Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> Falcons to pick 3rd

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

El Profesor

February 22, 2008 10:43:41 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Carz said...
quote:
JoeSieve said...
. I just don't understand why Henne doesn't get more love. .

He should have made more tackles in that game.

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

KB56

February 22, 2008 10:47:27 am

Looking forward to a "Summer of 69" with KBrooking

[ Link to this post ]

Was he the holder on that field goal attempt at the end of the game?

[ PM KB56 ]   __________________
Gunter glieben glauchen globen

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Carz

February 22, 2008 10:50:20 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
Carz said...
quote:
JoeSieve said...

Or at least led his offense to put up more points than Elon, Georgia Southern, Western Carolina, or Eastern Washington against the App State defense.

[ PM Carz ]   __________________
Oh, like they knew the difference!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

JoeSieve

February 22, 2008 10:51:42 am

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
kb56 said...
Was he the holder on that field goal attempt at the end of the game?

Henne should have demanded that he kick the sumbitch himself, and then made it. Driving it down into FG range with :26 to go don't mean nothin' if you can't finish.

[ PM JoeSieve ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Matheos

February 22, 2008 12:26:31 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

The Giants just won a Super Bowl with RB by committee
I think the Steelers won a Super Bowl with an undrafted RB
Did NE ever have a real stud RB when they won a SB? How about Tampa's team?

No position in the NFL gets physically abused more than the RB. I'm not necessarily against taking McFadden, but he's going to take a beating for at least 2 years, and will cost a lot of $$$$ at a #3 pick while taking that beating, and for what? For a 5-11 squad next year, and MAYBE a wild card squad in 2009? Seems like a big risk that would make a nice splash for the media and fans, but might not be the best move long-term.

Dimitroff made his mark by evaluating college talent. I say the more picks the merrier. If they (as rumored) could get Dallas' two low 1st rounders, and get the Giants #31 pick, that would give them #22, #28, #31, #37, #48 and #68 on day one of the draft, with Dimitroff at the helm. 2008 would still suck, but 2009 and beyond might have more promise overall.

[ PM Matheos ]   __________________
it's probably not too sensible for me to get loaded while I listen to "Tooth And Nail" all by myself. But I can't deny my heart: I like to drink, and I like to rock. You think I'm an idiot? Fine. You don't have to come over.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Carz

February 22, 2008 12:38:55 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Matheos said...

Dimitroff made his mark by evaluating college talent. I say the more picks the merrier. If they (as rumored) could get Dallas' two low 1st rounders, and get the Giants #31 pick, that would give them #22, #28, #31, #37, #48 and #68 on day one of the draft, with Dimitroff at the helm. 2008 would still suck, but 2009 and beyond might have more promise overall.

Probably the best move.We will suck next year in the secondary. Worse than usual.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

KB56

February 22, 2008 1:03:10 pm

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Matheos said...

No position in the NFL gets physically abused more than the RB. I'm not necessarily against taking McFadden, but he's going to take a beating for at least 2 years, and will cost a lot of $$$$ at a #3 pick while taking that beating, and for what? For a 5-11 squad next year, and MAYBE a wild card squad in 2009? Seems like a big risk that would make a nice splash for the media and fans, but might not be the best move long-term.

Good idea on the surface, but that's a LOT of contracts to contend with down the road, assuming most (if all) of them pan out and stick with the team. Just sayin'.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

JG

February 22, 2008 1:06:24 pm

Fatty Banger

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
kb56 said...
quote:
Matheos said...

Good idea on the surface, but that's a LOT of contracts to contend with down the road, assuming most (if all) of them pan out and stick with the team. Just sayin'.

I'm not being a smartass, but So What? Every team has a contract with every player. What does it matter if they all, or most, have similar ending dates.

[ PM JG ]   __________________
CheapSeats said, "Not quote drani pout."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

guinness

February 22, 2008 1:07:25 pm

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
JG said...
quote:
kb56 said...
quote:
Matheos said...

I'm not being a smartass, but So What? Every team has a contract with every player. What does it matter if they all, or most, have similar ending dates.

I think the bigger issue is that all those late first/early second round rookie contracts could be a salary cap problem.

[ PM guinness ]   __________________
I know El Professor is going to get the last word in anyway, so I'll just let him.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Dave the Dawg

February 22, 2008 1:41:30 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

The actual video!

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d806cdbec

[ PM Dave the Dawg ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Carz

February 22, 2008 1:46:32 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Dave the Dawg said...
The actual video!

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d806cdbec

They cut out the pre-coin toss smack talk.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

KB56

February 22, 2008 1:51:09 pm

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
guinness said...
I think the bigger issue is that all those late first/early second round rookie contracts could be a salary cap problem.

Exactly. I read an article this week that talked about having to completely redo the draft pick point chart because of the escalation in player salaries. At the time the original chart was done (circa 1991), the highest paid player in the NFL was Dan Marino @ 5 million per. That's chump change now, and exactly why teams don't get equal value trading star players for draft picks.

The article:

We've mentioned a few times (or a few hundred) the draft trade chart put together in the 1990s by former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson.

For years, it has provided the formula for trades involving draft picks. But changes to the way that rookies are paid has made the chart less relevant, since it doesn't take into account the increased financial investment required at the higher positions on the board.

Recently, we asked one of our regular sources to take a stab at preparing a new trade chart that better reflects the reality that, for example, the gap between the value of the No. 1 overall pick and lower selections should be narrowed, given that the money paid to the first few selections continues to rise in a disproportionate manner.

Coincidentally, others are doing the same thing. Per a league source, the possibility of changing the chart was discussed among some league insiders last year, but no action was taken. The source says that, this year, several teams and a few agents are actively working on a new chart.

As the source explained, "The very large signing bonuses and backsides of these deals has really devalued them. People think it is only the top picks but it is really the whole round. If you moved say from nine to fifteen you would save enough money up front and through the course of the contract to afford an extra player. The reverse is also true. A team moving from fifteen to nine has to spend enough extra money that they are losing an extra player. The result of this is that it is so much harder for teams to move back."

And that's the broader point. By clinging to an outdated chart that doesn't take into account the financial ramifications of drafting in a higher position, trades are less likely to happen because the team inclined to move up has to give up too much to get there.

The deeper issue here is the fact that the ridiculous windfall paid to the first few players drafted no longer makes drafting one of the first few players a good thing for a bad team. As we've said before (and surely will say again), forcing the worst team from the prior season to spend $35 million guaranteed on a player who has never played a down in the NFL is not the best way to make that team better.

That's why the better approach would be to allow the team with the first overall pick to instead pick its position in round one, and for each team after that to do the same. As to some draft classes, the worst team might want to go first. In others, it might make sense to force the Super Bowl champion to use the first overall pick.

The other possibility is for the team with the first pick to pass. But that would likely cause all**** to break loose -- especially if the team with the second pick opted to pass as well. And the third. And so on.

Short of revamping the rookie salary structure (which hopefully will happen in the next CBA), a new trade chart might be the only way for trades to happen at the top of the round.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

guinness

February 22, 2008 1:58:22 pm

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
kb56 said...

That's why the better approach would be to allow the team with the first overall pick to instead pick its position in round one, and for each team after that to do the same. As to some draft classes, the worst team might want to go first. In others, it might make sense to force the Super Bowl champion to use the first overall pick.

That sounds like a pretty good idea, but I wonder how well the really vocal fan bases like the Browns, Skins, or Cowboys fans would handle their team choosing to pick say 20th in the first round when they could be picking in the top 3.

[ PM guinness ]   __________________
I know El Professor is going to get the last word in anyway, so I'll just let him.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

February 22, 2008 2:02:21 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Carz said...
quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
Carz said...
quote:
JoeSieve said...

Or at least led his offense to put up more points than Elon, Georgia Southern, Western Carolina, or Eastern Washington against the App State defense.

Those teams had more speed.

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

February 22, 2008 3:07:56 pm

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
SuperFan said...
Did something positive actually happen for the Falcons?

Did something positive happen to them when they got the first pick?

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Carz

February 22, 2008 3:18:19 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
SuperFan said...

The teams were not very good, but he should be a hall of famer. Good community guy too.

[ PM Carz ]   Edited by Carz February 22, 2008 7:25:59 am.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Homer

February 22, 2008 3:24:59 pm

Bubba Ho-Tep

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
SuperFan said...

They got arguably the most exciting player in the NFL. They continually sold out the stadium. They were featured on Sunday night and Monday night football. They made it to the NFC championship twice.

[ PM Homer ]   __________________
Winning

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Matheos

February 22, 2008 3:38:00 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
guinness said...
quote:
JG said...
quote:
kb56 said...
quote:
Matheos said...

I think two late first rounders could make less total than McFadden at #3. That is going to be one big *** contract they hand out.

I think the #31 pick could make less than D Hall already pulls in as a #8 pick in his (I think) 4th year.

I don't think second round money will ever break the cap for any team.

So I'm not seeing the problem with six picks in the top 68 this year.

[ PM Matheos ]   __________________
it's probably not too sensible for me to get loaded while I listen to "Tooth And Nail" all by myself. But I can't deny my heart: I like to drink, and I like to rock. You think I'm an idiot? Fine. You don't have to come over.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Carz

February 22, 2008 4:52:39 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Now Hall is mouthing off. Big suprise. Trade him to Detroit.
Check out the fan support in the poll.
http://tinyurl.com/3aeoso

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

February 22, 2008 7:24:43 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Homer said...
They made it to the NFC championship twice.

Which two years were those? I remember the one where they lost to the Eagles, but I missed the other one.

[ PM El Profesor ]   Edited by El Profesor February 22, 2008 11:28:44 am.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2 3  4  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread