Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> 2008 Movie Tracker

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

CheapSeats

February 21, 2008 5:21:11 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...
Lawrence of Arabia - A++. This was on HDNet a week or so ago and I recorded it, never having seen it full screen the way it was shot and meant to be watched. GOT DAMN, what a good looking movie. It'll be on again, so if you have an HD TV, I highly recommend watching or recording it.

Larry of Arabia will probably be the reason I end up buying a blu-ray player.

The 1st time I saw it was the restored 70mm print back in the early 90s at Phipps. I cannot imagine how much 60's booty was getting slung at O'Toole after making that movie.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   Edited by CheapSeats February 21, 2008 9:25:02 am.

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

Pacer Fan

February 22, 2008 10:08:13 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Theater:

2/22: National Treasure, Book of Secrets--> C What a mess. What a cast. If I'm going to see Ed Harris and Helen Mirren in a scene together, I wish it had been in a better movie. The target audience (v2) gave it a 10.

Netflix:

1/1: Pee Wee's Big Adventure--> D

1/4: Robots--> A- Robin Williams is a funny mf even animated.

1/6: The Wire-Season 2--> A Not quite as excellent as Season 1, but some pretty**** good teevee.

1/10: Monsters, Inc.--> A+ Best movie ending evar.

1/19: Spiderman 3--> C. Just needed about 3 more story lines to be totally incomprehensible. Cool "fight" scenes, tho.

1/21: Rounders--> A-. Trying to figure out what the "-" is for. Even more so trying to figure out how Dyl and Cheaps gave it a B. Tough graders.

1/23: The Wire-Season 3--> A+. Top Notch. What great acting and writing.

1/26: A Good Year--> B+/B Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott make a thoroughly entertaining "small" film. Great date movie. A Good Year >>> Sideways imho.

2/2: Sideways--> B+ Better than I remembered and the comparison above is a little unfair. They're different movies. Certainly more moments in Sideways.

2/6: The Wire-Season 4--> A+ Again. Sad that there is only one more season.

2/15: 3:10 to Yuma--> B Excellent acting and a really good movie up until the ending.

2/17: Miller's Crossing--> B Good acting and writing, but there really didn't seem to be a point. The Coen brothers sure love to put all kinds of clever cinematic twists in their work, but I never really seem to get it.

Full Disclosure, this is lifted verbatim from Brickwall's review:

2/20: Eastern Promises--> B+ Very good movie. A little difficult to get into and it's not a high paced action thriller by any means, but very intense. Questions in the begin eventually come out through the course of the movie. The fight scene is not for the faint of heart.

Confirm. Oh, and Naomi Watts = hawtness

[ PM Pacer Fan ]   __________________
"We won the election. We wrote the bill."-Nancy Pelosi

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Matheos

February 23, 2008 11:25:39 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

The Ringer - so wrong on so many levels, A++++++++++++++

[ PM Matheos ]   __________________
it's probably not too sensible for me to get loaded while I listen to "Tooth And Nail" all by myself. But I can't deny my heart: I like to drink, and I like to rock. You think I'm an idiot? Fine. You don't have to come over.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Nnamath

February 23, 2008 8:42:05 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Vantage Point B-

used the last 10 bucks on my AMC gift card for this thriller starring dennis Quaid, Matthew Fox (LOST), Forest Whitaker, William Hurt, and Sigourney Weaver.

Unimaginative, pat ending. Matthew Fox has no charazma (which is why he sucks on LOST). Great car chase scenes through Spain. Cool action. Good dircetion. Slightly annoying but interesting way of showing several "vantage points" of a US President's assasination attempt. Dennis Quaid is getting to be one of those d00ds who I will watch in anything. He's great. Everyone else is just along for the ride. Worth matinee price and a very good rental in three months.

[ PM Nnamath ]   __________________
Fair enough, I like the rest of it.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Nnamath

February 25, 2008 8:50:54 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Micheal Clayton A

Terrific acting. George Clooney, Sidney Pollack, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson are all outstanding. It's a little slow but when things wrap up at the end you understand the initial first three scenes. I think the Bill O'Reilly crowd is stupid on this one. There isn't any anti American sentiment in this novie. It's about bad guys doing bad things and the redemption of Clooney's fixer character. Solid flick.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheBrickwall

February 25, 2008 8:58:03 am

He's a Brick...House
He's mighty mighty, just lettin' it all hang out

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Nnamath said...
Micheal Clayton A

Terrific acting. George Clooney, Sidney Pollack, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson are all outstanding. It's a little slow but when things wrap up at the end you understand the initial first three scenes. I think the Bill O'Reilly crowd is stupid on this one. There isn't any anti American sentiment in this novie. It's about bad guys doing bad things and the redemption of Clooney's fixer character. Solid flick.

Confirm on the movie. Confirm on O'Reilly being off base -- how is this different than Erin Brockovich or the Rainmaker from Grisham? Silly.

Only part of the movie that I'm still scratching my head on is the whole horses scene and what led him there.

It will soon get added to the library.

[ PM TheBrickwall ]   __________________
"We redshirt Miss Americas at Ole Miss."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

big_f_n_al

February 25, 2008 9:47:13 am

Honky Kong

[ Link to this post ]

Pathfinder = F - What a steaming pile of shit. Bad camera work. Horrible acting. Crappy "plot".

Crank = C- - Fun watch for the action. No true plot but unlike Pathfinder I really didn't expect one. It was just 1.5 hours of car chases, fight scenes and gun play.

[ PM big_f_n_al ]   __________________
"There is no pleasure, only a relief of pain." - Georges St-Pierre

"You are your maker make your life what you will just remember dont be selfish be true and clean up your shit..." - Erik Fankhouser

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Nnamath

February 25, 2008 2:18:40 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Across the Universe B-

Great music. I recommend this to any music fan. It's a little aimless and very fantasy driven so it's tough to follow at times. I may wtach it again to see if I get it better a second time. The soundtrack is awesome. That Evan Rachel Wood chick that Marilyn Manson is banging does nothing for me but if you like her you'll want to watch this movie.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

February 28, 2008 10:06:27 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Theater:

2/22: National Treasure, Book of Secrets--> C What a mess. What a cast. If I'm going to see Ed Harris and Helen Mirren in a scene together, I wish it had been in a better movie. The target audience (v2) gave it a 10.

Netflix:

1/6: The Wire-Season 2--> A Not quite as excellent as Season 1, but some pretty**** good teevee.

1/19: Spiderman 3--> C. Just needed about 3 more story lines to be totally incomprehensible. Cool "fight" scenes, tho.

1/21: Rounders--> A-. Trying to figure out what the "-" is for. Even more so trying to figure out how Dyl and Cheaps gave it a B. Tough graders.

1/26: A Good Year--> B+/B Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott make a thoroughly entertaining "small" film. Great date movie. A Good Year >>> Sideways imho.

2/2: Sideways--> B+ Better than I remembered and the comparison above is a little unfair. They're different movies. Certainly more moments in Sideways.

2/15: 3:10 to Yuma--> B Excellent acting and a really good movie up until the ending.

2/17: Miller's Crossing--> B Good acting and writing, but there really didn't seem to be a point. The Coen brothers sure love to put all kinds of clever cinematic twists in their work, but I never really seem to get it.

2/20: Eastern Promises--> B+ Very good movie. A little difficult to get into and it's not a high paced action thriller by any means, but very intense. Questions in the begin eventually come out through the course of the movie. The fight scene is not for the faint of heart.

2/28: Cars--> A Watched it with the sprouts last Fall and, along with football, this movie got me off my *** and buying a bigger, better, badder tee vee. It was worth it. I Pixar.

[ PM Pacer Fan ]   Edited by Pacer Fan February 29, 2008 3:42:26 am.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

February 29, 2008 10:02:13 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

The Martian Child - B+. Interesting movie with a good story and Amanda Peet. John Cusack is not aging well.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

Nnamath

March 1, 2008 9:28:07 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Gone Baby Gone A-

cool movie, Rent it. Casey Affleck is about the sixth best thing in it. Good acting. Brutal drama. Liked almost everything. I got over it being directed and written by Ben Affleck. The Amy Ryan chick is so friggin awesome. She's a great villain. You will hate her because she plays a white trash mama so well.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

YC

March 3, 2008 9:41:16 am

Sweet, like a spoonful of sugared arsenic. P.S. also a Princess

[ Link to this post ]

Spiderwick - B / I would have graded it higher but I read the books and it just isn't as good. The visual effects were incredible. The munchkin enjoyed it, made her jump out of her seat a couple times too.

[ PM YC ]   __________________
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

March 3, 2008 9:56:56 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

Disturbia - D. Stupid remake of Rear Window. The first 2 minutes are very good and the mvoe just drops off after that.

CheapSeats

March 3, 2008 5:19:55 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

The 3 Bourne flicks all at once over the last few days. We saw 1 and 3 at the theatre, but missed 2. All are solid - B
Rounders - A (upgraded on second though)
Buddy Holly Story - Solid A
Radio - Cuba Gooding Jr. Nice story, particularly good ending - B-
Dreamgirls - CS Jr apparently doesn't do musicals, Eddie Murphy is awesome - B+
Rent - Couldn't get "Everybody has AIDS" from Team America out of my head, didn't finish watching - D-
Jet Li Fearless - good story, EXCELLENT action sequences and photography - B
Almost Heros - Proof that the bad that is Chris Farley is powerful enough to turn a Christopher Guest movie into a horrible mess. Turned it off - F
Good Night and Good Luck - good, preachy, not enough tension - B-
Almost Heros - The worst Christopher Guest movie ever - F turned it off
U2 3D - IMAX 3d is impressive. Technically impressive, VERY immersive and emotional. Best concert film since Stop Making Sense even if U2 are panty-wearing, peacemongers. Solid. A
Flash Gordon - wife hated it, kid made fun of it. Incredible costumes and Queen soundtrack couldn't save high school drama club quality acting from the 2 leads. B me, D- wife
Ratcatcher - Trainspotting without the music, humor, or dialog. Just a dirt poor scotish kid, garbage and depression probably ends in heroin overdose. could be good, but wasn't in the mood - turned it off. C
Bottom - BBC TV series from 2 of the Young Ones. All of the stupid, some of the gross, not enough of the funny of Young Ones. Gave up. D.
Capote> - Really good, who knew that Harper Lee and Capote were contemporaries. Now I have to go and read Breakfast at Tiffany's and In Cold Blood. B+
The Beat that My Heart Skipped - French movie about a real estate developer/thug who has a run in with the Russian mob while trying to start a career as a professional classical pianist. I know that makes no sense, but it's a really good guy movie in a strange way. B+
White Fang - Ethan Hawk, Better than average kid/dog/adventure movie. Kid liked it - B
In the Company of Men - Could be the meanest movie I've ever seen. You will have interesting conversations if you watch it with your significant other. A-
-------------------
The Trouble with Harry - What an oddly macabre little "comedy". Quiet good, CS Jr. and the wife liked it too. Ultra early performance by Jerry "The Beaver" Mathers with Shirley McClain and John Forsyth. B+
Memento - Not sure how I managed to go this long without seeing it. Good acting, good story, nice inverted timeline construction. Didn't realize that Christopher Nolan did The Prestige and Batman Begins until I looked at Netflix for more of his stuff and found that I'd seen them all. A
Following - Christopher Nolan's 1st movie. A B&W film noir with a twist ending that is**** near as strong as Memento's. Not as polished, but amazing for a first movie. B

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

Pacer Fan

March 5, 2008 7:57:37 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Theater:

Netflix:

2/28: Cars--> A Watched it with the sprouts last Fall and, along with football, this movie got me off my *** and buying a bigger, better, badder tee vee. It was worth it. I Pixar.

OnDemand:

3/4/08: Shawshank Redemption--> A Great movie, GREAT acting.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

March 5, 2008 9:33:10 am

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

The 3 Bourne flicks all at once over the last few days. We saw 1 and 3 at the theatre, but missed 2. All are solid - B
Rounders - A (upgraded on second though)
Buddy Holly Story - Solid A
Radio - Cuba Gooding Jr. Nice story, particularly good ending - B-
Dreamgirls - CS Jr apparently doesn't do musicals, Eddie Murphy is awesome - B+
Rent - Couldn't get "Everybody has AIDS" from Team America out of my head, didn't finish watching - D-
Jet Li Fearless - good story, EXCELLENT action sequences and photography - B
Almost Heros - Proof that the bad that is Chris Farley is powerful enough to turn a Christopher Guest movie into a horrible mess. Turned it off - F
Good Night and Good Luck - good, preachy, not enough tension - B-
Almost Heros - The worst Christopher Guest movie ever - F turned it off
U2 3D - IMAX 3d is impressive. Technically impressive, VERY immersive and emotional. Best concert film since Stop Making Sense even if U2 are panty-wearing, peacemongers. Solid. A
Flash Gordon - wife hated it, kid made fun of it. Incredible costumes and Queen soundtrack couldn't save high school drama club quality acting from the 2 leads. B me, D- wife
Ratcatcher - Trainspotting without the music, humor, or dialog. Just a dirt poor scotish kid, garbage and depression probably ends in heroin overdose. could be good, but wasn't in the mood - turned it off. C
Bottom - BBC TV series from 2 of the Young Ones. All of the stupid, some of the gross, not enough of the funny of Young Ones. Gave up. D.
Capote> - Really good, who knew that Harper Lee and Capote were contemporaries. Now I have to go and read Breakfast at Tiffany's and In Cold Blood. B+
The Beat that My Heart Skipped - French movie about a real estate developer/thug who has a run in with the Russian mob while trying to start a career as a professional classical pianist. I know that makes no sense, but it's a really good guy movie in a strange way. B+
White Fang - Ethan Hawk, Better than average kid/dog/adventure movie. Kid liked it - B
In the Company of Men - Could be the meanest movie I've ever seen. You will have interesting conversations if you watch it with your significant other. A-
The Trouble with Harry - What an oddly macabre little "comedy". Quiet good, CS Jr. and the wife liked it too. Ultra early performance by Jerry "The Beaver" Mathers with Shirley McClain and John Forsyth. B+
Memento - Not sure how I managed to go this long without seeing it. Good acting, good story, nice inverted timeline construction. Didn't realize that Christopher Nolan did The Prestige and Batman Begins until I looked at Netflix for more of his stuff and found that I'd seen them all. A
Following - Christopher Nolan's 1st movie. A B&W film noir with a twist ending that is**** near as strong as Memento's. Not as polished, but amazing for a first movie. B
-------------
Ratatouille - Rewatched on netflix. Better the second time, what a good movie. Lots of stuff lifted from Tony Bourdain. A
Charade - Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn romantic thriller. Feels like Hitchcock, but isn't. B+
Superbad - Must watch high school comedy. Incredibly funny, incredibly awkward to watch with significant other at times. B+
Broken Flowers - A Jim Jarmusch movie with Bill Murray in the same kind of quiet role that he did in Lost in Translation. Murray is an "aging Don Juan" on a road trip to find out which of his ex's from 20 years before may have sent him an anonymous letter about having a son. A (if you like Jarumusch movies)

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Pacer Fan

March 8, 2008 5:56:16 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Theater:

Netflix:

OnDemand:

3/7/08: Mr. Mom--> C+ Man did this movie look dated. Still, a good movie to watch with the fambly. I ed Terri Garr back in the day.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

March 8, 2008 10:06:54 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
pacer fan said...

3/7/08: Mr. Mom--> C+ Man did this movie look dated. Still, a good movie to watch with the fambly. I ed Terri Garr back in the day.

"Can I get you a beer?"
"It's NINE A.M....!"
"...Scotch...?"

JG

March 8, 2008 1:37:36 pm

Fatty Banger

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...
quote:
pacer fan said...

"Can I get you a beer?"
"It's NINE A.M....!""..It's seven o'clock in the morning.."
"...Scotch...?"

"Yeah, two twenty...two twenty one, whatever it takes."

[ PM JG ]   __________________
CheapSeats said, "Not quote drani pout."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

March 8, 2008 9:20:34 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Theater:

Netflix:

OnDemand:

Netflix:

3/8/08: The Jane Austen Book Club--> A- Great "little" movie. Great literate movie. Great chick flick. The "-" is because of the unremitting happy endings, but still well worth watching w/your spouse. Especially if you have both read Jane Austen, but that's not required.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3  4  5  6 7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread