Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> HA - it's happening...

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Cortez the Killer

February 3, 2010 9:22:25 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

HA - it's happening...

"Speaking for myself and myself only, it is my personal belief that allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly would be the right thing to do," Mullen said.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-dont-ask3-2010feb03,0,5202709.story

[ PM Cortez the Killer ]   __________________
I have trouble with math and miss the point of articles.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Iculus

February 3, 2010 10:05:04 pm

Jr. Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

You two can finally join the hottest boy band on earth?

[ PM Iculus ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

February 3, 2010 10:07:44 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

Collin Powell also supports ending DADT

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/02/03/powell.gays.military/index.html?hpt=T2

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

michael corleone

February 3, 2010 10:46:17 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

In possibly related news, the Marines have re instituted the practice of "Code Red" into their training manuals.

[ PM michael corleone ]   __________________
“The United States does not have a security system; it has a system for bothering people.” - Israeli Air-security expert

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jack Hammer

February 3, 2010 10:56:54 pm

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
michael corleone said...
In possibly related news, the Marines have re instituted the practice of "Code Red" into their training manuals.

Naw, we'll just add a homosexual section to the Diversity Training Manual and get on with life.

[ PM Jack Hammer ]   __________________
"I think that "contrarian" is "creative" for the untalented." - Dennis Miller

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

February 4, 2010 6:04:10 am

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Cortez the Killer said...

"Speaking for myself and myself only, it is my personal belief that allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly would be the right thing to do," Mullen said.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-dont-ask3-2010feb03,0,5202709.story

Yep. Much to McCain's (circa 2010) annoyance. Poor old coot was all for letting the Pentagon decide when to end DADT, as long as the Pentagon didn't want to.

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Matheos

February 4, 2010 6:10:09 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
H.A. said...
quote:

Yep. Much to McCain's (circa 2010) annoyance. Poor old coot was all for letting the Pentagon decide when to end DADT, as long as the Pentagon didn't want to.

I saw that clip too (McCain around 2006 in a "town hall" with Chris Matthews, right?)

But now he's changed his mind. Too bad. His anger at the recent hearings was more disappointing than Saxby acting like a moron. I expected it from Saxby.

[ PM Matheos ]   __________________
it's probably not too sensible for me to get loaded while I listen to "Tooth And Nail" all by myself. But I can't deny my heart: I like to drink, and I like to rock. You think I'm an idiot? Fine. You don't have to come over.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

February 4, 2010 6:12:55 am

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Matheos said...
quote:
H.A. said...
quote:

I saw that clip too (McCain around 2006 in a "town hall" with Chris Matthews, right?)

But now he's changed his mind. Too bad. His anger at the recent hearings was more disappointing than Saxby acting like a moron. I expected it from Saxby.

He didn't have a choice. Obama is in favor of ending DADT, so none of the Republicans had a option other than ending it. McCain is apparently going to be in a primary battle in Arizona real soon too.

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hoosier fan

February 4, 2010 8:31:47 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
cheapseats said...

Preamble: I think Colin Powell has served his country honorably for many years and his life is a great American story. I'm glad for him that he is a Republican, even though I am not, and can think of many scenarios in which I would proudly vote for him.

So did this statement include an apology to the thousands who were discharged and the tens of thousands more who have had to live in the shadows due to his actions during the Clinton administration?

From Wikipedia:

"Powell was also instrumental in the 1993 implementation of the military's don't ask, don't tell policy..."

[ PM hoosier fan ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

February 4, 2010 8:45:05 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hoosier fan said...
"Powell was also instrumental in the 1993 implementation of the military's don't ask, don't tell policy..."

Wow. Think of all the money he saved us!

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hoosier fan

February 4, 2010 8:49:11 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
el profesor said...
quote:
hoosier fan said...

So either, 1) his statement didn't include an apology and you're going all "Hey lookie over there!", or 2) it did, but you're going to make it me look it up.

[ PM hoosier fan ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

February 4, 2010 8:57:44 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hoosier fan said...
quote:
el profesor said...
quote:
hoosier fan said...

So either, 1) his statement didn't include an apology and you're going all "Hey lookie over there!", or 2) it did, but you're going to make it me look it up.

I don't know if there was an apology. Nor do I care.

It wasn't a "Hey lookie over there!" at all. Someone in another thread is concerned that these "rights" will cost a lot of money.

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

JG

February 4, 2010 8:58:32 am

Fatty Banger

[ Link to this post ]

We went to an Eyetalian restaurant last night. They had Fagiolas. We said DADT.

[ PM JG ]   __________________
CheapSeats said, "Not quote drani pout."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hoosier fan

February 4, 2010 9:01:54 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
el profesor said...
quote:
hoosier fan said...
quote:
el profesor said...
quote:
hoosier fan said...

I don't know if there was an apology. Nor do I care.

It wasn't a "Hey lookie over there!" at all. Someone in another thread is concerned that these "rights" will cost a lot of money.

Doesn't matter. It was directed more at Cheaps who will actually probably answer the question.

[ PM hoosier fan ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

tvwxman

February 4, 2010 9:19:42 am

Slacker

[ Link to this post ]

Speaking as a libertarian, I don't care who you sleep with if you serve our country.

Speaking as the son of a 25-year navy veteran, I haven't met one soldier/sailor/marine who thinks its a good idea.

[ PM tvwxman ]   __________________
Since this is an era when many people are concerned about "fairness" and "social justice," what is your "fair share" of what someone else has worked for? -- Thomas Sowell

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

February 4, 2010 9:21:03 am

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hoosier fan said...
quote:
cheapseats said...

Preamble: I think Colin Powell has served his country honorably for many years and his life is a great American story. I'm glad for him that he is a Republican, even though I am not, and can think of many scenarios in which I would proudly vote for him.

So did this statement include an apology to the thousands who were discharged and the tens of thousands more who have had to live in the shadows due to his actions during the Clinton administration?

From Wikipedia:

I think in his statement he indicated that the times had changed in the last 17 years. In fact, in 1993 when he supported it, he said he had no idea what the country's feelings would be like in the future.

I don't know that an apology is necessary (although in his shoes I would probably offer one). At the time, DADT was probably seen as a compromise between the "string 'em up" and "let 'em dance" factions.

I'm curious to see McCain's response to Powell's reversal.

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

February 4, 2010 9:23:55 am

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
tvwxman said...
Speaking as a libertarian, I don't care who you sleep with if you serve our country.

Speaking as a humanist, I don't care who you sleep with even if you don't serve our country.

quote:
Speaking as the son of a 25-year navy veteran, I haven't met one soldier/sailor/marine who thinks its a good idea.

There will undoubtedly be growing pains. What do your military friends think will be the problem? Housing?

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Matheos

February 4, 2010 9:25:37 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
H.A. said...
What do your military friends think will be the problem? Housing?

Pink camo

[ PM Matheos ]   __________________
it's probably not too sensible for me to get loaded while I listen to "Tooth And Nail" all by myself. But I can't deny my heart: I like to drink, and I like to rock. You think I'm an idiot? Fine. You don't have to come over.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Millwood

February 4, 2010 9:29:01 am

Top Yeap

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
tvwxman said...

I may be all dumb and shit, but speaking as someone who was in the Marines for 4 years, unless a shitload has changed since I got out an openly gay Marine living in barracks with a bunch of junior Marines would not be a good idea at all. The problems would be endless. Not saying it's right, but 18, 19, 20, etc year old Marines can be pretty ruthless about certain things, and this would be one of them.

Do the gays have their own platoons?? Barracks?? Battalions?? Chowhalls??? Because thats what would have to happen if you did not want problems.

[ PM Millwood ]   __________________
This marble I just ate is soft, chewy and sweet. It reminds me of a gumball. - Barack Obama

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

February 4, 2010 9:31:58 am

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Matheos said...
quote:
H.A. said...
What do your military friends think will be the problem? Housing?

Pink camo

That'll be a bonus if we ever invade France.

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1 2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread