), they're shortchanging us. We're actually averaging just over 15,600 per game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

[ PM Green Hornet ]   __________________
Let's roll, Kato!!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

psychotyc

November 16, 2005 9:30:00 am

4th Line Grinder

[ Link to this post ]

for us in atlanta with a craptastic transit system and all of our horrid traffic ya 7pm is a little early...
then theres ticket prices... i would love to know where the drop in ticket costs is that ive seen tossed around... they drop the ticket price down for the 200s and up would make a bet they would see a lot more ppl show up

[ PM psychotyc ]   __________________
beer is good. more beer is more good.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

November 16, 2005 10:16:58 am

Nutsack

Location: Enjoying a slavish concern for the composition of words.
[ Link to this post ]

quote:
psychotyc said...
for us in atlanta with a craptastic transit system and all of our horrid traffic ya 7pm is a little early...
then theres ticket prices... i would love to know where the drop in ticket costs is that ive seen tossed around... they drop the ticket price down for the 200s and up would make a bet they would see a lot more ppl show up

They did drop the ticket prices. If you're waiting for the advent of the $900 Club level season ticket, then you've got a long wait.

[ PM Poster ]   __________________
Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

ShutUp

February 2, 2012 1:24:06 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

HEY LOOKY AT THIS HERE THRED!

[ PM ShutUp ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

AMike

February 3, 2012 4:50:26 pm

I give bad gambling advice

[ Link to this post ]

Quite interesting that this thread nailed it 6 plus years ago.

During that season, the Thrashers were 23rd in attendance. The Hurricanes finished 21st. The bottom 5 teams in attendance then were: 26. New Jersey 27. St. Louis 28. Washington 29. Chicago 30. Islanders

This season, the bottom 5 are: 26. Columbus 27. Anaheim 28. Dallas 29. Islanders 30. Phoenix (Winnipeg is #25, but their attendance is fixed at 15k per game due to the arena size)

A lot has changed since then. Obviously changing the philosophy after Bill Wurtz died and putting a winning product in Chicago has turned that team around from #29 in attendance to #1 today. I thought Dallas would have been a more viable market, but their attendance has dropped nearly 4k since 2005-06. Of course they have had ownership issues with Tom Hicks and now a new owner.

The two likely candidates to move would be the Islanders (consistent bad attendance and old building) and Phoenix (league owned albatross). I guess we can dig this back up in 6 plus years to see what happens.

[ PM AMike ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheBrickwall

February 7, 2012 9:48:42 am

He's a Brick...House
He's mighty mighty, just lettin' it all hang out

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
james72 said...
quote:
Slasher77 said...

Right again....The Sun Belt is where to be...I think the Research Triangle in North Carolina , which incorporates Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and the Greensboro- Winston Salem area may have the most potential for growth in the south in the long run. All these cities are in a 40-50 mile radius of the RBC arena. That is why the NHL needs to keep the Canes in this area. The demographics are perfect for hockey.

Southwest Fla is turning into a monster as far as population.Tampa will have New York type numbers to draw from in 20 years.

Here in Atlanta.....In 20 years ,the Northern Arc of Gwinnett, North Fulton, Cherokee and Cobb could support an NHL team by themselves.

Say what you want about Gary Bettman.....I remember reading an article way back where he said that for the NHL must be successful in the south to be taken seriously by major sponsorship and television. The man knows about long term marketing.

I don`t see any of these teams relocating.

YAY! Only 13 more years til the NHL returns and a real owner has the common sense to put an arena where his fan base is. Wonder what our colors and logo will be? Somebody get on that will ya!

[ PM TheBrickwall ]   __________________
"We redshirt Miss Americas at Ole Miss."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bongo

February 8, 2012 10:49:13 am

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

I don't think it'll happen Brick. ASG did too good a job at poisoning the well.

[ PM Bongo ]   __________________
"Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man."...Waylon Jennings

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheBrickwall

February 8, 2012 2:31:10 pm

He's a Brick...House
He's mighty mighty, just lettin' it all hang out

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Bongo said...
I don't think it'll happen Brick. ASG did too good a job at poisoning the well.

You're right Bongo. I was more joshing' at James72's post about there being 15million people living north of the perimeter in 2025. Only problem is that in 13 years NO ONE still will have figured out how to move traffic from 75>400>85 or vice versa so even if you did live north of the perimeter, you'd still have to leave at 2:30pm to make it for puck drop!

[ PM TheBrickwall ]   __________________
"We redshirt Miss Americas at Ole Miss."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bongo

February 9, 2012 7:47:19 am

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

That's why MARTA is SMARTA. Of all the excuses made about why the Thrash couldn't draw fans, the arena location comes in 2nd after HS and College football. Total and rather unimaginative bullshit. Neither of these seemed to be a factor during the Knight's time here. I'm almost positive they don't play HS Football on weeknights.

[ PM Bongo ]   __________________
"Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man."...Waylon Jennings

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheDowman

February 10, 2012 9:58:37 am

Nerdroach of the sea!

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Bongo said...
That's why MARTA is SMARTA. Of all the excuses made about why the Thrash couldn't draw fans, the arena location comes in 2nd after HS and College football. Total and rather unimaginative bullshit. Neither of these seemed to be a factor during the Knight's time here. I'm almost positive they don't play HS Football on weeknights.

To be fair, back when the Knights were in town in the early and mid-90s, Atlanta's population was a LOT lower. A lot of transplants have moved here in the intervening 20 years, and most of them moved to the north side of town, making commutes from Alpharetta, Kennesaw, Duluth, etc (which by that time were already not good) into "OMG!!! WTF was I thinking!"-kinda drives.

[ PM TheDowman ]   __________________
"If there's no good reason for a law to exist, then there is a great reason for it to not exist." - H.A.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

COUSIN ELVIS

August 2, 2012 7:40:23 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

FORBES DONT * AROUND BOY

THEY SAY YOUR GONNA DIE TRIPIN DOWN THE STAIRS NEXT WEEK YOU BEST GIVE YOUR HOUSE AWAY AND MOVE INTO A SINGLE STORY B4 THEN.

[ PM COUSIN ELVIS ]   __________________
http://twitter.com/COUSINELVIS
"Do you guys have room for me in lala land??" MILLWOOD ON 16MAR10

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2 )
Previous Thread | Next Thread