Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> Bill Daly Q&A with Jeff Schultz

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

AMike

May 12, 2011 5:07:32 pm

I give bad gambling advice

[ Link to this post ]

Bill Daly Q&A with Jeff Schultz
http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/05/12/will-nhl-abandon-thrashers-atlanta-after-rescuing-others/

Q: Where do we stand with the Thrashers?

A: “That’s more a question for [part-owner] Bruce [Levenson} than it is for me. He’s the one working on trying to find new ownership for the franchise. We’ve been working with him closely for a number of years in efforts to sell the franchise. Those efforts are ongoing. But there is nothing that has made sense to this point.”

Q: Can you guarantee the team will be in Atlanta next season?

A: “Nope. I can’t guarantee that.”

Q: So what are the chances of the Thrashers being relocated?

A: “I’m not into handicapping. I’m usually wrong.”

Q: Can you address rumors that a franchise sale and a move to Winnipeg is pretty much done and that an announcement is imminent?

A: “There is nothing that has been done, nothing has been planned and nothing has been scheduled. Certainly, no transaction has been agreed to, not that I’m aware of.”

Q: Have the Thrashers had negotiations with True North?

A: “I wouldn’t comment on that. That’s something you would have to ask the Thrashers about.”

Q: That’s not exactly a denial.

A: “But I would say the same thing even if I knew for a fact that they had not spoken to somebody. It’s not my role to publicly talk to the media about who Bruce Levenson might or might not be talking to.” (Note: Levenson told the AJC on Wednesday: “We are continuing to seek solutions for the Thrashers. I will not comment on any speculation.”

Q: You and commissioner Gary Bettman both made frequent trips to Phoenix to speak publicly about the Coyotes staying there, but there has been no similar efforts in Atlanta. Why not?

A: “The situations are very different from a host of perspectives, but not the least of which are the bankruptcy issues we had [in Phoenix], the fight in bankruptcy court and the league having to purchase the club. There were a unique set of circumstances that required the league’s presence in Glendale. The bottom line is, we owned that club.”

Q: I understand that. But does that preclude you or Gary from coming to Atlanta to show support for the franchise and help the process?

A: “No, of course not. If there was some reasonable sense that a public appeal would move the process along, then something would be done. But we’re not at that point.”

Q: Can you understand why Atlanta hockey fans might feel like the NHL is abandoning them, especially given the league’s silence?

A: “Again, what that opinion lacks is any real information as to what we have been doing over a number of years. There have been efforts to sell the club. We feel it is best that franchises not be relocated and we’ve made a commitment to keep franchises in the marketplace. Everything we’ve done with the Thrashers is consistent with that.”

Q: But not to the point of guaranteeing that they will remain in Atlanta?

A: “Correct.”

Q: You don’t find that response in conflict with Gary saying that the NHL is committed to cities and has a covenant with fans?

A: “No, because as I just tried to explain, nobody really knows exactly what we’ve been doing. Good for us. But over a course of years, what we’ve done for the Thrashers franchise has been very consistent with what we’ve done for other franchises.”

[ PM AMike ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bongo

May 13, 2011 3:00:08 pm

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

We are so fucked.

[ PM Bongo ]   __________________
"Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man."...Waylon Jennings

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

fireball

May 14, 2011 7:55:27 am

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
AMike said...
"... as I just tried to explain, nobody really knows exactly what we’ve been doing."

Truest statement of the interview.

[ PM fireball ]   __________________
Dave Barry for President
Yes, of the United States

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheDowman

May 16, 2011 10:54:31 am

Nerdroach of the sea!

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Fireball said...
quote:
AMike said...
"... as I just tried to explain, nobody really knows exactly what we’ve been doing."

Truest statement of the interview.

You are correct, sir.

[ PM TheDowman ]   __________________
"If there's no good reason for a law to exist, then there is a great reason for it to not exist." - H.A.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Section119

May 16, 2011 1:47:39 pm

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

"We’ve been working with him closely for a number of years in efforts to sell the franchise."

So all these years we have been lied to. Big surpirse!

[ PM Section119 ]   __________________
The government can not give to anybody anything the government does not first take from somebody else.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Boatdrinks

May 16, 2011 2:10:31 pm

BOOO YAHHH Skeedaddy

[ Link to this post ]

We need a list of every single business associated with ASG so I can make sure to never spend another dime with them.

[ PM Boatdrinks ]   __________________
There will always be war, so you might as well pick a fucking side.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

DCThrasherfan

May 17, 2011 9:10:35 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
boatdrinks said...
We need a list of every single business associated with ASG so I can make sure to never spend another dime with them.

I'm with you......

[ PM DCThrasherfan ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Previous Thread | Next Thread