Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> Natural Gas Providers?

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Millwood

July 6, 2006 4:07:25 pm

Top Yeap

[ Link to this post ]

Bump bitch!!

[ PM Millwood ]   __________________
This marble I just ate is soft, chewy and sweet. It reminds me of a gumball. - Barack Obama

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Millwood

July 6, 2006 5:08:40 pm

Top Yeap

[ Link to this post ]

Well one of the mods has a sense of humor. Thank you nameless Mod. Finally this thread is back where it belongs.

[ PM Millwood ]   __________________
This marble I just ate is soft, chewy and sweet. It reminds me of a gumball. - Barack Obama

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

JG

July 6, 2006 5:29:01 pm

Fatty Banger

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Millwood said...Well one of the mods has a sense of humor.

I call bullshit.

[ PM JG ]   __________________
CheapSeats said, "Not quote drani pout."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Dave the Dawg

July 6, 2006 10:45:43 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

If you're thinking about fixing, don't do it yet. Ride it out for a while but watch the natural gas market carefully. If a hurricane disrupts gulf production, you'll still have until the 5th of the next month to lock your price.

Watch this thread and I'll try to remember to make a recommendation for you in time.

[ PM Dave the Dawg ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Dave the Dawg

July 27, 2006 10:54:51 am

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

Alright, I'll say now is a good time to lock in. Do it before the 5th of August because that's when the marketers change their prices. Walton EMC is currently at $1.10/therm.

Another interesting product is offered by a company called Catalyst. For an extra premium of about $5-15 per month (depending on your consumption), you pay the monthly variable rate (currently $.818/therm) and are capped at their current fixed rate (currently $1.174/therm). So you're protected in case rates go to $1.70 like they did last winter.

[ PM Dave the Dawg ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Valabiktorian

July 28, 2006 12:50:25 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

I just locked in for the year with Gas South at $1.11 a therm.

[ PM Valabiktorian ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

July 28, 2006 1:20:57 pm

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Dave the Dawg said...
Alright, I'll say now is a good time to lock in. Do it before the 5th of August because that's when the marketers change their prices. Walton EMC is currently at $1.10/therm.

Thanks, Dave. I signed up with Walton myself.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

TheBrickwall

August 8, 2006 7:22:32 pm

He's a Brick...House
He's mighty mighty, just lettin' it all hang out

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Dave the Dawg said...

Another interesting product is offered by a company called Catalyst. For an extra premium of about $5-15 per month (depending on your consumption), you pay the monthly variable rate (currently $.818/therm) and are capped at their current fixed rate (currently $1.174/therm). So you're protected in case rates go to $1.70 like they did last winter.

Good call Dawgie. Rates went up about $.10/therm with the August changes.

[ PM TheBrickwall ]   __________________
"We redshirt Miss Americas at Ole Miss."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

August 9, 2006 8:58:47 am

Nutsack

Location: Enjoying a slavish concern for the composition of words.
[ Link to this post ]

Crap. I forgot to lock in. Is it too late, or should I do it ASAP?

[ PM Poster ]   __________________
Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

Poster

August 9, 2006 9:00:56 am

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

I signed up 9/16/2006 last year for a 12 month rate at 1.13 per therm.

Can I resign up now and get locked in at their current rate, or am I fucked and have to wait until 9/16?

I am with GNG. Their current PPT is 1.339. Or close to it, at least. 1.3 something.

Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

Rasp

August 9, 2006 9:36:07 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
I signed up 9/16/2006 last year for a 12 month rate at 1.13 per therm.

Can I resign up now and get locked in at their current rate, or am I fucked and have to wait until 9/16?

I am with GNG. Their current PPT is 1.339. Or close to it, at least. 1.3 something.

Try KB56's cump'ny (in gray). They seem pretty cheap.

http://www.psc.state.ga.us/gas/marketerpricing/2006/Aug06/aug06gmpl.asp

Dave the Dawg

August 10, 2006 5:02:11 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...

Agreed, Coweta-Fayette is the choice this month, but no rush. The rates will be effective until Sept. 5. If you want to wait until the end of August and hope for a fall in prices, I will try to advise you then.

Right now the oppressive heat nationwide looks like it has broken or will break soon, and there is absolutely nothing in the tropics to worry about for the next 10 days. We could see prices begin to fall by the end of the month.

GNG will charge you $50 to break your fixed rate contract. Unless prices really spike by the end of August, it may not make sense for Poster to pay that. Depends somewhat on how much you use, and therefore how much you might save over next month's prices. Just hold off and watch this thread, but then be ready to act.

[ PM Dave the Dawg ]   Edited by Dave the Dawg August 10, 2006 9:07:06 am.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

shibuii

August 16, 2006 9:11:35 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

I'm in an all electric house now.

Suck it, Natural Gas Thread!

[ PM shibuii ]   __________________
Millwood said...Vince Young would be a good QB, except for one small factor. He's black. Tough break, Vince.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

August 16, 2006 10:58:08 am

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Dave the Dawg said...
quote:
Rasp said...

Agreed, Coweta-Fayette is the choice this month, but no rush. The rates will be effective until Sept. 5. If you want to wait until the end of August and hope for a fall in prices, I will try to advise you then.

Right now the oppressive heat nationwide looks like it has broken or will break soon, and there is absolutely nothing in the tropics to worry about for the next 10 days. We could see prices begin to fall by the end of the month.

GNG will charge you $50 to break your fixed rate contract. Unless prices really spike by the end of August, it may not make sense for Poster to pay that. Depends somewhat on how much you use, and therefore how much you might save over next month's prices. Just hold off and watch this thread, but then be ready to act.

But if I signed up for fixed rate on 9/16 last year, doesn't that mean that as of today, they aren't charging me $50 to switch anymore?

JG

August 16, 2006 12:19:16 pm

Fatty Banger

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
quote:
Dave the Dawg said...
quote:
Rasp said...

But if I signed up for fixed rate on 9/16 last year, doesn't that mean that as of today, they aren't charging me $50 to switch anymore?

No. It runs through 9/15.

[ PM JG ]   __________________
CheapSeats said, "Not quote drani pout."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

August 16, 2006 12:39:58 pm

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
shibuii said...

Enjoy your cold showers, Clyde.

shibuii

August 16, 2006 12:42:33 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...
quote:
shibuii said...

Haven't had one yet. In fact, I get hotter water quicker than I did in my NG house.

so bite me

[ PM shibuii ]   __________________
Millwood said...Vince Young would be a good QB, except for one small factor. He's black. Tough break, Vince.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

August 16, 2006 1:02:30 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
JG said...
No. It runs through 9/15.

For some reason, I thought today was 9/16, not 8/16.

Rasp

August 16, 2006 6:44:20 pm

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
shibuii said...
quote:
Rasp said...
quote:
shibuii said...

Haven't had one yet. In fact, I get hotter water quicker than I did in my NG house.

so bite me

Sorry, I thought you had daughters and a wife.

Dave the Dawg

August 17, 2006 1:03:26 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

From the AJC today......

ajc.com > Business
Natural gas may be at its high now
Should homeowners go for a 12-month contract of set prices? Perhaps not, experts say.

By MARGARET NEWKIRK
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/17/06
With gasoline prices soaring and more monster power bills on the way, Georgians aren't likely to be paying much attention to natural gas prices right now.

They should be.

The same brutal heat that kept air conditioners running in late July and early August pushed up the price of natural gas across the country as power companies fired up their natural gas-fueled plants to meet the extra demand.

Those wanting to lock in 12-month contracts will pay more to do it this month than they would have in June or July.

So what should consumers do?

Conventional wisdom in the gas business says they should wait — although that wisdom rests on some assumptions that could prove false.

The first and most important assumption: No repeat of last year's Gulf of Mexico hurricane season and its devastating crimp on gas supplies.

Barring that, customers should see lower prices in September or October. The cooling season will be over then, and the heating season won't have begun. And marketers will have a better idea of what the hurricane season is bringing — although storms hit in the fall, too.

Under that scenario, even customers with fixed contracts that expire this month might want to float a month or two on variable plans before locking in again.

That's assuming customers decide to lock in at all.

The newest company to enter the Georgia gas market, Stamford, Conn.-based MX Energy, has an opinion about that decision.

Jeffrey Mayer, the chief executive of MX Energy, which bought the gas operation that belonged to Shell this summer, says the opportunity to lock in gas commodity prices is the one major benefit consumers gained when Georgia went from a regulated to a deregulated gas market.

But he said customers shouldn't see long-term contracts as a way to actually save money over the contracts' term. They can cost more than variable plans over time, the same way a fixed-rate mortgage can cost more than an adjusted-mortgage rate.

In marketing its products, MX is "very, very careful not to project savings, because nobody knows. Our crystal ball is broken. Nobody can predict the future of energy prices, any more than they can predict the future of interest rates."

Long-term contracts, he said, are about security, not savings.

"Our customers are similar to buyers of fixed-rate mortgages," Mayer said. "If they would be adversely impacted by higher prices, they should lock in. If they are indifferent to price movement, because they can pass the cost on to customers, say, then they should not."

Residential customers, who use the most gas when the prices are highest, have a greater exposure to price spikes than commercial customers, he said. "So a homeowner who wants to watch his budget is more likely to lock in his energy prices, just as 80 percent of homeowners lock in fixed-rate mortgages."

MX is one of two companies in the Georgia market that sell three-year fixed contracts, at roughly the same price as their one-year contracts.

As for what consumers should do now, Mayer isn't saying.

"There are those who think the prices might come off in the fall," he said, referring to predictions of an October price drop.

"I happen to be one of them. But my opinion doesn't matter."

"Nobody knows," he said.

[ PM Dave the Dawg ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3 4  5  6  7  8  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread