Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> Bye Kovy

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Holland

February 3, 2010 3:47:10 pm

lolland

[ Link to this post ]

Bye Kovy
quote:
GM WADDELL TELLS KOVALCHUK TO EXPECT A TRADE SOON

Ilya Kovalchuk's days as a member of the Atlanta Thrashers appear to be numbered.

Thrashers general manager Don Waddell met with the star forward on Wednesday and told him to expect a trade to another NHL team over the next few hours or days.

There is no indication that any deal with a specific team is imminent, but the Chicago Blackhawks, Boston Bruins and New York Rangers are included on a list of five or more teams who continue to express interest.

Kovalchuk, 26, became the subject of trade rumours recently after reports surfaced that he could not come to terms on a multi-year contract with the only NHL team he's ever played for. The Russian sniper is in the final year of his current deal and is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

A seven-year NHL veteran, Kovalchuk was selected first overall by the Thrashers in the 2001 NHL Draft. In 594 career NHL games with Atlanta, he has amassed 328 goals and 615 points.

Kovalchuk scored a career-high 52 goals with the Thrashers in 2007-08 and was co-recipient of the Rocket Richard Trophy in 2003-04 with a league-leading 41 goals.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308800

[ PM Holland ]  

redTHRASH

February 3, 2010 3:53:41 pm

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

Good. Bring in player(s) that aren't 1 dimensional. I will miss his flash though.

Package him with Lethemin and fire Don and let's start all over so we can build a nice team for the next franchise.

[ PM redTHRASH ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

dmatos

February 3, 2010 4:01:56 pm

Entropy Generator's Dad

[ Link to this post ]

Let the rebuilding begin... again. 3 rebuilds in 10 years, 4 playoff losses... DW must go. AS must go.

[ PM dmatos ]   __________________
Pics of the kid at g33kbaby.com or go see my flickr stream
Go buy some crap at Tanga it's like woot.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pfloyd75

February 3, 2010 4:26:16 pm

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

I don't know if I'd call it a rebuild. I mean without Kovy, this team has some good young talent to build around already. If we can add a piece or two to what we already have- things will be fine.

but yeah... DW and ASG gotsta go.

[ PM Pfloyd75 ]   __________________
Bacon is proof that God loves us and wants us to consume inferior creatures.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

kopykat

February 3, 2010 4:51:21 pm

Hall of Famer

Location: sure, I tell you, you tell someone else? I don't think so...
[ Link to this post ]

I heard that they've already started removing his pictures from Philips....

[ PM kopykat ]   __________________
some people are like slinkies...... they aren't really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

http://www.bringyuenglingtogeorgia.com reportedly coming October 27!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ApeKing

February 3, 2010 5:45:50 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

I told someone last night that I hoped he didnt go but would be more surprised if he stayed!

[ PM ApeKing ]   __________________

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

DCThrasherfan

February 3, 2010 5:46:49 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

I think this sucks....I like him as a Thrasher. DW is a horrible GM, I can't believe he's still with this organization. Depressing for me.

[ PM DCThrasherfan ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

February 3, 2010 6:16:58 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

FWIW - I'm not in the blame DW for everything camp - the best GM in the world couldn't be successful with owners suing each other for 1/3 of the life of the franchise.

BUT - DW has said many times that he's leaving if Kovy leaves. I think that will likely end up being true. He'll have an interesting tell all story when he DOES leave.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

Bluto

February 3, 2010 6:29:30 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
cheapseats said...
FWIW - I'm not in the blame DW for everything camp - the best GM in the world couldn't be successful with owners suing each other for 1/3 of the life of the franchise.

BUT - DW has said many times that he's leaving if Kovy leaves. I think that will likely end up being true. He'll have an interesting tell all story when he DOES leave.

There will be no story if he wants to continue to work in professional sports.

[ PM Bluto ]   __________________
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

February 3, 2010 8:14:17 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Bluto said...
quote:
cheapseats said...

There will be no story if he wants to continue to work in professional sports.

some truth to that. and he's seems like a pretty classy guy, but I find it hard to believe that any other hockey teams owners have any respect for any of the Thrashers' owners. and at some point, he'll likely need to salvage his own reputation.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

behind the net

February 3, 2010 9:33:19 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

The crazy thing is, this trade will just be the beginning.

Why is Dudley in Chicago if the Hawks are out of the Ilya sweepstakes? I think Kubina, Army, and Afinagenov are all GONE...soon. Maybe Kubina and Max for one of their studs like Sharp or Buff.

The offseason moves were not bad, so let's hope that DW can keep his hot streak on trades and asset management going.

[ PM behind the net ]   __________________
ôA woman who wildly mismanages and bankrupts a quarter-of-a-billion-dollar campaign operation, and then blames sexism in society, will dampen the dreams of our daughters.ö Maureen Dowd on Hillary Clinton 8/13

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

fireball

February 4, 2010 5:52:52 am

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

Driving home today, I was looking at the AirTran billboard going southbound on the connector...the one with Kovy on it that says "See your breath in other arenas" I never realized that it was directed at him.

I think this is a mistake for the organization, though I can't blame him -- he wants to be on a playoff contender, and we've done little to nothing to convince him of any commitment to that over his 8 years. So, who becomes the face of the team now? I can't think of anybody.

[ PM fireball ]   __________________
Dave Barry for President
Yes, of the United States

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

kopykat

February 4, 2010 8:10:46 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Fireball said...
Driving home today, I was looking at the AirTran billboard going southbound on the connector...the one with Kovy on it that says "See your breath in other arenas" I never realized that it was directed at him.

I realized awhile ago that the Airtran radio ads with Kovy don't mention the Thrashers. they refer to him as "All-Star Ilya Kovalchuck" thus making the ads easily transportable to his new city. the ads with Jerius Norwood mention the Falcons about 5 times. I think it was then that my hope of getting Kovy re-signed disappeared.

some people are like slinkies...... they aren't really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Section119

February 4, 2010 8:54:55 am

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

My three wishes.

1) ASG partners all suffer financial ruin. The more publicly embarassing the better.

2) DW joins a team that goes on a prolonged playoff/Stanley Cup run.

3) Kovy goes to a team that never makes the playoffs, suffers from nagging, ultimately career shortening injuries.

[ PM Section119 ]   __________________
The government can not give to anybody anything the government does not first take from somebody else.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

3putt

February 4, 2010 9:35:28 am

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Section119 said...
My three wishes.

1) ASG partners all suffer financial ruin. The more publicly embarassing the better.

3) Kovy goes to a team that never makes the playoffs, suffers from nagging, ultimately career shortening injuries.

Wow, that is heavy hater talk. It is not Ilya's fault. Have you been in the room with Waddell ever? Maybe he is the worst negotiator on the face of the planet. You can't just throw money.

[ PM 3putt ]   __________________

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

kopykat

February 4, 2010 9:52:17 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Section119 said...
My three wishes.

I'm on board for #1. I wish they'd each fall off a ledge 3 stories onto a bicycle with no seat.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

February 4, 2010 10:34:00 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
3putt said...

Wow, that is heavy hater talk. It is not Ilya's fault. Have you been in the room with Waddell ever? Maybe he is the worst negotiator on the face of the planet. You can't just throw money.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly have you negotiated with DW about? I'm sure there's a murky opinion/fact outcome to all of this, but I'd kinda like to hear about it.

It's not negotiating if they aren't willing to budge on their demands. The word for that is capitulation and it shows a very weak ability to negotiate.

If the reports I've seen are true, Grossman/Kovalchuk asked for the league maximum for 10 or 12 year (which is preposterous) and never came down. Some of the offers DW reportedly made are ridiculous and I'm glad that Ilya didn't accept them as they would have hamstrung this team.

I'm not glad Ilya is leaving. He's an exciting player and this town really loves him. But I'd rather the team not cripple itself just to have him around.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

3putt

February 4, 2010 10:58:55 am

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...
quote:
3putt said...

Just out of curiosity, what exactly have you negotiated with DW about? I'm sure there's a murky opinion/fact outcome to all of this, but I'd kinda like to hear about it.

It's not negotiating if they aren't willing to budge on their demands. The word for that is capitulation and it shows a very weak ability to negotiate.

If the reports I've seen are true, Grossman/Kovalchuk asked for the league maximum for 10 or 12 year (which is preposterous) and never came down. Some of the offers DW reportedly made are ridiculous and I'm glad that Ilya didn't accept them as they would have hamstrung this team.

I'm not glad Ilya is leaving. He's an exciting player and this town really loves him. But I'd rather the team not cripple itself just to have him around.

Hey pickle face!! You rise again. You just stated my point over again, thank you!

None of us have ever negotiated with Don so we do no know.

BTW, can I have a link on these supposed reports you have seen?

[ PM 3putt ]   __________________

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

kopykat

February 4, 2010 12:57:10 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

should I just go ahead and buy a Kovy jersey from one of those Chinese knock-off sites so that we can get this over with?

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Blotto

February 4, 2010 1:19:53 pm

The hair, the myth, the legend.

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Section119 said...
My three wishes.

While I appreciate your passion I'm not so sure I'm on board for #1. I'm sure Jim Balsillie is standing by if that were to happen.

#2 - I'm okay with that. Don Waddell is a class act as a person.

[ PM Blotto ]   __________________
Rhinoceruses don't wear shirts. - bloodninja

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1 2  3  4  5  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread