Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> Natural Gas Providers?

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Dave the Dawg

November 10, 2007 7:30:16 am

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Boatdrinks said...
How does the climate for Natural Gas look now. We just expired so trying to decide to lock in or wait. Thanks in advance.

Fixed and variable rates are similar right now. I still like the idea of fixed rates even though they are a little higher than last time I posted. Gas South and GNG have similar rates right now, but Georgia Natural Gas has a $50 penalty for breaking the contract as opposed to Gas South's $100 penalty, so I might go with GNG because of that. If you switch before the 20th the new rate will start sooner, but since fixed and variable are similar there's no real hurry.

Disclosure: Gas South is a client of mine at times.

[ PM Dave the Dawg ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Dave the Dawg

February 22, 2008 1:31:21 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2008/02/21/psc0222.html

GNG and SCANA variable rate customers should go back and check your bills. You may have a beef with the rate you've been charged.

Also, futures prices for nat gas have gone up a good bit in the last couple of weeks. If now is a time when you can fix with no penalty, it may be worth shopping before rates change in early March.

[ PM Dave the Dawg ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Dave the Dawg

February 28, 2008 8:52:06 am

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

Gas South is a client of mine, so I got this email. I pass it along for you in case you can use it....

With the recent increases in energy prices, it's a good time to be considering your options for natural gas. At Gas South, we have a great six-month fixed rate of $0.99 per therm for Friends and Family who use campaign code 1010 when enrolling. This same rate is also available to all of our existing variable-rate customers who are interested in locking into a fixed rate. This fixed rate is the lowest currently available in the market. This rate will expire on March 5, so it's important to act quickly.

You can sign up (if you're a new customer) or lock in a fixed rate (if you're an existing customer on our variable rate plan) by visiting http://www.gas-south.com or by calling 1-866-762-6427. By switching to Gas South online, you'll also receive a $25 Visa® giftcard. Just remember to use campaign code 1010 when enrolling. Signing up with us only takes a few minutes, and you do not need to call your current marketer -- we take care of the switch process automatically.

The team at Gas South thanks you for your business! Feel free to forward this e-mail to your Friends & Family -- they can also qualify for this great rate.

[ PM Dave the Dawg ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

THRASHERVILLE

March 14, 2008 3:00:49 pm

Magically Delicious!

[ Link to this post ]

What's the good news on fixed gas rates? Should I bother? Not that I will be using as much in the coming months, but my bill was about 2.5x what it normally is... I am with GNG, but will entertain any better offers. I figure if I lock into a good rate now, I can get a better one in Sept as well, n'est pas?

[ PM THRASHERVILLE ]   __________________
When God said He would make a halfback or a fullback, He might have said Gale Sayers or He might have said Jim Brown. But when He said He would make the best football player who ever lived, He probably said Walter Payton. -Mike Ditka

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Dave the Dawg

March 14, 2008 5:55:43 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
thrasherville said...
What's the good news on fixed gas rates? Should I bother? Not that I will be using as much in the coming months, but my bill was about 2.5x what it normally is... I am with GNG, but will entertain any better offers. I figure if I lock into a good rate now, I can get a better one in Sept as well, n'est pas?

Gas South has a 6-month rate of $1.15 right now. If you switch on the web I think you can still get a $25 visa card and I also think you can get a $.02 discount with that promo code above. (1010 I think it is).

NO GUARANTEES ABOUT A LOWER RATE SIX MONTHS FROM NOW. If we have a hot summer and a couple of hurricane scares and commodities keep rocketing higher, then who knows what the rate could be.

OTOH, if we are in a real recession and demand drops and speculators have to sell their gains to raise cash for losses elsewhere and the weather cooperates, it could be lower in the fall.

Either scenario could happen IMO.

Another plan that intrigues me but that I don't use is from Catalyst. They have a variable rate that is capped. You pay the lower of $1.35 or the variable rate. That way you're protected if prices go sky high, but you benefit without doing anything if prices fall.

Good luck choosing.

Disclosure - Gas South is a client but Catalyst is not.

[ PM Dave the Dawg ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Delphigod

May 28, 2008 6:16:39 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

5 pages of posts about natural gas, and not one mention of Mr. Propane himself, Hank Hill.

Things just haven't been the same since JF went and left us.

[ PM Delphigod ]   __________________
"The only difference between Obama and Osama is BS." - Political ad in California

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Dave the Dawg

June 10, 2008 5:15:45 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

I have no advice to offer:

Natural gas prices at an all-time high

By MARGARET NEWKIRK
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/09/08
In a normal year, now is the time when natural gas prices dip between seasons — and consumers lock in favorable contracts for the winter.

This is not that year.

Natural gas prices posted for June are not only the highest of the year, they're the highest in history — higher even than in the record-breaking months that followed Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Katrina, followed by Hurricane Rita, battered Gulf Coast gas supplies that September.

The next month, the per therm price charged by marketers jumped to between $2.20 and $2.55 per therm — figures so high that the state Public Service Commission rushed to allocate aid to the poor and elderly.

This month, gas marketers variable prices ranged from $2.88 to $3.33 per therm.

Fixed prices are also up over the post-Katrina months, although not as dramatically. The figures are the apples-to-apples prices that the PSC uses, and include all fees.

The retail prices are based on much higher wholesale prices for natural gas.

The steep climb in wholesale price coincided with the soaring price of oil and gasoline and is likely partly linked to it.

Struggling with prices at the pump, most customers haven't yet noticed the natural gas problem because they're not heating their homes and therefore not buying that fuel in volume.

Because electric companies lean on natural gas-fired plants in the summer, prices are unlikely to drop until the fall, which is the other traditional time to lock in rates.

And it's anybody's guess what will happen even then.

Gas companies traditionally store relatively cheap gas for the winter at this time.

They're now storing high-priced gas instead.

Keith Poston, a spokesman for AGL Resources, parent of Atlanta Gas Light and Georgia Natural Gas, said wholesale gas prices are up 118 percent over last summer.

"It's not shaping up to be a good year right now," he said.

[ PM Dave the Dawg ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheDowman

June 11, 2008 1:54:02 pm

Nerdroach of the sea!

[ Link to this post ]

Man, I'm glad I locked in a 99 cents per therm last fall.

I think I need to leave the stove, the furnace, the dryer, and the gas fireplace on 24/7 to take advantage of how badly I'm ripping off Walton EMG right now.

[ PM TheDowman ]   __________________
"If there's no good reason for a law to exist, then there is a great reason for it to not exist." - H.A.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Dave the Dawg

July 29, 2008 5:16:59 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

Time to start being alert, IMO. Don't lock right now whatever you do. However, the August prices that will be posted next week should be a fair amount better than the current ones. Then, you have all month to decide whether to lock while we continue to watch the nat gas market.

[ PM Dave the Dawg ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

THRASHERVILLE

August 9, 2008 8:08:51 pm

Magically Delicious!

[ Link to this post ]

Just got an offer in the mail for GAS SOUTH.
$1.25 a therm for a year OR $0.97 for August only....

When God said He would make a halfback or a fullback, He might have said Gale Sayers or He might have said Jim Brown. But when He said He would make the best football player who ever lived, He probably said Walter Payton. -Mike Ditka

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

August 10, 2008 3:23:37 pm

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

Bump

http://www.psc.state.ga.us/gas/pricecard.asp

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

THRASHERVILLE

August 11, 2008 11:12:12 am

Magically Delicious!

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Thrasherville said...
Just got an offer in the mail for GAS SOUTH.
$1.25 a therm for a year OR $0.97 for August only....

So this fixed rate is pretty good, eh? Lock in for a year and they give me a $50 Visa Gift Card as well...

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

THRASHERVILLE

August 14, 2008 10:53:45 am

Magically Delicious!

[ Link to this post ]

If your electric co is an EMC, you should try this:

www.gas-south.com/emc

I am with Cobb EMC, and I get $1.25 for 12/mo, $1.16 for 6 mos, or $.97 variable rate.
If you are already in a plan, they will pay up to $50 for your switch.
Also, too, as well, for applying online you get a $50 Visa gift card.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheBrickwall

September 9, 2008 3:45:30 pm

He's a Brick...House
He's mighty mighty, just lettin' it all hang out

[ Link to this post ]

Just got Coweta/Fayette at $1.129 fixed for 12 through Sawnee EMC but I think that may be open to anyone based on their website.

[ PM TheBrickwall ]   __________________
"We redshirt Miss Americas at Ole Miss."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Dave the Dawg

September 29, 2008 5:26:10 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

Don't lock yet, even if you got the Ga Nat Gas .99 deal in the mail this weekend. Prices continue to drop and the economy looks very weak. Another free option til next month.

[ PM Dave the Dawg ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

fulms

October 17, 2008 11:19:45 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

how about now? Any advice? I can lock for 6 months at .97 with my current provider gas south, or 1.03 for 12 months.

[ PM fulms ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Dave the Dawg

November 7, 2008 12:13:50 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

Time to lock for the winter. When prompted, use the promotion code 1010 to get a $.02 discount, making your fixed rate $.95/therm. Same rate for 6-month and 12-month locks. Either one takes you through the winter.

http://www.gas-south.com/

[ PM Dave the Dawg ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

November 7, 2008 11:10:11 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Office Space--> B+

A little uneven, but nice jorb capturing corporate ennui. Several moments.

[ PM Pacer Fan ]   __________________
"We won the election. We wrote the bill."-Nancy Pelosi

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

November 7, 2008 11:10:12 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Office Space--> B+

[ PM Pacer Fan ]   __________________
"We won the election. We wrote the bill."-Nancy Pelosi

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hudsons1

November 10, 2008 3:04:06 pm

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
pacer fan said...
Office Space--> B+

I loved the part where Michael Bolton was talking about locking in with Scana.

PS-- I know, damned post delete feature..

[ PM hudsons1 ]   __________________
I like the city, I like the country, it's the in-between I have problems with.--Steve Earle

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 8  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread