Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> So, was it all just a fluke?

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Green Hornet

January 15, 2011 11:26:12 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

So, was it all just a fluke?
It certainly seems that way. I really thought this team was different and could avoid the annual playoff-killing collapse. Instead, they've now won just one game in regulation over the last 26 days and are about to be on the outside looking in.

Was it all just a fraud?

Please, somebody talk me off the ledge.

[ PM Green Hornet ]   __________________
Let's roll, Kato!!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

DCThrasherfan

January 15, 2011 11:57:16 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

...it's hard to be a Thrasher fan. No way we should be getting blown out like we have been. At least the Falcons are doing well. Oh wait....

[ PM DCThrasherfan ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ApeKing

January 16, 2011 9:30:17 am

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

Hang in there Thrasher fans. The boys are just on a little skid. Coach Ramsey will right the ship very soon. Pavelec will start standing on his head again and all will be right in the world once more!

[ PM ApeKing ]   __________________

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Green Hornet

January 16, 2011 12:10:17 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
ApeKing said...
Hang in there Thrasher fans. The boys are just on a little skid. Coach Ramsey will right the ship very soon. Pavelec will start standing on his head again and all will be right in the world once more!

I'd find A LOT more solace in this if it were not for the fact that the Thrashers' history says otherwise.

[ PM Green Hornet ]   __________________
Let's roll, Kato!!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ApeKing

January 16, 2011 8:40:43 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

Okay look back at the history you are referring to. How many of the current roster and the current coaching staff were there during that history? This too shall pass. Hang in there Thrasher fans!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Inferno

January 17, 2011 2:34:13 pm

Top Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

u guys are in a transition year....same like the Rangers...close to making the playoffs, and if you get in, itll be in one of the last few spots, youll be wiped out in the first round, and all your young talent will learn from it.

not sure about u guys but Rangers have the youngest team in the NHL...id have to figure the Thrashers are right up there as well.

[ PM Inferno ]   __________________
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
The devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
He promised I would find a little solace
And some piece of mind
Whatever just as long as I don't feel so...

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheDowman

January 17, 2011 3:02:07 pm

Nerdroach of the sea!

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
ApeKing said...
Okay look back at the history you are referring to. How many of the current roster and the current coaching staff were there during that history? This too shall pass. Hang in there Thrasher fans!

Look back at Thrashers' history? Was there a year where we didn't have a mid-season meltdown where somewhere in the Dec-Jan point in the schedule they went on a brutal month-long VERY low win percentage streak? It's almost like clockwork. It transcends coaches, rosters, trainers, owners, and now GMs, too. I'm halfway beginning to think that they built Philips Arena over top of some ancient Indian burial ground, or something.

Playoff caliber teams can't take month-long tryptophan naps after Thanksgiving dinner.

[ PM TheDowman ]   __________________
"If there's no good reason for a law to exist, then there is a great reason for it to not exist." - H.A.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

psychotyc

January 18, 2011 11:14:54 am

4th Line Grinder

[ Link to this post ]

Fluke. Hmmm don't think so. I think the biggest problem we have is some really bad bounces some absence of common sense and a couple of injuries. Got a feeling we have been relying on slater (face-offs) and a couple others big buff a little too much as Ramsay said a couple weeks ago. Now if the rest of the team can decide to get with it and saddle up I don't seem a problem. But they are going to have to get with it.

With a slight change in tactics they managed to have 2 scoreless periods which was good. Giving one up on a 5-3 well understandable. All in all the Florida game looked good, some not so great calls but all in all it looked good.

Fluke, yeah I don't think so. Bit outa synch yeah. If they get there butts handed to them by the lightning than I think we need to worry.

[ PM psychotyc ]   __________________
beer is good. more beer is more good.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ShutUp

January 18, 2011 11:56:32 am

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

I always expect the Thrashers to tank late Decemeber through the month of January. I think there's only been 1 or 2 seasons where the Thrashers didn't go on a lengthy losing streak in Jan (05-06, and 06-07 maybe).

Anyway, we have 34 games left. If we can somehow manage to go 20-11-3, we should be able to make the playoffs. There are no easy games here on out. Not even the games against NJD and NYI.

What happened to that guy who used to post point/playoff projections?

[ PM ShutUp ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

January 18, 2011 11:59:18 am

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

he is one of the writers at: http://www.birdwatchersanonymous.com/

What a great OT win last night.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

psychotyc

January 18, 2011 2:04:20 pm

4th Line Grinder

[ Link to this post ]

And a for what it's worth, eager gone to SJ for a fifth round. Sounds about right.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Cowpunk

January 19, 2011 1:28:52 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

The problem is that that the Thrashers have been in a "transitional" or "rebuilding" year for the last ten years. Exacerbating the problem is the octocluster's historical unwillingness to commit serious money to payroll. Unfortunately for the Thrashers (and we fans), the organ-I-zation has proven that you can not put a competitive, playoff quality team on the ice with a league low payroll.

Other teams might get away with success for a year or two with lower payroll, but the problem with atlanta's "non-traditional" market is that top guys are exactly thrilled about coming here.

Ownership has shown that their model is to out as little into the Thrashers as possible. The arena is turning into a dumpy ghost town, the team is circling the playoff drain and the only moves you can expect from the team is to unload mediocre players for 5-7th round picks.

I've seen this movie before. It does not end well.

[ PM Cowpunk ]   __________________

There's lots of fun in Cowpunk.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ApeKing

January 19, 2011 1:42:33 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

I prefer to remain positive in all things. The positive here is they aint out of it yet. This team has been a lot of fun to watch. And they AINT out of it yet. Why are so many hockey fans like chicken little!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bongo

January 20, 2011 7:36:31 am

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

I'll tell you why. 10 years of mediocrity. 10 years of bad decisions from a GM that couldn't run a fantasy team. 10 years of ownership that either doesn't care or doesn't have a clue. 10 years of rebuilding.

I to have liked what I've seen so far from Dud and Ramses. The Christmas vacation is the only familiar reminder of this team's dismal history. The fact remains though that what we have now is a good core of guys to support upper tier players.

Just imagine what kind of team we'd have today if the current group was running things 3 years ago when we had a couple of superstar forwards.

[ PM Bongo ]   __________________
"Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man."...Waylon Jennings

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ApeKing

January 20, 2011 10:23:00 am

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

Note I said hockey fans not Thrasher fans. I have a group of friends on another board that are Cannucks fans, Islander Fans (okay they have good reason) and Oiler fans, Capitals fans and Peingun fans even. And each time one of their teams go into even a moderate slide they start screaming the sky is falling! While ours is not that situation I still prefer to remain optimistic.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bongo

January 20, 2011 10:55:47 am

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

I would be more optimistic(even if we had a losing record)if D-Wadd and Atlanta Spirit were taken out of the equation.

[ PM Bongo ]   __________________
"Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man."...Waylon Jennings

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

behind the net

January 20, 2011 10:50:57 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

What is our record over the last 20 games? Probably pretty shitty.

The problem I have is not that this team collapses every winter. It is that management does **** all about it every, single, time.

Dudley knew this team was weak up front, he should have made a deal from strength when we were on a roll earlier in December. Instead he just hoped we would continue to get lucky with career scoring projections from half the lineup.

[ PM behind the net ]   __________________
ôA woman who wildly mismanages and bankrupts a quarter-of-a-billion-dollar campaign operation, and then blames sexism in society, will dampen the dreams of our daughters.ö Maureen Dowd on Hillary Clinton 8/13

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Section119

January 21, 2011 8:24:58 pm

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

I think it more other teams realizing they can't give Buf and Toby any space/time. Now the coaches need to adjust to the opponents adjustments. This is the time of season where we find out what we have 1) Same old Trashers or 2) Better Thrashers.

[ PM Section119 ]   __________________
The government can not give to anybody anything the government does not first take from somebody else.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

psychotyc

January 21, 2011 9:42:09 pm

4th Line Grinder

[ Link to this post ]

well if it is just a fluke hopefully it will explode in a spectacular fashion and cost ownership the rest of the $ they have....

on the other hand... if they get it together they might be able to sell it to someone who gives a rats....

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Inferno

January 23, 2011 1:01:35 pm

Top Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
cowpunk said...
The problem is that that the Thrashers have been in a "transitional" or "rebuilding" year for the last ten years. Exacerbating the problem is the octocluster's historical unwillingness to commit serious money to payroll. Unfortunately for the Thrashers (and we fans), the organ-I-zation has proven that you can not put a competitive, playoff quality team on the ice with a league low payroll.

Other teams might get away with success for a year or two with lower payroll, but the problem with atlanta's "non-traditional" market is that top guys are exactly thrilled about coming here.

Ownership has shown that their model is to out as little into the Thrashers as possible. The arena is turning into a dumpy ghost town, the team is circling the playoff drain and the only moves you can expect from the team is to unload mediocre players for 5-7th round picks.

I've seen this movie before. It does not end well.

well, they were willing to commit 100 million bucks to Kovalchuk, so its not that. i think the team needs to develop more than just 1 young player at a time. right now you guys have Little, Enstrom, Burmistrov, Cormier, Bogosian, Pavelec just off the top of my head all growing together. the key is to have lots of players all growing together at the same time. at least imho.

Right now the Rangers have 11 kids who are either currently on this roster or are out due to injury, who have only played for the rangers organization (draft picks or undrafted free agents like Dan Girardi and Mats Zuccarello). You guys are starting to do the same thing. it takes time, and it takes very smart drafting. Ive really liked what the Thrashers have done the past few years with their drafts.

[ PM Inferno ]   __________________
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
The devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
He promised I would find a little solace
And some piece of mind
Whatever just as long as I don't feel so...

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Previous Thread | Next Thread