Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> Looks like the Thrashers will play to packed houses

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

TheDowman

June 6, 2011 10:04:47 am

Nerdroach of the sea!

[ Link to this post ]

Looks like the Thrashers will play to packed houses
The AJC reported that it took the Winnipeg folk about 17 minutes to sell all 13,000 season tickets. Not only that, but the season tickets are all three- to five-year commitments. It looks like Blueland's best will be playing in front of packed houses now for at least the next several years, instead of the mostly-empty home nests they got here.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-thrashers/winnipeg-nhl-team-sells-967421.html

At least the Winnipeggers are doing well by our boys, although it does sting this Atlanta fan's pride just a bit.

[ PM TheDowman ]   __________________
"If there's no good reason for a law to exist, then there is a great reason for it to not exist." - H.A.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ShutUp

June 6, 2011 10:42:59 am

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
TheDowman said...
The AJC reported that it took the Winnipeg folk about 17 minutes to sell all 13,000 season tickets. Not only that, but the season tickets are all three- to five-year commitments. It looks like Blueland's best will be playing in front of packed houses now for at least the next several years, instead of the mostly-empty home nests they got here.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-thrashers/winnipeg-nhl-team-sells-967421.html

At least the Winnipeggers are doing well by our boys, although it does sting this Atlanta fan's pride just a bit.

Those were basically just deposits for the right to purchase tickets. There's nothing to prove all of these fans will actually end up paying. Also, a packed house in WPG will be 15,000. Not too impressive. This team will be struggling financially in a few years, and ultimately this WPG experiment will fail.

[ PM ShutUp ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheDowman

June 6, 2011 11:40:21 am

Nerdroach of the sea!

[ Link to this post ]

While a packed house in WPG may "only" be 15,000. The Bulb only held 3,000 more than that. That's not a HUGE difference. Additionally, the atmosphere for players and fans alike is totally different when most or all of the seats in an arena are filled than what you get on your typical far-less-than-half-full weeknight game at Philips. The energy difference is palpable. I gotta imagine that players LOVE looking up and seeing full stands - even if they're on a little po-dunk minor league squad playing to a 3,000 seat arena. The guys deserve that excitement.

Hopefully, that will take a little bit of the sting out of having to spend half the season in a frozen sub-arctic tundra.

"If there's no good reason for a law to exist, then there is a great reason for it to not exist." - H.A.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Valabiktorian

June 6, 2011 1:27:12 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

It was actually the open-to-the-public seats that sold in 17 minutes - there were something like 5,000 available. The other 8,000 had sold over the previous few days to season ticket holders of Winnipeg's AHL club.

Impressive nonetheless.

[ PM Valabiktorian ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

poliguin

June 6, 2011 9:42:14 pm

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

Not saying the numbers aren't impressive, but . . . .

For starters, the 3k difference in attendance size is a net loss of possible revenue of around 1.95 million a year - and that's just gate revenue.

For me one of the biggest "WTF" items for me is to say the team is loosing money here so move it to Winnipeg. How in the**** does that make sense? Just pure numbers:

Current payroll - 46.6$ Million (USD) not going to adjust as you are generally within one cent on either side right now.

At 44 games (41 regular season + 3 pre-season) and sellout of every game (15,015) you need to net an average ticket price of 70.54$ (USD) per ticket. Yet their average price they have now is 65$ (USD) per ticket. That nets out to a net loss of 3,660,056.40$ (USD) base on just attendance. And you're in the hole just with roster payroll. I know that there's more to the numbers (corporate sponsorship, revenue from people buying crap at the game, etc). But in general you're already set to loose money and the whole argument is based on the team loosing money where it is now. Bah.

While I hate loosing the team, for me I'm more angry about the argument that they're loosing money here and the team needs to move to an area that is more viable to make a profit. Looking at the numbers of other economic factors, all signs point to this team being back in the same position it is now in the next 6-7 years but could possibly ride out a decade. If you're going to tell me that the team is going to leave to finally make money at least put it in a market and arena situation where you can say that is actually going to happen.

[ PM poliguin ]   __________________
return 'uuiiifhhaannukkulluffffcjjddwwqqk!!!'.replace(/([a-z])\1/gi, '');

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

kopykat

June 7, 2011 9:34:30 am

Hall of Famer

Location: sure, I tell you, you tell someone else? I don't think so...
[ Link to this post ]

I'm glad Winnipeg proved that they want a team. I'd be really pissed if they couldn't do it or even just barely did it. these are just deposits but I'm sure the "finishing rate" will be around 95% and they already have other folks on a waiting list to take any others that are released.
while (at least for now) Winnipeg could probably fill an arena the size of Philips perhaps the NHL should look at starting to play out of slightly smaller arenas? the NHL will forever be #4 in the top 4 pro sports leagues in the USA.

[ PM kopykat ]   __________________
some people are like slinkies...... they aren't really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

http://www.bringyuenglingtogeorgia.com reportedly coming October 27!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

COUSIN ELVIS

June 7, 2011 10:04:07 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
poliguin said...
Not saying the numbers aren't impressive, but . . . .

For starters, the 3k difference in attendance size is a net loss of possible revenue of around 1.95 million a year - and that's just gate revenue.

For me one of the biggest "WTF" items for me is to say the team is loosing money here so move it to Winnipeg. How in the**** does that make sense? Just pure numbers:

Current payroll - 46.6$ Million (USD) not going to adjust as you are generally within one cent on either side right now.

At 44 games (41 regular season + 3 pre-season) and sellout of every game (15,015) you need to net an average ticket price of 70.54$ (USD) per ticket. Yet their average price they have now is 65$ (USD) per ticket. That nets out to a net loss of 3,660,056.40$ (USD) base on just attendance. And you're in the hole just with roster payroll. I know that there's more to the numbers (corporate sponsorship, revenue from people buying crap at the game, etc). But in general you're already set to loose money and the whole argument is based on the team loosing money where it is now. Bah.

While I hate loosing the team, for me I'm more angry about the argument that they're loosing money here and the team needs to move to an area that is more viable to make a profit. Looking at the numbers of other economic factors, all signs point to this team being back in the same position it is now in the next 6-7 years but could possibly ride out a decade. If you're going to tell me that the team is going to leave to finally make money at least put it in a market and arena situation where you can say that is actually going to happen.

I DIDNT SEE TV MONEY ADDED INTO YOUR MATH, HOW MUCH IS THAT GONNA BE ALL TOGETHER?

+ I THINK THEY MIGHT SELL ONE OR TWO OF THE TEAMS JERSEYS, WHAT YOU RECKON?

[ PM COUSIN ELVIS ]   __________________
http://twitter.com/COUSINELVIS
"Do you guys have room for me in lala land??" MILLWOOD ON 16MAR10

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheDowman

June 7, 2011 10:51:10 am

Nerdroach of the sea!

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
poliguin said...
While I hate loosing the team, for me I'm more angry about the argument that they're loosing money here and the team needs to move to an area that is more viable to make a profit.

I never got the impression that that WAS an arguement for moving the team.

I thought the team was being moved A) The octoclusterfuck wanted to sell the team, B) Because no one who wanted to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta made a viable offer (or the OCF just rejected local buyers out of hand by making up whatever excuse was necessary), and C) the only people that DID make a viable offer REALLY wanted to buy a team that they could move up to Winnipeg (or that the OCF was only willing to sell to people who would move the team somewhere else). True North and the Winnipeggers may have tried to BS people into thinking it would be profitable in WPG, but that was never the reason WHY they wanted to move the team there.

I can't remember if this was posted here or not, but there's an interesting article here about how the NHL by-laws might not actually permit the team to be moved.

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/atlanta-thrashers/2011/5/26/2190276/atlanta-thrashers-sale-nhl-bylaws-news

Of course, if the NHL Board of Governors operate by typical Parliamentary Procedure, they'll just either ignore them completely or else take a quick vote to waive the by-laws in this instance and it won't matter a damn, anyway.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bongo

June 8, 2011 9:24:33 am

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

Our team is gone because the league wanted ASG out so much the were willing to sacrifice the market. I don't have an MBA but when has Bettman ever done anything smart?

Playing in front of 15K beats our numbers by a mile. I'm happy for the guys on the team. They're the only real winners in this mess.

[ PM Bongo ]   __________________
"Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man."...Waylon Jennings

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

June 8, 2011 11:25:10 am

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Bongo said...
Our team is gone because the league wanted ASG out so much the were willing to sacrifice the market. I don't have an MBA but when has Bettman ever done anything smart?

Playing in front of 15K beats our numbers by a mile. I'm happy for the guys on the team. They're the only real winners in this mess.

confirm. I hope the players love the crowds, and wish the peggers, the best.

they have a WAY smaller POTENTIAL TV market and corporate sponsorship base but they have a billionaire owner who won't give a**** about losing money.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

TheDowman

June 8, 2011 11:56:14 am

Nerdroach of the sea!

[ Link to this post ]

I'm torn as to whether or not to renew my Center Ice subscription next year.

On one hand the NHL fucked me by taking my team away from me. On the other hand, I'd like to see our guys' games next year, and I certainly ain't about to drive to Manitoba.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bongo

June 8, 2011 11:58:49 am

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

If NHL network continues to broadcast HNIC on Saturdays, I'm sure the Winnipeg Whatevers will be a regular game.

[ PM Bongo ]   __________________
"Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man."...Waylon Jennings

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

poliguin

June 8, 2011 7:32:54 pm

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
TheDowman said...

I thought the team was being moved A) The octoclusterfuck wanted to sell the team, B) Because no one who wanted to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta made a viable offer (or the OCF just rejected local buyers out of hand by making up whatever excuse was necessary), and C) the only people that DID make a viable offer REALLY wanted to buy a team that they could move up to Winnipeg (or that the OCF was only willing to sell to people who would move the team somewhere else). True North and the Winnipeggers may have tried to BS people into thinking it would be profitable in WPG YWG, but that was never the reason WHY they wanted to move the team there.

All very true and valid points. My point is that all along (since years before OCF really drove the team into the ground), there was always seemingly the cry from Canadian crowds that YWG should have a team over Atlanta as it would be a better fit. If by fit you mean more loyal fan base, than yes, you can win that argument. The bottom line is that financially it makes no sense for the NHL at all. This about sums up my thoughts on it: http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/20/nhl-move-to-winnipeg-a-step-back.

What Bongo said is about all I can guess is the case. If cronies at the NHL offices would just grow a pair and say this is the case then I can accept it. But in the mean time its just a bunch of shit.

[ PM poliguin ]   __________________
return 'uuiiifhhaannukkulluffffcjjddwwqqk!!!'.replace(/([a-z])\1/gi, '');

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Previous Thread | Next Thread