Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> 2008 Movie Tracker

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

CheapSeats

February 11, 2008 8:56:43 am

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
auxlepli said...
Underworld: Evolution = D

Deny

Kate Beckinsdale + latex suit + guns = C minimum.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

CheapSeats

February 11, 2008 9:07:17 am

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

Netflix:
The 3 Bourne flicks all at once over the last few days. We saw 1 and 3 at the theatre, but missed 2. All are solid - B
Rounders - A (upgraded on second though)
Buddy Holly Story - Solid A
Radio - Cuba Gooding Jr. Nice story, particularly good ending - B-
Dreamgirls - CS Jr apparently doesn't do musicals, Eddie Murphy is awesome - B+
Rent - Couldn't get "Everybody has AIDS" from Team America out of my head, didn't finish watching - D-
Jet Li Fearless - good story, EXCELLENT action sequences and photography - B
Good Night and Good Luck - good, preachy, not enough tension - B-
Almost Heros - The worst Christopher Guest movie ever - F turned it off
U2 3D - IMAX 3d is impressive. Technically impressive, VERY immersive and emotional. Best concert film since Stop Making Sense even if U2 are panty-wearing, peacemongers. Solid. A

BAD weekend with the NetFlix:
Flash Gordon - wife hated it, kid made fun of it. Incredible costumes and Queen soundtrack couldn't save high school drama club quality acting from the 2 leads. B me, D- wife
Ratcatcher - Trainspotting without the music, humor, or dialog. Just a dirt poor scotish kid, garbage and depression probably ends in heroin overdose. could be good, but wasn't in the mood - turned it off. C
Bottom - BBC TV series from 2 of the Young Ones. All of the stupid, some of the gross, not enough of the funny of Young Ones. Gave up. D.

- Mangoholico

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

dylvez

February 11, 2008 9:58:45 am

Birdshit Magnet

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
cheapseats said...
Ratcatcher - Trainspotting without the music, humor, or dialog. Just a dirt poor scotish kid, garbage and depression probably ends in heroin overdose. could be good, but wasn't in the mood - turned it off. C

If you haven't already, you should watch Twin Town. It's the Welsh version.

[ PM dylvez ]   __________________
"The problem with being a self-loathing narcissist is that I hate how awesome I am."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Millwood

February 11, 2008 10:32:15 am

Top Yeap

[ Link to this post ]

I caught a bit of Teen Wolf over the weekend. What a stupid movie. It was funny watching Michael J Fox play basketball though. He actually jumped when he shot his free throws. And don't get me started on his dribbling.

F-

[ PM Millwood ]   __________________
This marble I just ate is soft, chewy and sweet. It reminds me of a gumball. - Barack Obama

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Nnamath

February 11, 2008 10:33:48 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Millwood said...
I caught a bit of Teen Wolf over the weekend. What a stupid movie. It was funny watching Michael J Fox play basketball though. He actually jumped when he shot his free throws. And don't get me started on his dribbling.

F-

deny

This line alone mets Teen Wolf a C plus, plus Boof was hawt

Coach Finstock: There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

[ PM Nnamath ]   __________________
Fair enough, I like the rest of it.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

February 11, 2008 10:37:16 am

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
dylvez said...
quote:
cheapseats said...

If you haven't already, you should watch Twin Town. It's the Welsh version.

horribly depressing without any vowels. JST FCKNG GRT.

- Mangoholico

Rasp

February 11, 2008 11:41:07 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

Wicker Man (Remake) - D. A good story and a decent cast, just awful execution and a total lack of suspense. See the original with Peter Cushing. Nick Cage couldn't call in sick to work with any level of believability. At least Tom Cruise doesn't have a bad dye job and wear more eye makeup then RuPaul.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

YC

February 11, 2008 1:27:10 pm

Sweet, like a spoonful of sugared arsenic. P.S. also a Princess

[ Link to this post ]

Hannah Montana 3D - Cute, give it a B. (Would have rather seen U2)

National Treasure Book Of Secrets; I give it a B+, my munchkin gives it an A. It was a fun movie to go see with the kid.

[ PM YC ]   __________________
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Carz

February 11, 2008 2:19:25 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...
Wicker Man (Remake) - D. A good story and a decent cast, just awful execution and a total lack of suspense. See the original with Peter Cushing. Nick Cage couldn't call in sick to work with any level of believability. At least Tom Cruise doesn't have a bad dye job and wear more eye makeup then RuPaul.

If you're refering to Cage's die job, I think it might be a complete hair piece. I think he doesn't have much left up top.

[ PM Carz ]   __________________
Oh, like they knew the difference!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

February 15, 2008 10:13:25 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Netflix:

1/1: Pee Wee's Big Adventure--> D

1/4: Robots--> A- Robin Williams is a funny mf even animated.

1/6: The Wire-Season 2--> A Not quite as excellent as Season 1, but some pretty**** good teevee.

1/10: Monsters, Inc.--> A+ Best movie ending evar.

1/19: Spiderman 3--> C. Just needed about 3 more story lines to be totally incomprehensible. Cool "fight" scenes, tho.

1/21: Rounders--> A-. Trying to figure out what the "-" is for. Even more so trying to figure out how Dyl and Cheaps gave it a B. Tough graders.

1/23: The Wire-Season 3--> A+. Top Notch. What great acting and writing.

1/26: A Good Year--> B+/B Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott make a thoroughly entertaining "small" film. Great date movie. A Good Year >>> Sideways imho.

2/2: Sideways--> B+ Better than I remembered and the comparison above is a little unfair. They're different movies. Certainly more moments in Sideways.

2/6: The Wire-Season 4--> A+ Again. Sad that there is only one more season.

2/15: 3:10 to Yuma--> B Excellent acting and a really good movie up until the ending.

[ PM Pacer Fan ]   __________________
"We won the election. We wrote the bill."-Nancy Pelosi

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

February 16, 2008 3:30:09 pm

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

Definitely, Maybe is cute enough, if you're forced to take the wimmin to see a romantic valentine's movie. I have long been a fapper for Rachel Weisz, but this was my first time looking at Isla Fisher I don't know what Borat did to get to sleep with a girl like that.

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

February 18, 2008 5:57:50 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Netflix:

1/6: The Wire-Season 2--> A Not quite as excellent as Season 1, but some pretty**** good teevee.

1/19: Spiderman 3--> C. Just needed about 3 more story lines to be totally incomprehensible. Cool "fight" scenes, tho.

1/21: Rounders--> A-. Trying to figure out what the "-" is for. Even more so trying to figure out how Dyl and Cheaps gave it a B. Tough graders.

1/26: A Good Year--> B+/B Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott make a thoroughly entertaining "small" film. Great date movie. A Good Year >>> Sideways imho.

2/2: Sideways--> B+ Better than I remembered and the comparison above is a little unfair. They're different movies. Certainly more moments in Sideways.

2/15: 3:10 to Yuma--> B Excellent acting and a really good movie up until the ending.

2/17: Miller's Crossing--> B Good acting and writing, but there really didn't seem to be a point. The Coen brothers sure love to put all kinds of clever cinematic twists in their work, but I never really seem to get it.

[ PM Pacer Fan ]   Edited by Pacer Fan February 18, 2008 2:25:39 am.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

February 18, 2008 9:39:37 am

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

The 3 Bourne flicks all at once over the last few days. We saw 1 and 3 at the theatre, but missed 2. All are solid - B
Rounders - A (upgraded on second though)
Buddy Holly Story - Solid A
Radio - Cuba Gooding Jr. Nice story, particularly good ending - B-
Dreamgirls - CS Jr apparently doesn't do musicals, Eddie Murphy is awesome - B+
Rent - Couldn't get "Everybody has AIDS" from Team America out of my head, didn't finish watching - D-
Jet Li Fearless - good story, EXCELLENT action sequences and photography - B
Almost Heros - Proof that the bad that is Chris Farley is powerful enough to turn a Christopher Guest movie into a horrible mess. Turned it off - F
Good Night and Good Luck - good, preachy, not enough tension - B-
Almost Heros - The worst Christopher Guest movie ever - F turned it off
U2 3D - IMAX 3d is impressive. Technically impressive, VERY immersive and emotional. Best concert film since Stop Making Sense even if U2 are panty-wearing, peacemongers. Solid. A
Flash Gordon - wife hated it, kid made fun of it. Incredible costumes and Queen soundtrack couldn't save high school drama club quality acting from the 2 leads. B me, D- wife
Bottom - BBC TV series from 2 of the Young Ones. All of the stupid, some of the gross, not enough of the funny of Young Ones. Gave up. D.
Capote - Really good, who knew that Harper Lee and Capote were contemporaries. Now I have to go and read Breakfast at Tiffany's and In Cold Blood. B+
The Beat that My Heart Skipped - French movie about a real estate developer/thug who has a run in with the Russian mob while trying to start a career as a professional classical pianist. I know that makes no sense, but it's a really good guy movie in a strange way. B+
White Fang - Ethan Hawk, Better than average kid/dog/adventure movie. Kid liked it - B
In the Company of Men - Could be the meanest movie I've ever seen. You will have interesting conversations if you watch it with your significant other. A-

- Mangoholico

Nnamath

February 18, 2008 11:57:47 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

^In the Company of Men is a really good movie. Aaron Eckhart (sp?) is awesome in it. I don't think it's misogynistic at all. I think it's a brutal honest look at how men and women screw each other over by not communicating properly. There are three or four really uncomfortable moments that all movies should have. The Edwards actress that plays the deaf woman is terrific as well.

[ PM Nnamath ]   __________________
Fair enough, I like the rest of it.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

February 18, 2008 1:31:48 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
cheapseats said...
who knew that Harper Lee and Capote were contemporaries.

Pretty much anybody who studied them.

Millwood and I were just discussing that the other day.

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Millwood

February 18, 2008 1:36:34 pm

Top Yeap

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
cheapseats said...

Was that before or after we discussed the social impact of government funded snowcone machines in the classroom?

[ PM Millwood ]   __________________
This marble I just ate is soft, chewy and sweet. It reminds me of a gumball. - Barack Obama

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

February 18, 2008 1:41:37 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
mIlLwOoD said...
quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
cheapseats said...

Was that before or after we discussed the social impact of government funded snowcone machines in the classroom?

After. I had just pwned your lame arguments that snowcones were only enjoyed by fascists.

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

February 20, 2008 11:55:35 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Netflix:

2/17: Miller's Crossing--> B Good acting and writing, but there really didn't seem to be a point. The Coen brothers sure love to put all kinds of clever cinematic twists in their work, but I never really seem to get it.

Full Disclosure, this is lifted verbatim from Brickwall's review:

2/20: Eastern Promises--> B+ Very good movie. A little difficult to get into and it's not a high paced action thriller by any means, but very intense. Questions in the begin eventually come out through the course of the movie. The fight scene is not for the faint of heart.

Confirm. Oh, and Naomi Watts = hawtness

[ PM Pacer Fan ]   Edited by Pacer Fan February 20, 2008 3:59:50 pm.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

juansamuel

February 21, 2008 10:41:31 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

3:10 to Yuma- B it was deccent, but like pacer fan said, i don't know what the ending was supposed to be.

Eastern Promises- B+ Very good. Apparently the director likes Viggo Mortensen in roles that he has a hidden past and rightly so.

There Will be Blood- A. Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't do bad acting jobs. He is just as horrible a man as he was in Gangs of New York. Maybe he's just a bad guy in real life.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- A. I find myself rooting against most couples in romantic comedies, but this is one of a different kind. I watched it in the theater 4 years ago when it came out and liked it, but i forgot how it ended. I watched it again last night and liked it just as much.

[ PM juansamuel ]   __________________
http://atlantasairforce.tumblr.com/

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

February 21, 2008 11:03:03 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

Lawrence of Arabia - A++. This was on HDNet a week or so ago and I recorded it, never having seen it full screen the way it was shot and meant to be watched. GOT DAMN, what a good looking movie. It'll be on again, so if you have an HD TV, I highly recommend watching or recording it.

5:00 AM ET / 2:00 AM PT - Sun, Feb 24th
12:00 PM ET / 9:00 AM PT - Thu, Feb 28th

Superbad - B. Parts of this movie approach the "best" parts of Napoleon Dynamite, but most of it is much, much better (as is a root canal). The cop scenes are hilarious and they absolutely nail the teen desperation angle. Plus, one of the guys looks just like Thrasherville.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3  4  5 6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread