Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> Zhitnik

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

hockeynutz

March 7, 2008 7:11:20 pm

Top Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

Zhitnik
I heard this afternoon that Zhitnik is getting benched tonight. About time.

[ PM hockeynutz ]   __________________
-- Get the puck outta my face --

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

dunwoody_joe

March 7, 2008 9:42:57 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

On the other hand:

Braydon Coburn leads the Flyers with a +16, getting 20:46 minutes per game. Oh, and he just turned 23!

[ PM dunwoody_joe ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

fatschoonerrat

March 7, 2008 9:49:58 pm

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

Nothing you can do about Coburn. We knew he was good. But this organization (and these fans) was so shortsighted they gave away one of their gem prospects. With fans as fickle as they are in ATL, what would you/we have done if we didn't make the playoffs that year?

What's the point? If you really want to cry in your beer, just consider how we passed on Phaneuf for Coburn in the first place.

[ PM fatschoonerrat ]   __________________
Gangsta Fresh Prince

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

3putt

March 7, 2008 11:16:28 pm

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
fatschoonerrat said...
Nothing you can do about Coburn. We knew he was good. But this organization (and these fans) was so shortsighted they gave away one of their gem prospects. With fans as fickle as they are in ATL, what would you/we have done if we didn't make the playoffs that year?

What's the point? If you really want to cry in your beer, just consider how we passed on Phaneuf for Coburn in the first place.

I and many other fans were not ready to ship away the future just for the playoffs last year. We wanted the playoffs but because of good play by the players on board. I was not happy at a single trade last year. They all were shit!

[ PM 3putt ]   __________________

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Valabiktorian

March 8, 2008 2:35:12 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Yeah, that Bourret for Dupuis trade really bit us in the ass, 3putt.

Coburn looks like he's pulled his**** together, but who knows how he would've panned out if he'd stayed in our system? Wolves fans couldn't stand the guy. That's right, he was stinking it up at the AHL level and wasn't instilling much confidence in anyone the few NHL stints he had with us. What can you do? I'm happy for him but the team did what it had to do. I think the change of scenery played a huge role in his turnaround. Sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles.

[ PM Valabiktorian ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

dunwoody_joe

March 8, 2008 7:40:14 am

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Valabiktorian said...

Coburn looks like he's pulled his**** together, but who knows how he would've panned out if he'd stayed in our system? Sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles.

...when your GM panics. Our developmental system sucks--maybe that's why Coburn's progress seemed to arrest. Maybe the Wolves coaches didn't know how to use him properly. Maybe Hartley didn't want to use a youngster. Maybe DW gave up too quickly on a 21 year old defenseman who "had all the skills".

Hockey News and USA Today both rated the deal as among the top 10 worst trades--ever!

Yup, that's how the cookie and the franchise crumbles...

[ PM dunwoody_joe ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

3putt

March 8, 2008 9:00:38 am

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Valabiktorian said...
Yeah, that Bourret for Dupuis trade really bit us in the ass, 3putt.

Coburn looks like he's pulled his**** together, but who knows how he would've panned out if he'd stayed in our system? Wolves fans couldn't stand the guy. That's right, he was stinking it up at the AHL level and wasn't instilling much confidence in anyone the few NHL stints he had with us. What can you do? I'm happy for him but the team did what it had to do. I think the change of scenery played a huge role in his turnaround. Sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles.

None of the trades were nessisary. If you did not like Bourret, then trade him away fine. But don't hand me the lie that you did it to make the playoffs.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Valabiktorian

March 8, 2008 9:25:17 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
3putt said...
None of the trades were nessisary. If you did not like Bourret, then trade him away fine. But don't hand me the lie that you did it to make the playoffs.

We traded Alex Bourret for a UFA roster player! If we weren't doing it to make the playoffs then what were we doing it for?!

[ PM Valabiktorian ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

3putt

March 8, 2008 9:59:01 am

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Valabiktorian said...
quote:
3putt said...

We traded Alex Bourret for a UFA roster player! If we weren't doing it to make the playoffs then what were we doing it for?!

Simple DW made the trade for MORONS like you that were screaming, "If we do not make the playoffs this year, I am no longer a Thrasher fan!!" POUT POUT

Making the playoffs is not an accomplishment. Belonging in the playoffs is an accomplishment.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

March 8, 2008 10:36:22 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
3putt said...
quote:
Valabiktorian said...
quote:
3putt said...

Simple DW made the trade for MORONS like you that were screaming, "If we do not make the playoffs this year, I am no longer a Thrasher fan!!" POUT POUT

This is laughable. Do you honestly think that DW would make a trade based on the desires of fans? Because he sure as**** hasn't made any trades this year that made people happy.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

Rasp

March 8, 2008 10:41:15 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
dunwoody_joe said...

...when your GM panics. Our developmental system sucks--maybe that's why Coburn's progress seemed to arrest.

How do you figure? Because Coburn spent ZERO time "developing" in the Philadelphia system. He was traded and has played for the big club ever since. So any development was obviously already complete. I don't suppose that rumors of an attitude problem could've had any truth to them?

fatschoonerrat

March 8, 2008 10:48:28 am

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

Something that doesn't get talked about much is how Coach 'Artley could have played a role in breaking younger players and the system of bringing them in. I think he sucked the life out of the team and especially the younger players. DW said something at the town hall about changing the philosophy to go with older veterans. That totally sounds like BH. The bastard.

[ PM fatschoonerrat ]   __________________
Gangsta Fresh Prince

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

3putt

March 8, 2008 10:53:47 am

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...
quote:
3putt said...
quote:
Valabiktorian said...
quote:
3putt said...

This is laughable. Do you honestly think that DW would make a trade based on the desires of fans? Because he sure as**** hasn't made any trades this year that made people happy.

You are right, again though.....The trades last year were NOT good building trades, they were of the type a Cup fianalist makes. Did you see us as that strong of a team last year. You are correct he did not make fan friendly trades this year, also did not made trades this year that would show him as a strong GM. Hossa was not the only last year UFA on this team unsigned for next year with trade value.

[ PM 3putt ]   Edited by 3putt March 8, 2008 2:58:31 am.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Redline

March 8, 2008 11:13:50 am

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

I also saw that Foster guy playing a ton of minutes for Minn last night. It would be nice to have a bigger defenseman who can boom a 100 MPH slapper

[ PM Redline ]   __________________
Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." The London Underground is not a Political Movement and Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

dunwoody_joe

March 8, 2008 11:16:45 am

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...
quote:
dunwoody_joe said...

...when your GM panics. Our developmental system sucks--maybe that's why Coburn's progress seemed to arrest.

How do you figure? Because Coburn spent ZERO time "developing" in the Philadelphia system. He was traded and has played for the big club ever since. So any development was obviously already complete. I don't suppose that rumors of an attitude problem could've had any truth to them?

"Seemed to arrest" meaning the Thrashers don't know when a youngster is ready--because they have had very few that moved through our development system. Other organizations knew what we had--and took our prized youngster in return for an end-of-his career hack: all under the guise of veteran leadership for a playoff run.

The deal sucked short and long term. I told you then and it is proved today!

Would you trade Shitnik today straight up for Coburn? Would Philly?

[ PM dunwoody_joe ]   Edited by dunwoody_joe March 8, 2008 3:26:10 am.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

March 8, 2008 11:20:16 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
3putt said...
You are right, again though.....The trades last year were NOT good building trades, they were of the type a Cup fianalist makes. Did you see us as that strong of a team last year. You are correct he did not make fan friendly trades this year, also did not made trades this year that would show him as a strong GM. Hossa was not the only last year UFA on this team unsigned for next year with trade value.

No, they weren't building trades. That was the point. DW thought this team played well enough to do some damage in the playoffs. I don't think anyone thought they would make it all the way, but once you get in, all bets are off.

Also, keep in mind that budgets for hockey teams do not include playoffs. So playoffs are pretty much all profit. Teams that make the playoffs make a ton of money. So making the playoffs guarantees you at least 2 days of high profit and a full house. The players don't get paid for the playoffs, so you're biggest expenditure doesn't exist. And you almost always have a full house (at the NHL level) so you have a ton of people buying all sorts of crap above and beyond hotdogs and beer.

As a fan, it's easy to sell this short and say it wasn't important. As a business owner, playoffs are a windfall.

Rasp

March 8, 2008 11:26:12 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
dunwoody_joe said...
quote:
Rasp said...
quote:
dunwoody_joe said...

sarcasm?

No, fact. This is sarcasm: Coburn was light out for the last 20 games of last year when he carried the Phantoms to the Kelly Cup, scoring 200 goals in the process.

dunwoody_joe

March 8, 2008 11:31:07 am

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...
quote:
3putt said...

No, they weren't building trades. That was the point. DW thought this team played well enough to do some damage in the playoffs. I don't think anyone thought they would make it all the way, but once you get in, all bets are off.

Also, keep in mind that budgets for hockey teams do not include playoffs. So playoffs are pretty much all profit. Teams that make the playoffs make a ton of money. So making the playoffs guarantees you at least 2 days of high profit and a full house. The players don't get paid for the playoffs, so you're biggest expenditure doesn't exist. And you almost always have a full house (at the NHL level) so you have a ton of people buying all sorts of crap above and beyond hotdogs and beer.

As a fan, it's easy to sell this short and say it wasn't important. As a business owner, playoffs are a windfall.

Again, the short term gain predictably was not worth the price. It is true that the playoffs are a revenue engine but you need a sustained run not a 4 and out. Building a franchise of lasting quality is the goal--see Detroit.

DW's panic led to desperation which will add to his demise. The franchise is already on the brink.

[ PM dunwoody_joe ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

dunwoody_joe

March 8, 2008 11:31:52 am

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...
quote:
dunwoody_joe said...
quote:
Rasp said...
quote:
dunwoody_joe said...

sarcasm?

No, fact. This is sarcasm: Coburn was light out for the last 20 games of last year when he carried the Phantoms to the Kelly Cup, scoring 200 goals in the process.

wrong again...that's stupidity.

[ PM dunwoody_joe ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Slasher77

March 8, 2008 12:33:40 pm

Top Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

I get that Zhitnik should be benched, his play has been horrendous this year. Totally lacking. What I don't get is how all of our other defenseman (with exception to Toby of course) get thrown under the bus (for the right reasons), but Exelby still manages to never get benched. This drives me crazy.

[ PM Slasher77 ]   __________________
-the 69th member

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1 2  3  4  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread