Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> Obama's had a good week!

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

DDF

April 19, 2011 1:17:06 pm

Internet Guro

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
kio said...
Dem political ad from YouTube in reply. He got you IPTAY, he really got you.

That wasn't in reply to Iptay. It was just a reply to the thread, but it makes my point that the GOP budget plan is easy to attack.

[ PM DDF ]   __________________
‎"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Matheos

April 19, 2011 1:24:38 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

4 years old, but still interesting

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-05-20-cover-generation-wealth_N.htm

"Nearly all additional wealth created in the USA since 1989 has gone to people 55 and older, according to Federal Reserve data. Wealth has doubled since 1989 in households headed by older Americans."

[ PM Matheos ]   __________________
it's probably not too sensible for me to get loaded while I listen to "Tooth And Nail" all by myself. But I can't deny my heart: I like to drink, and I like to rock. You think I'm an idiot? Fine. You don't have to come over.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

April 19, 2011 1:41:22 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Matheos said...

"Nearly all additional wealth created in the USA since 1989 has gone to people 55 and older, according to Federal Reserve data. Wealth has doubled since 1989 in households headed by older Americans."

I would think a lot of that has to do with older people holding more savings in bonds and cash equivalents when the stock market went to shit, and already owning more/most of their homes when the real estate went to shit.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

hoosier fan

April 19, 2011 1:51:41 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
CheapSeats said...
quote:
Matheos said...

I would think a lot of that has to do with older people holding more savings in bonds and cash equivalents when the stock market went to shit, and already owning more/most of their homes when the real estate went to shit.

a) The stock market hadn't gone to**** when this was written. That didn't happen until '08.

ii) If your house is worth $50,000 less today than it was yesterday you lost the same amount of money whether you owe $0, $100,000 or $1,000,000.

I didn't read the article in depth, but I would think that this age group accumulates most of the wealth generated in any time frame. They should be pretty much past their peak spending years, close to their peak earning years and they are compounding on whatever savings they did initiate at younger ages. Seems like a dog-bites-man story to me.

This trend may change given the fact that Baby Boomers are reputed to be notorious non-savers. Present company excluded, of course.

[ PM hoosier fan ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Matheos

April 19, 2011 1:59:21 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

I'm just surprised the Dems are jumping in bed with the wealthiest demographic in the country and putting out political ads claiming old people will have to mow lawns to survive. Advocacy for the richest among us seems like such a RightWing thing to do.

[ PM Matheos ]   __________________
it's probably not too sensible for me to get loaded while I listen to "Tooth And Nail" all by myself. But I can't deny my heart: I like to drink, and I like to rock. You think I'm an idiot? Fine. You don't have to come over.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

April 19, 2011 2:04:51 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Matheos said...
I'm just surprised the Dems are jumping in bed with the wealthiest demographic in the country and putting out political ads claiming old people will have to mow lawns to survive. Advocacy for the richest among us seems like such a RightWing thing to do.

Scaring the old people about their healthcare and their social security is a winning strategery no matter which side of the aisle you sit on.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

DDF

April 19, 2011 3:35:57 pm

Internet Guro

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
CheapSeats said...
quote:
Matheos said...

Scaring the old people about their healthcare and their social security is a winning strategery no matter which side of the aisle you sit on.

Yes, exactly! and the usual edge the GOP has with this demographic will be neutralized.

‎"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hoosier fan

April 19, 2011 3:47:33 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
ddf said...
quote:
CheapSeats said...
quote:
Matheos said...

Yes, exactly! and the usual edge the GOP has with this demographic will be neutralized.

I think someone hacked DDF's account. All of the posts, even the first one, are a little off-tune and plus he would never admit that the GOP had an edge with any demographic besides racist homophobes.

I'm calling either BS, or DDF is on (or off) meds.

[ PM hoosier fan ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

April 19, 2011 3:57:49 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hoosier fan said...
I think someone hacked DDF's account. All of the posts, even the first one, are a little off-tune and plus he would never admit that the GOP had an edge with any demographic besides racist homophobes.

That's exactly the demographic he was talking about.

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

DDF

April 19, 2011 6:00:42 pm

Internet Guro

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hoosier fan said...
quote:
ddf said...
quote:
CheapSeats said...
quote:
Matheos said...

I'm calling either BS, or DDF is on (or off) meds.

I thought it was common knowledge.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/289821

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

DDF

April 20, 2011 12:55:02 pm

Internet Guro

[ Link to this post ]

Check out the last two questions. Seniors aren't big fans of the GOP "vouchers for Medicaid" idea.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hoosier fan

April 20, 2011 1:06:51 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
ddf said...
Check out the last two questions. Seniors aren't big fans of the GOP "vouchers for Medicaid" idea.

voted: not ddf (or his Dr changed his meds)

[ PM hoosier fan ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

IPTAY FAMILY

April 20, 2011 1:33:23 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
ddf said...

So we are back to the scare tactics and hoping that people are stupid. "Seniors" aren't part of the premium assistance. Its only for folks currently 55 and under.

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stories/2011/March/03/ryan-medicare-vouchers.aspx

quote:
Voucher amounts would vary depending on an individual's income and health status. The higher the income, the lower the subsidy. Low-income people, he said, would pay little if anything, and those in the center of the middle class would fare about the same as they do now. If a person became ill and needed more medical care, more financial help would become available.

Ryan didnĺt spell out details today at an event sponsored by National Journal. But as part of his Roadmap for Americaĺs Future, which he has said he will revise this year, Ryan has proposed beginning Medicare at age 69 for those who currently arenĺt near retirement. Eligibility now starts at 65. Under the Roadmap, Ryan has proposed that vouchers cover $11,000 of the cost of a private health plan, which he has said is the average amount of money that Medicare now spends on a beneficiary.

Its a stupid idea, but so is Obama's. But it nice to hear all the crazies mischaracterize it hoping to scare up support. I thought we got all of the "he played on our fears" out during Bush V.2.

Could this Obama's version of the mythical Death Panel?

[ PM IPTAY FAMILY ]   __________________
It's not the heat. It's the stupidity.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

DDF

April 20, 2011 5:53:29 pm

Internet Guro

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
IPTAY FAMILY said...
quote:
ddf said...

So we are back to the scare tactics and hoping that people are stupid. "Seniors" aren't part of the premium assistance. Its only for folks currently 55 and under.

I think they know that but they still don't think it's a good idea.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

DDF

April 22, 2011 10:19:25 am

Internet Guro

[ Link to this post ]

People are getting upset about the RyanGOP budget proposal and congresscritters are already having uncomfortable moments like this one at their town halls. So far their only defense is about semantics, "It's not true that we're getting rid of Medicare because we're calling the vouchers that we're going to replace Medicare with Medicare as well."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hoosier fan

April 22, 2011 10:23:34 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

You sound more like you're trying to convince yourself more than anyone else.

[ PM hoosier fan ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

April 22, 2011 10:49:47 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hoosier fan said...

Translation: "I got nothing."

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hoosier fan

April 22, 2011 10:55:56 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
El profesor said...
quote:
hoosier fan said...

Translation: "I got nothing."

You speak fluent Hoosier Fan.....

[ PM hoosier fan ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

DDF

April 22, 2011 1:42:50 pm

Internet Guro

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
hoosier fan said...

Convince myself of what? That the GOP is committing electoral suicide? That is becoming more and more evident. No convincing needed.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hoosier fan

April 22, 2011 2:12:33 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
ddf said...
quote:
hoosier fan said...

Convince myself of what? That the GOP is committing electoral suicide? That is becoming more and more evident. No convincing needed.

So if the opposition is destroying itself, you keep your mouth shut and let it happen. If that's what you really think is happening.

The lefty doth protest too much, methinks....

[ PM hoosier fan ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3 4  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread