Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> Ziggy Palffy retires...

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Holland

January 18, 2006 11:48:46 am

lolland

[ Link to this post ]

Ziggy Palffy retires...
http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/1604.0.php

quote:
ZIGGY PALFFY ANNOUNCES HIS RETIREMENT
01/18/2006

PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Penguins right wing Ziggy Palffy has announced his retirement, effective immediately, due to personal reasons.

Palffy, 33, ranked second on the Penguins this season in scoring with 42 points (11+31) in 42 games.

The native of Skalica, Slovakia played 12 NHL seasons with the New York Islanders, the Los Angeles Kings and the Penguins. In 684 career games, he had 329 goals and 384 assists for 713 points.

Palffy was drafted by the New York Islanders in the second round (26th overall) of the 1991 Entry Draft. He played six seasons with the Islanders (1993-1999), recording 331 points (168+163) in 331 games. Palffy scored 40 or more goals in three straight seasons with the Islanders (1995-96, 1996-97, 1997-98).

Palffy was traded to Los Angeles on June 20, 1999 and played five seasons with the Kings (1999-2004), recording 340 points (150+190) in 311 games.

[ PM Holland ]  

MO

January 18, 2006 11:50:49 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Holland said...
http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/1604.0.php

quote:
ZIGGY PALFFY ANNOUNCES HIS RETIREMENT
01/18/2006

PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Penguins right wing Ziggy Palffy has announced his retirement, effective immediately, due to personal reasons.

Palffy, 33, ranked second on the Penguins this season in scoring with 42 points (11+31) in 42 games.

The native of Skalica, Slovakia played 12 NHL seasons with the New York Islanders, the Los Angeles Kings and the Penguins. In 684 career games, he had 329 goals and 384 assists for 713 points.

Palffy was drafted by the New York Islanders in the second round (26th overall) of the 1991 Entry Draft. He played six seasons with the Islanders (1993-1999), recording 331 points (168+163) in 331 games. Palffy scored 40 or more goals in three straight seasons with the Islanders (1995-96, 1996-97, 1997-98).

Palffy was traded to Los Angeles on June 20, 1999 and played five seasons with the Kings (1999-2004), recording 340 points (150+190) in 311 games.

Oh great...what happened, did he pull a JORDAN too?!

Yeah, we'll be seein him play for the Pirates for 2 years, then he'll come back. This fuckin sucks. :sad:....:sad:

[ PM MO ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hockeyfan822

January 18, 2006 11:54:04 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

That is so shocking! I just read that myself.

Wonder what's up?

[ PM hockeyfan822 ]   __________________
Rasp said...
It's a hockey game, not a try-out of American Idol.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hockeyfan822

January 18, 2006 12:04:35 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Maybe not so shocking.

Penguins RW Ziggy Palffy Retiring

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Pittsburgh Penguins right wing Ziggy Palffy is retiring. The Penguins cited personal reasons for Palffy's retirement in a news release on Wednesday. A Slovak newspaper reported that Palffy made the decision because of a lingering shoulder injury.

General Manager Craig Patrick was scheduled to address the media about Palffy's decision late Wednesday morning. Palffy's agent, Paul Kraus, didn't immediately return calls from The Associated Press.

"I have agreed on all matters related to my retirement with the Pittsburgh management," Palffy told the Sport daily, a Slovak newspaper. "There is no point in suffering any longer."

The 33-year-old Palffy was injured while playing for the Los Angeles Kings at Anaheim in January 2004. He had reconstructive surgery on his right shoulder twice, but the problems persisted.

"I have talked to my doctor and he did not recommend a third operation," Palffy told the newspaper.

Earlier this year, Palffy retired from the Slovak national team ahead of the Turin Olympics.

Despite the injury, Palffy was second in scoring for the Penguins with 42 points (11 goals, 31 assists) in 42 games. He signed a $13.5 million, three-year contract with the Penguins as a free agent in August and spent most of his time on a line with rookie Sidney Crosby.

Born in Skalica, Slovakia, Palffy had 329 goals and 384 assists in 684 games in 12 NHL seasons with the New York Islanders, the Kings and Penguins. He scored 40 or more goals in three straight seasons with the Islanders.

Palffy is the second free agent the Penguins have lost to injury this season. Goaltender Jocelyn Thibault was expected to miss the rest of the season with hip surgery.

Rasp said...

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jarndyce

January 18, 2006 12:07:53 pm

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

It's always sad when a great player has their career shortened because of injury. Ziggy was massively talented, but playing on such a shitty team with a shoulder that kills you every time you try to do something would certainly lead one to consider retiring.

I'll say this, though: I'm awfully glad that DW didn't sign him this offseason...

[ PM Jarndyce ]   __________________
"Many kinds of monkeys have a strong taste for tea, coffee and spirituous liqueurs." - Charles Darwin

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hockeyfan822

January 18, 2006 12:18:37 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Jarndyce said...
Ziggy was massively talented, but playing on such a shitty team with a shoulder that kills you every time you try to do something would certainly lead one to consider retiring.

Those who have lived in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.

Rasp said...

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

January 18, 2006 1:07:49 pm

Nutsack

Location: Enjoying a slavish concern for the composition of words.
[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hockeyfan822 said...
quote:
Jarndyce said...
Ziggy was massively talented, but playing on such a shitty team with a shoulder that kills you every time you try to do something would certainly lead one to consider retiring.

Good point.

New rule: Since the Thrashers were, at one point, shitty; all Thrasher fans are hereforth banned from commenting on the shittiness of any other team.

[ PM Poster ]   __________________
Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

decadent

January 18, 2006 1:17:40 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
quote:
hockeyfan822 said...
quote:
Jarndyce said...

Good point.

New rule: Since the Thrashers were, at one point, shitty; all Thrasher fans are hereforth banned from commenting on the shittiness of any other team.

even the Leafs?

[ PM decadent ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

kopykat

January 18, 2006 3:15:18 pm

Hall of Famer

Location: sure, I tell you, you tell someone else? I don't think so...
[ Link to this post ]

now if only Gonchar would retire the Pens might have a shot!

[ PM kopykat ]   __________________
some people are like slinkies...... they aren't really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

http://www.bringyuenglingtogeorgia.com reportedly coming October 27!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hockeyfan822

January 18, 2006 4:18:36 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
quote:
hockeyfan822 said...
quote:
Jarndyce said...

Good point.

I like that rule, smartass.

Rasp said...

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Boatdrinks

January 18, 2006 9:44:47 pm

BOOO YAHHH Skeedaddy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
quote:
hockeyfan822 said...
quote:
Jarndyce said...

Good point.

Is Mike Vick shittiness still fair game?

[ PM Boatdrinks ]   __________________
There will always be war, so you might as well pick a fucking side.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

January 18, 2006 10:07:21 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Boatdrinks said...

Those who have lived in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

So if you have ever been a fan of a shitty team, been ON a shittty team, or even just participated in any shittiness any time at any point in your life, you should not comment on anyone else's shittiness.

This also applies to things you have never done.

For example, I am not allowed to say that Ticketmaster sucks, because I have never run a national ticket agency.

Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

Boatdrinks

January 18, 2006 10:23:15 pm

BOOO YAHHH Skeedaddy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
quote:
Boatdrinks said...

So if you have ever been a fan of a shitty team, been ON a shittty team, or even just participated in any shittiness any time at any point in your life, you should not comment on anyone else's shittiness.

For example, I am not allowed to say that Ticketmaster sucks, because I have never run a national ticket agency.

Well hell. While we are at it, lets get rid of losers and just declare everyone a winner.

::: puts on his Dropkick Murphys ski cap and flips off ticketmaster:::

DYSWIDT

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

January 18, 2006 10:37:34 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Boatdrinks said...
quote:
Poster said...
quote:
Boatdrinks said...

Well hell. While we are at it, lets get rid of losers and just declare everyone a winner.

DYSWIDT

ISWYDT. $51.50 for 2 $18.50 tickets to DKM

Boatdrinks

January 18, 2006 10:40:40 pm

BOOO YAHHH Skeedaddy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
quote:
Boatdrinks said...
quote:
Poster said...
quote:
Boatdrinks said...

DYSWIDT

ISWYDT. $51.50 for 2 $18.50 tickets to DKM

That makes baby Jesus cry.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Previous Thread | Next Thread