Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> Is Political correctness dead ?

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

ZORRO

December 2, 2003 4:32:21 pm

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

Is Political correctness dead ?
In a national radio interview last month, General Wesley Clark, used the word "Chinaman."
Every dictionary describes the term as offensive.

In October, Howard Dean, said he was eager to be "The candidate for guys with Confererate Flags in their pickup trucks."
At the time, his statements drew not condemnation, but ovations from democrats in attendance, including African Americans.

Can this mean the language police are in retreat?

It was just a year ago Senator Lott was ousted a the Majority leader after he suggested that the country would have been better off if Senator Thurmond, then a segregationist, had been elected president in 1948.

Are they really on the run or is there a double standard at work here?

Tolerating offensive comments from the Liberals, but not from the Conservatives.

[ PM ZORRO ]   __________________

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

IPTAY FAMILY

December 2, 2003 4:33:35 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

I'm running for president and I want to represent the Chinamen with Confederate Flags in their pickup trucks.

[ PM IPTAY FAMILY ]   __________________
It's not the heat. It's the stupidity.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

December 2, 2003 4:34:02 pm

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

Two words: Robert Byrd

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

JohnGalt

December 2, 2003 4:34:28 pm

JGv.42laffoT.S.v.63lolbrb

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
ZORRO said...Are they really on the run or is there a double standard at work here?Bingo!

Tolerating offensive comments from the Liberals, but not from the Conservatives.Bingo again.

[ PM JohnGalt ]   __________________

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jan Ken Po

December 2, 2003 4:36:35 pm

I murder kittens not for food, but because it's funny. (Also for food).

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
ZORRO said...

Why is the term double standard a monthly topic 'round here....and please tell me why everyone seems so surprise that double standards exist our society today?

[ PM Jan Ken Po ]   __________________
"Make sure to feed the kids while I'm gone." Mrs. Jan Ken Po

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

wawel

December 2, 2003 4:43:35 pm

Then again what would I know? All the girls I know have .jpg in their name.

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Jan Ken Po said...
quote:
ZORRO said...

Why is the term double standard a monthly topic 'round here....and please tell me why everyone seems so surprise that double standards exist our society today?

I'm not sure anyone's surprised, we're just pissed off about it.

[ PM wawel ]   __________________
Cheapseats - C U Next Tuesday. anonyms.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Ralph Wiggum

December 2, 2003 4:55:25 pm

4th Line Grinder

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
ZORRO said...
In October, Howard Dean, said he was eager to be "The candidate for guys with Confererate Flags in their pickup trucks."
At the time, his statements drew not condemnation, but ovations from democrats in attendance, including African Americans.

Dean actually said this:

'White folks in the South who drive pickup trucks with Confederate flag decals on the back ought to be voting with us because their kids don't have health insurance either, and their kids need better schools too.'

Later, he repeated that line but shortened it to this:

'I still want to be the candidate for guys with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks,' Dean said Friday in a telephone interview from New Hampshire.

To me, the line looks a lot different in context. This is a bad example of Democrats not being fair with the political correctness criticism.

[ PM Ralph Wiggum ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Flex Buffchest

December 2, 2003 4:58:30 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Ralph Wiggum said...
quote:
ZORRO said...

Dean actually said this:

'White folks in the South who drive pickup trucks with Confederate flag decals on the back ought to be voting with us because their kids don't have health insurance either, and their kids need better schools too.'

Later, he repeated that line but shortened it to this:

'I still want to be the candidate for guys with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks,' Dean said Friday in a telephone interview from New Hampshire.

To me, the line looks a lot different in context. This is a bad example of Democrats not being fair with the political correctness criticism.

I'm sure all the Confederate decal having, pickup driving Southerners feel better knowing the true context of his statement, and can't wait to vote Democrat in the next election

[ PM Flex Buffchest ]   __________________
"I can't think of one show that I ever played with that band where we walked offstage and said, 'That was great.'" - Dave Grohl on being in Nirvana

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Ralph Wiggum

December 2, 2003 5:02:21 pm

4th Line Grinder

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Flex Buffchest said...

I'm sure all the Confederate decal having, pickup driving Southerners feel better knowing the true context of his statement, and can't wait to vote Democrat in the next election

You're right...rather than judge him on what he actually said, they'll take the Rush Limbaugh special, clipped and shortened with a little extra spin on top.

[ PM Ralph Wiggum ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Flex Buffchest

December 2, 2003 5:09:05 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Ralph Wiggum said...
quote:
Flex Buffchest said...

You're right...rather than judge him on what he actually said, they'll take the Rush Limbaugh special, clipped and shortened with a little extra spin on top.

They might also read between the lines and be offended that Dean thinks so little of them. Perhaps they will interpret his statements as: "Vote for me because I know you're not capable of taking care of your family, and I will work to get you free health care that someone else will have to pay for."

[ PM Flex Buffchest ]   __________________
"I can't think of one show that I ever played with that band where we walked offstage and said, 'That was great.'" - Dave Grohl on being in Nirvana

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

michael corleone

December 2, 2003 5:11:18 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Ralph Wiggum said...
quote:
Flex Buffchest said...

LOL. I do like your turn of a phrase

[ PM michael corleone ]   __________________
“The United States does not have a security system; it has a system for bothering people.” - Israeli Air-security expert

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

tvwxman

December 2, 2003 5:39:51 pm

Slacker

[ Link to this post ]

There are some in this nation that are held to a higher standard.

Rush Limbaugh makes a comment about Donovan McNabb's popularity, he gets fired. Bryan Cox makes a statement about a white player, and he doesn't.

Trent Lott says something stupid during a roast for his friend, he gets roated himself. Howard Dean, Robert Byrd or Ted Kennedy says something stupid on a daily basis, and it's "taken out of context."

A memo gets leaked about the democrats filibuster of Miguel Estrada in part because the special interests think he's a threat because "he's a Latino," and it's never heard of outside the pages of the WSJ. Draw a shaky inference about Haliburton, and it's all over the place.

Here's more info on the memo:
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110004370

I think there are a lot of people who are just sick and tired of the blatant double standard that exists in our society today. Laugh it off if you want to, but anyone who has been on a college campus recently knows what kind of society we're setting up in the name of not offending anyone and creating some form "diversity" based not on ideas, but on skin color.

Another interesting column re: diversity:

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/mikeadams/ma20031201.shtml

[ PM tvwxman ]   __________________
Since this is an era when many people are concerned about "fairness" and "social justice," what is your "fair share" of what someone else has worked for? -- Thomas Sowell

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

DDF

December 2, 2003 5:51:42 pm

Internet Guro

[ Link to this post ]

Chinaman is bad but not horrible. It just shows his age. Sometimes I still hear people use the term ''colored''. Both terms are still better than saying ''nigger'', IMO.

I'm not sure what's so bad about what Dean said. There are guys who drive pickup trucks with Confederate flags on the back. He didn't say all Southerners were like that. He's basically saying that he wants to be the candidate for the working people. He wants to listen to what they have to say, etc. He never says he only wants to be the candidate for the flag guys. In the article I posted about the talk radio guy in North Dakota the guy says that he wants to be the talk radio guy for people who take showers after work. I thought that was great.

To say that the U.S. would have been better off if a segregationist had been elected is definitely offensive and wrong to me. That has more of an impact. We're not talking about using an archaic term here. We're talking about the livelihood of millions of people. I think definitely needed to at least apologize for that.

[ PM DDF ]   Edited by DDF December 2, 2003 6:54:58 pm.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

December 2, 2003 5:53:38 pm

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
DDF said...
I'm not sure what's so bad about what Dean said. There are guys who drive pickup trucks with Confederate flags on the back.

He implied they couldn't afford health care for their poorly educated children.

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

michael corleone

December 2, 2003 5:54:30 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
DDF said...
I'm not sure what's so bad about what Dean said.

Bet you can't find anything wrong with what Dean said here either:

http://www.drudgereport.com/dean1.htm

“The United States does not have a security system; it has a system for bothering people.” - Israeli Air-security expert

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

DDF

December 2, 2003 5:57:06 pm

Internet Guro

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
DDF said...
I'm not sure what's so bad about what Dean said. There are guys who drive pickup trucks with Confederate flags on the back.

Lots of people can't afford health care in this country. Do you deny that test scores in Georgia, for example, are lower than they should be? There are statistics that back this up. It's not just stereotypes here.

[ PM DDF ]   __________________
‎"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

DDF

December 2, 2003 6:02:31 pm

Internet Guro

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
michael corleone said...
quote:
DDF said...

No, I can't. What am I missing?

‎"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

michael corleone

December 2, 2003 6:18:04 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
DDF said...
quote:
michael corleone said...
quote:
DDF said...

No, I can't. What am I missing?

How many media outlets are allowed? Dean seems to have a number in mind, but he isn't telling. How many large jet engine manufacturers ought there be(there are only 2 in the US now)? How many large commerical aircraft manufactuers? (There is only one US company doing that now). The variety and volume of media outlets have never been more plentiful in the history of the world. And I'm not including the internet. I really don't see only 1 viewpoint getting out there. In our society, it would never happen. So all of this hub-bub about monopolistic media outlets is a bunch of hogwash. Is GE altering the content of the West Wing? Is there less choice and variety of viewpoint with the 500 cable channels?

And I thought this was a telling exchange:

DEAN: You can`t say -- you can`t ask me right now and get an answer, would I break up X corp...
MATTHEWS: We`ve got to do it now, because now is the only chance we can ask you, because, once you are in, we have got to live with you.

For a subject that he seems passionate about, he sure was vague as to what he would actually do.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

DDF

December 2, 2003 7:16:13 pm

Internet Guro

[ Link to this post ]

Lots of people have been complaining about Clear Channel Communications and the way they seemingly dominate the radio market. I think that's what Dean is focusing on.

http://www.freetimes.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=504

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

December 2, 2003 7:45:53 pm

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
DDF said...
quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
DDF said...

Lots of people can't afford health care in this country. Do you deny that test scores in Georgia, for example, are lower than they should be? There are statistics that back this up. It's not just stereotypes here.

Ah, but he singled specific people out (i.e., pickup drivin' confed flag wavin'), then implied that they SPECIFICALLY couldn't buy health care.

No one is denying that there are confederate flag folks around here, and no one is denying that there are people who can't afford health care. Dean equated the two, thereby insulting the people he was trying to appeal to.

I don't know what test scores have to do with anything. Is Dean trying to get stupid people too?

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1 2  3  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread