Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> Bye Kovy

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Section119

February 4, 2010 8:37:44 pm

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Inferno said...
oduya, cormier, bergfors and a first that will likely be in the low 20's?

seriously? thats all they could get for Kovalchuk?

The Devils got Salmela back and the rights to Kovy through June 30, 2010.

They paid a pretty steep price.

[ PM Section119 ]   __________________
The government can not give to anybody anything the government does not first take from somebody else.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheBrickwall

February 4, 2010 8:39:13 pm

He's a Brick...House
He's mighty mighty, just lettin' it all hang out

[ Link to this post ]

Don't forget we had to toss in Salmonella too!

5 year extension for DW!!!!

[ PM TheBrickwall ]   __________________
"We redshirt Miss Americas at Ole Miss."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Inferno

February 4, 2010 8:48:42 pm

Top Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Section119 said...
quote:
Inferno said...

you really think thats a steep price? imho thats right up there with the Thornton and the Jagr for Carter deals as one of the worst ive ever seen. Youre telling me for a 50 goal scorer the best they could do is a 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman, a 3rd liner, and a prospect who probably will never sniff the NHL...oh, and a very low draft pick.

im sorry, thats a horrendous return for what will likely be a hall of fame player entering the prime of his career. even if it is just a rental, and knowing lou, he wont be.

[ PM Inferno ]   __________________
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
The devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
He promised I would find a little solace
And some piece of mind
Whatever just as long as I don't feel so...

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Green Hornet

February 4, 2010 8:58:51 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Inferno said...
quote:
Section119 said...
quote:
Inferno said...

you really think thats a steep price? imho thats right up there with the Thornton and the Jagr for Carter deals as one of the worst ive ever seen. Youre telling me for a 50 goal scorer the best they could do is a 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman, a 3rd liner, and a prospect who probably will never sniff the NHL...oh, and a very low draft pick.

im sorry, thats a horrendous return for what will likely be a hall of fame player entering the prime of his career. even if it is just a rental, and knowing lou, he wont be.

I'm guessing Section 119 was being sarcastic, right? RIGHT??????

Seriously, DW just got pantsed in front of the whole league...AGAIN!!!!!

FIRE HIS ASS!!!!!! NOT TOMORROW, TODAY!!!! NOW!!!!! THIS SECOND!!!!! HELL, YESTERDAY!!!!!!

[ PM Green Hornet ]   __________________
Let's roll, Kato!!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

behind the net

February 4, 2010 9:22:56 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Inferno said...

Let the Rangers crying commence.

Instead of blaming Waddell, why don't you blame Sather for not offering more? Wade Fucking Redden? Odouya is an upgrade over Rozy. Bergfors looks to be on a Ryan Callahan type of trajectory. Cormier must have something about him, as he was the C on the Canadian Junior team, they don't just hand that out like a participation medal. And they basically flip their 2nd to a late 1st in the draft, and then get a late 2nd for it.

As a former Devils fan, I do think Ilya just might like the low key atmosphere that surrounds the Devils. Light media. Not much fan pressure. Nice place to raise a family...etc.

[ PM behind the net ]   __________________
A woman who wildly mismanages and bankrupts a quarter-of-a-billion-dollar campaign operation, and then blames sexism in society, will dampen the dreams of our daughters. Maureen Dowd on Hillary Clinton 8/13

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

February 4, 2010 9:24:17 pm

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
3putt said...
Would not Dion Phaneuf and a draft pick been a better deal?

Not on this planet. Ever see Phaneuf play defense? Neither have his teammates.

Hey did you ever find those offers I posted about? They were all over the net and someone even posted them here in this very thread.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

Rasp

February 4, 2010 9:27:19 pm

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Green Hornet said...

I'm guessing Section 119 was being sarcastic, right? RIGHT??????

Seriously, DW just got pantsed in front of the whole league...AGAIN!!!!!

FIRE HIS ASS!!!!!! NOT TOMORROW, TODAY!!!! NOW!!!!! THIS SECOND!!!!! HELL, YESTERDAY!!!!!!

How did he get pantsed (and when was he pantsed before)?

What could he have gotten?

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

adam in 310

February 4, 2010 9:43:42 pm

Great Scoring Chance

[ Link to this post ]

Jeff Carter or Dion Phaneuf (a week ago) immediately come to mind. Perhaps Blake Wheeler, Tuuka Rask or Boston's own first rounder? Jack Johnson?

Why is DW's inclination to favor quantity over quality?

I had no misconception that we'd get equal value for Kovy, but you can't realistically say we didn't get hosed.

[ PM adam in 310 ]   __________________
"There are three things in life that people like to stare at...A flowing stream, a crackling fire, and a Zamboni clearing the ice."

--Charlie Brown

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bluto

February 4, 2010 10:00:06 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
adam in 310 said...
Jeff Carter or Dion Phaneuf (a week ago) immediately come to mind. Perhaps Blake Wheeler, Tuuka Rask or Boston's own first rounder? Jack Johnson?

Why is DW's inclination to favor quantity over quality?

I had no misconception that we'd get equal value for Kovy, but you can't realistically say we didn't get hosed.

Outside of rumor, we have no real idea of what was offered. I hope part of the plan (after DW's needed departure) is to gain as many picks as possible and start talking to Chicago.

[ PM Bluto ]   __________________
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

StoopidGy

February 4, 2010 10:06:48 pm

Jr. Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

Okay, stoopid question that I'll have to ask. I hold NO hopes that this will actually happen, but is there a condition in the trade similar to the Tkachuk trade, where the draft picks changed if Kovy HAPPENS to resign with the Thrashers? Just curious, condsidering we have an *** load of cap room.

[ PM StoopidGy ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Green Hornet

February 4, 2010 10:21:17 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...

1. The Hossa deal immediately comes to mind. The Coburn deal is another (yeah, I know he hasn't fully lived up to his potential, but he's still better than Shit-nik). And while Tkachuk helped secure our only playoff appearance to date, we wound up giving up several picks AND giving one of those picks back AND Tkachuk wound up back in St. Louis anyway. And those are just the instances I can think of off the top of my head.

2. The post below lists a few possibilities, but one thing is clear. He almost certainly could've gotten a better deal had he NOT released this afternoon's statement until AFTER completing the trade. Doing so before hand was tantamount to putting an "Everything must go" sign out in front of the Bulb with a picture of Kovy on it.

[ PM Green Hornet ]   __________________
Let's roll, Kato!!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

grifter

February 4, 2010 10:44:37 pm

4th Line Grinder

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Green Hornet said...
quote:
Rasp said...

1. The Hossa deal immediately comes to mind. The Coburn deal is another (yeah, I know he hasn't fully lived up to his potential, but he's still better than Shit-nik). And while Tkachuk helped secure our only playoff appearance to date, we wound up giving up several picks AND giving one of those picks back AND Tkachuk wound up back in St. Louis anyway. And those are just the instances I can think of off the top of my head.

2. The post below lists a few possibilities, but one thing is clear. He almost certainly could've gotten a better deal had he NOT released this afternoon's statement until AFTER completing the trade. Doing so before hand was tantamount to putting an "Everything must go" sign out in front of the Bulb with a picture of Kovy on it.

Bringing up the rear in the #9 & #10 slots...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/The-most-lopsided-NHL-trades-of-the-last-decade?urn=nhl,209570

[ PM grifter ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

kopykat

February 4, 2010 11:28:09 pm

Hall of Famer

Location: sure, I tell you, you tell someone else? I don't think so...
[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...

quote:
Green Hornet said...

just a wondering.....will any of you feel different if Kovy pulls a Tkachuk and somehow re-signs on July 1st?

[ PM kopykat ]   __________________
some people are like slinkies...... they aren't really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

http://www.bringyuenglingtogeorgia.com reportedly coming October 27!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

dmatos

February 4, 2010 11:35:12 pm

Entropy Generator's Dad

[ Link to this post ]

You know Kat,I thought the same thing. He knows what we offered and could ask to come back in July when no one else wants to pony up that kind of cash. He also knows that we'd likely jump at signing him again.

[ PM dmatos ]   __________________
Pics of the kid at g33kbaby.com or go see my flickr stream
Go buy some crap at Tanga it's like woot.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

grifter

February 5, 2010 12:06:22 am

4th Line Grinder

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
kopykat said...

quote:
Rasp said...

quote:
Green Hornet said...

just a wondering.....will any of you feel different if Kovy pulls a Tkachuk and somehow re-signs on July 1st?

i would like to have him back here, but that wouldnt' change the miserable failure tha tis ASG

[ PM grifter ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheDowman

February 5, 2010 12:12:34 am

Nerdroach of the sea!

[ Link to this post ]

He could also be thinking that by getting traded as a rental to another team, there will erupt enough of an outcry from fans for letting the face of the team walk, that DW will gets tossed, and the ASG will pull their heads out of their asses long enough to realize how bad they're fucking this team over.

Then when the team gets a renewed sense of "how fucked up is our management here?" enough will change that he can re-sign in Atlanta next season and get on a team that will actually go somewhere in the city he wants to stay in.

OK, clearly I've had too much here. Does anyone else want a hit off the roach?

[ PM TheDowman ]   __________________
"If there's no good reason for a law to exist, then there is a great reason for it to not exist." - H.A.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Inferno

February 5, 2010 4:54:22 am

Top Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Behind The Net said...
quote:
Inferno said...

Let the Rangers crying commence.

Instead of blaming Waddell, why don't you blame Sather for not offering more? Wade Fucking Redden? Odouya is an upgrade over Rozy. Bergfors looks to be on a Ryan Callahan type of trajectory. Cormier must have something about him, as he was the C on the Canadian Junior team, they don't just hand that out like a participation medal. And they basically flip their 2nd to a late 1st in the draft, and then get a late 2nd for it.

As a former Devils fan, I do think Ilya just might like the low key atmosphere that surrounds the Devils. Light media. Not much fan pressure. Nice place to raise a family...etc.

First off, Bergfors on Callahan trajectory? he has never scored more than 22 goals at any level of hockey and he is currently 22 years old. By the age of 22, Callahan had scored 50+ goals in the OHL, and have scored 35+ in the AHL. Know how many points Bergfors has in his last 16 games? 1...an assist. He started off red hot and has cooled down considerably, as you would expect from a kid with limited goal scoring potential. he's a 3rd liner. Callahan would be a steady 25/25 guy if the Rangers didn't have wastes of space like Drury, Kotalik, Higgins, Lisin, Boyle, Brashear, Voros, etc playing with him here and there. Callahan is a coaches dream, he hits, he PK's he scores goals, he makes plays, he does everything right, and would be scoring if he had any kind of competent linemates with him. when we had Gomez centering him, a halfway decent center, Callahan was on pace to score 35-40 goals.

Oduya is an upgrade of Rozsival? On a SIGNFICANTLY more talented NJ team Oduya is really lighting it up with his 2 goals and 2 assists this year. Rozsival is undoubtedly struggling this year, but he at least has a goal and 13 assists, and has scored 30, 38,40, and 30 points the previous 4 years...all better than Oduyas best season, and all played on NJ Devils teams that finished ahead of the Rangers if im not mistaken. Cormier was the C on the Canadian Junior team and all everyone has talked about was what a colossal mistake it was. He was benched by his coach several times, and was called out in the canadian media for his lack of production in the tournament with only 2 goals and 3 assists in the tournament (for the record, the 4 Rangers prospects in the tournament did as follows, Horak playing for a horrible Czech team had a goal and an assist, Ryan Borque had 3 assists...now the 2 players that Waddell was asking for had...Kreider:6 goals, 1 assist, and Stepan, who led the tournament had 4 goals and 10 assists)

Cormier, if everything works out 100%, and if he can get his homicidal tendancies under wraps, will top out as Chris Neil...a guy who can chip in 10-15 goals, and murder you with hits. He probably will end up being like Ryan Hollweg though, and out of the league within a few years if he cant get his head on straight.

Spin it how you want you guys got fucking hosed, and I am not a jealous Ranger fan here, I don't particularly care about the trade since it doesnt impact my team whatsoever. The Rangers suck with Kovalchuk on the Thrashers, and the Rangers suck with Kovalchuk on the Devils. Even if the Rangers traded for Kovalchuk, we woulda sucked this year too since we just have way too many holes, and trading for Kovy would have opened up even more holes. The trade for you guys gives you, at absolute best, a 2nd-3rd liner, a 2nd pairing defenseman, and a homicidal 3rd line grinder. You didnt get a single player with first line upside. NOT ONE!!!! even the first rounder will likely be low, in which case you are drafting a 2nd liner in a weak draft (At that level). At least in the Hossa deal you picked up Angelo Esposito, who may have had first line upside if everythign worked out (as doubtful as it was), but in this one, at BEST you have a 2nd liner...AT BEST!!! you dont fucking trade one of the 5 best goal scorers, and a sure fire hall of famer in the prime years of his career for THAT kind of a return. It's not nearly enough, not by a mile.

[ PM Inferno ]   __________________
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
The devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
He promised I would find a little solace
And some piece of mind
Whatever just as long as I don't feel so...

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

behind the net

February 5, 2010 7:53:31 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Let it all go.....you wanted him, you didn't get him, your successful little bro down the road did.

Is it a great trade, probably not. But Waddell did not get stuck with any toxic assets, and he brought in players who actually play the game on both ends of the ice. And they all can bring a little snarl to their game.

Enjoy the Erik Christensn show.

[ PM behind the net ]   __________________
A woman who wildly mismanages and bankrupts a quarter-of-a-billion-dollar campaign operation, and then blames sexism in society, will dampen the dreams of our daughters. Maureen Dowd on Hillary Clinton 8/13

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheBrickwall

February 5, 2010 9:18:59 am

He's a Brick...House
He's mighty mighty, just lettin' it all hang out

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Behind the net said...

Enjoy the Erik Christensn show.

Is that the same Christensen that was spun to us as such a valuable asset when Hossa left town?

[ PM TheBrickwall ]   __________________
"We redshirt Miss Americas at Ole Miss."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Section119

February 5, 2010 9:20:45 am

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

The deal is done.

No one is going to change it.

You can always root for another team.

[ PM Section119 ]   __________________
The government can not give to anybody anything the government does not first take from somebody else.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3 4  5  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread