Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> Falcons to pick 3rd

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

KB56

February 22, 2008 7:33:37 pm

Looking forward to a "Summer of 69" with KBrooking

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
Homer said...
They made it to the NFC championship twice.

Which two years were those? I remember the one where they lost to the Eagles, but I missed the other one.

That was the year Jamal (not Jammal) Anderson led the Falcons to the Superbowl, only to get blitzkreiged by Elway and the Broncos. Unfortunately, Crystal Chandelier was the QB then, not Vick. Or, Homer may have thought beating Green Bay in Lambeau was the equivalent of being in the NFC Championship.

[ PM KB56 ]   __________________
Gunter glieben glauchen globen

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

February 22, 2008 7:36:52 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
kb56 said...
quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
Homer said...

Which two years were those? I remember the one where they lost to the Eagles, but I missed the other one.

That was the year Jamal (not Jammal) Anderson led the Falcons to the Superbowl, only to get blitzkreiged by Elway and the Broncos. Unfortunately, Crystal Chandelier was the QB then, not Vick. Or, Homer may have thought beating Green Bay in Lambeau was the equivalent of being in the NFC Championship.

Homer was referring the the time AFTER they had the #1 pick. I am well aware of what happened in the Super Bowl.

Beating Favre in Lambeau was pretty**** sweet.

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

February 22, 2008 11:07:21 pm

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Homer said...
quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
SuperFan said...
Did something positive actually happen for the Falcons?

Did something positive happen to them when they got the first pick?

They got arguably the most exciting player in the NFL. They continually sold out the stadium. They were featured on Sunday night and Monday night football. They made it to the NFC championship twice.

I wonder how it would have been worse if they'd drafted LT instead? Or Leonard Davis?

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Homer

February 22, 2008 11:26:39 pm

Bubba Ho-Tep

[ Link to this post ]

I was thinking about the Green Bay game. Sorry about that.

otherwise **** you all

when Vick was drafted I and many others said GREAT whether it works out or not AT LEAST THEY TRIED SOMETHING

That speaks volumes about the Smith era.

in short the Vick pick was not a bad decision.

do you really think LT would have excelled here? did you see the offensive line? did LT play defense?

[ PM Homer ]   __________________
Winning

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Carz

February 23, 2008 6:33:58 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
kb56 said...
quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
Homer said...

That was the year Jamal (not Jammal) Anderson led the Falcons to the Superbowl, only to get blitzkreiged by Elway and the Broncos. Unfortunately, Crystal Chandelier was the QB then, not Vick.

You're gonna crap on Chandler's NFC championship season? Not many played better that year.

[ PM Carz ]   Edited by Carz February 22, 2008 10:46:15 pm.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Matheos

February 23, 2008 6:57:01 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
Homer said...
quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
SuperFan said...
Did something positive actually happen for the Falcons?

Did something positive happen to them when they got the first pick?

They got arguably the most exciting player in the NFL. They continually sold out the stadium. They were featured on Sunday night and Monday night football. They made it to the NFC championship twice.

I wonder how it would have been worse if they'd drafted LT instead? Or Leonard Davis?

They had Jamal coming off a 1000 yard season, and in the middle of a very expensive contract. They wouldn't have taken LT.

Davis would have been a great addition to the O-line. I suppose Chris Chandler might have done better than Vick in the following years.

[ PM Matheos ]   __________________
it's probably not too sensible for me to get loaded while I listen to "Tooth And Nail" all by myself. But I can't deny my heart: I like to drink, and I like to rock. You think I'm an idiot? Fine. You don't have to come over.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Carz

February 23, 2008 7:21:32 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Vick was a good pick. Its the second contract that was so stupid. Vick paid for himself with the first pick money. He did it in a hurry. Hell, I think we sold out games with him on the bench as a rookie. The second contract is the dumbest contract of all time. Even if he had not gotten in to trouble.

[ PM Carz ]   __________________
Oh, like they knew the difference!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

February 23, 2008 7:31:08 am

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Carz said...
Vick was a good pick.

If you are looking at a straight-up ROI, you might have a point. If you're looking at building an maintaining a good football team, it was not.

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Matheos

February 23, 2008 7:49:09 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
Carz said...
Vick was a good pick.

If you are looking at a straight-up ROI, you might have a point. If you're looking at building an maintaining a good football team, it was not.

I agree with Carz. The problem was his second contract, and some of the other decisions they made (Reggie Kelly and TJ Duckett especially)

They basically bought a big shiny diamond (Vick) and placed it in a ring they got out of a gumball machine (that O-line). I think that second contract might have prevented them from adding more pieces, but I'm not sure they EVER would have addressed the O-line.

[ PM Matheos ]   __________________
it's probably not too sensible for me to get loaded while I listen to "Tooth And Nail" all by myself. But I can't deny my heart: I like to drink, and I like to rock. You think I'm an idiot? Fine. You don't have to come over.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

February 23, 2008 10:18:07 am

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Matheos said...
quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
Carz said...
Vick was a good pick.

I agree with Carz. The problem was his second contract, and some of the other decisions they made (Reggie Kelly and TJ Duckett especially)

They basically bought a big shiny diamond (Vick) and placed it in a ring they got out of a gumball machine (that O-line). I think that second contract might have prevented them from adding more pieces, but I'm not sure they EVER would have addressed the O-line.

I suppose the point is debatable. I just don't think you're ever going to get anywhere with billion-dollar legs powered by a five-cent brain.

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

February 23, 2008 10:22:12 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
Matheos said...
quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
Carz said...
Vick was a good pick.

I suppose the point is debatable. I just don't think you're ever going to get anywhere with billion-dollar legs powered by a five-cent brain.

But they did get somewhere. It's relative of course, but the years he played the Falcons had what could be considered success.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

February 23, 2008 10:27:16 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
Matheos said...
quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
Carz said...
Vick was a good pick.

But they did get somewhere. It's relative of course, but the years he played the Falcons had what could be considered success.

Confirm. A little bit Faustian, but it was certainly better than anything before or since except for the Reeves/Anderson/Chandler Super Bowl run, which, of course, has its own lowlights.

[ PM Pacer Fan ]   __________________
"We won the election. We wrote the bill."-Nancy Pelosi

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

February 23, 2008 10:28:04 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Matheos said...
quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
Carz said...
Vick was a good pick.

Agree with both Carz (especially Carz) and Matheos.

This team falling to**** isn't because of the Vick pick, it's because team management went out and patted themselves on the back for having the leagues shiniest prize. They did nothing to develop or protect their investment.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

H.A.

February 23, 2008 12:37:41 pm

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

I'll grant that Vick gave the Falcons short-term financial success and a few good football games. I'd be a little more enthusiastic about his on-field impact if they had had a back-to-back winning season.

If they had drafted just about anyone else, they would be in better shape now.

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

February 23, 2008 12:43:54 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
H.A. said...
I'll grant that Vick gave the Falcons short-term financial success and a few good football games. I'd be a little more enthusiastic about his on-field impact if they had had a back-to-back winning season.

Not a difficult thing to say, given where they are now.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

February 23, 2008 1:11:51 pm

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
H.A. said...

Yet everyone knew beforehand that Vick was a) stupid, and b) a thug.

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

February 23, 2008 1:42:37 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
H.A. said...

Evidently not everyone.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Festus

February 23, 2008 10:53:42 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
H.A. said...

I loved the Vick pick when it went down. As Homer mentioned it was worth a shot. He was very young when drafted..unfortunately he never matured as a human being.

[ PM Festus ]   __________________
No estoy usando ninguna ropa interior

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

February 23, 2008 10:58:03 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Festus said...
quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
H.A. said...

I loved the Vick pick when it went down. As Homer mentioned it was worth a shot. He was very young when drafted..unfortunately he never matured as a human being.

Plenty of other teams would have drafted him if the Falcons hadn't done so. Some people forget certain things when it suits their agenda.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

February 24, 2008 7:56:03 am

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Festus said...
quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
H.A. said...

He was worth a shot. If the Falcons had passed on him or not made the trade with SD to begin with, I doubt he would have fallen as far as third.

But SuperFan's OP was about how Huckabee is going to be the next preside--... wait... no, it was about good things that have happened to the Falcons. My point was that picking Vick did not turn out to be a good thing for the Falcons, regardless of whose fault that was.

I know the 2001 draft (or even the 2002 draft) wasn't exactly deep with QBs, but I don't see how you can say the Vick pick wasn't a disaster for this team. One NFC Conference championship, one exciting win in the playoffs in Wisconsin, and a lot of remarkable individual plays? Add that to all the money, and the middle fingers, and the suspicious water bottles, and all the other embarrassing moments that Ron Mexico has brought the team, and I'm having a hard time seeing the good side.

I understand making the pick. Given the situation, I'm not even saying I disagree with the pick. I am simply saying actually having that pick did not turn out to be good for the Falcons.

Therefore, any enthusiasm I have for picking third this year is a little diluted.

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3 4  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread