Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> Jets angst.

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Bongo

November 14, 2011 9:46:20 am

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

Jets angst.
This is more fun than I thought it would be. After losing to the BJs Saturday night, the Jets fans over on HF are imploding. There was a thread(gone now)called Death to the Thrashers and their losing ways. The post game thread is pretty funny to. They should have paid more attention to the SE Div. and kept Ramsey.

[ PM Bongo ]   __________________
"Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man."...Waylon Jennings

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pasimistic

November 14, 2011 10:51:02 am

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

It's like deja vu all over again.

It's so nice to no longer have an emotional investment in that train wreck. I just realized I am one of the winners in this situation. I didn't just lose a hockey team, I lost an albatross... Hallelujah!

[ PM Pasimistic ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bongo

November 14, 2011 11:05:32 am

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

I'm now convinced the Atlanta Thrashers were nothing more than an elaborate con job. At least the ASG years. They're somebody else's problem now. Maybe the awesome fans in Winnipeg should have paid more attention to the SE Division.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ShutUp

November 14, 2011 1:08:37 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

The Jets are going to struggle with Hainsey and Toby out. Their defense is in pretty bad shape when Bogo is their best defenseman. They still can't score either. They never addressed the scoring problem in the off-season, and I doubt they'll ever be able to attract any legit scoring threats via free agency.

I'm still waiting for the amazing crowd support to help the Jets win games. Didn't seem to help in their 5-2 loss against Florida.

Here's to hoping the Lightning light em up tonight.

[ PM ShutUp ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bongo

November 14, 2011 1:27:59 pm

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
shutup said...
The Jets are going to struggle with Hainsey and Toby out. Their defense is in pretty bad shape when Bogo is their best defenseman. They still can't score either. They never addressed the scoring problem in the off-season, and I doubt they'll ever be able to attract any legit scoring threats via free agency.

I'm still waiting for the amazing crowd support to help the Jets win games. Didn't seem to help in their 5-2 loss against Florida.

Here's to hoping the Lightning light em up tonight.

I still can't bring myself to root for the Bolts. maybe one day if i live close by. I'll be watching the Canes. I'm really digging their games as well as Nashville's.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TomACE

November 15, 2011 5:30:41 am

4th Line Grinder

[ Link to this post ]

This is the source and not a HF thread.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/death-to-the-thrashers-and-their-low-standards-133792563.html

Can you imagine quotes on changing culture from Ramsay? Ramsay was part of that losing culture and it was likely one of the reasons why TNSE wanted no part of him. TNSE made crystal clear to properly build a team, which means that young assets are important building blocks. Like Zach Bogosian, who clashed with one of the AC's last season. This happened under Ramsay's watch.

Can't say that I'm surprised to see the quotes coming from two people with no affiliation with the Thrashers. Mason is a bit of weird case, since he was part of the group. He was one of the first players to express his appreciation to play in Canada. Maybe he was just sick of the losing culture in Atlanta?

[ PM TomACE ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

RoyalAir

November 15, 2011 11:45:16 am

SheAndOnoVan's Bitch

[ Link to this post ]

Wait, you mean moving the Winnipeg, where all the fans are knowledgeable and will provide a sold-out phone booth every night hasn't caused the Jets to win a bunch of games? Don't they realize they're the Jets!? The pride of Manitoba?

Sorry, Peggers, but this is what you get when you don't do your homework about A) What you're buying 2) Who you've hired to run it d) how successful organizations actually operate.

Winterpeg has an AHL GM, an AHL coach, and mostly AHL talent, and they're wondering why the team is garbage? I thought you Peggers were supposed to be smarter than that.

[ PM RoyalAir ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

behind the net

November 15, 2011 8:07:04 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Perhaps the players saw another tight fisted ownership whose major moves in the offseason generally involved signing former Manitoba Moose players, didn't do**** to improve the team from last year, brought in an AHL coach and GM, saw how they apparently think winning in the AHL is more important than the NHL, appear to be ready to sit this season out to get a good draft pick, and said...."damn we got tricked"?

How many NHL players did Chevy develop in Chicago? But I am sure he knows how to get it done now....right?

The fact that a guy that stunk it up and mailed it last season like Mason is the only guy from last season willing to take managements side when talking to the media speaks volumes about what the guys in the room think about the owners, management, and coaching staff.

Tim Fucking Stapleton is running the PP point for Christs Sake, but go ahead blame the fat lazy Thrashers for your suckitude....it probably makes these elitist Canadians feel better about themselves. At least it took us more than a year for the honeymoon to end, they barely got out of the first month of the season before blaming us for shitty hockey.

[ PM behind the net ]   __________________
ôA woman who wildly mismanages and bankrupts a quarter-of-a-billion-dollar campaign operation, and then blames sexism in society, will dampen the dreams of our daughters.ö Maureen Dowd on Hillary Clinton 8/13

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Valabiktorian

November 16, 2011 9:35:36 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

I'm amazed at how disinterested I've been in the Jets. Like everyone else, I was crushed when the inevitable happened and the Thrashers were shipped off to Manitoba. Unlike some, I thought I'd maintain a rooting interest in them, though, especially for as long as they had the same core players we finished with. I even followed them through the preseason and had plans to watch the season opener at a bar somewhere. Can't remember now what it was on my calendar that kept from watching the home opener that night but I've had zero inclination to watch any games since and haven't even really followed the NHL at all since the season started. I don't even care about the Bruins anymore and they were my team before the Thrashers came along.

[ PM Valabiktorian ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ShutUp

November 16, 2011 10:42:03 am

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Valabiktorian said...
I'm amazed at how disinterested I've been in the Jets. Like everyone else, I was crushed when the inevitable happened and the Thrashers were shipped off to Manitoba. Unlike some, I thought I'd maintain a rooting interest in them, though, especially for as long as they had the same core players we finished with. I even followed them through the preseason and had plans to watch the season opener at a bar somewhere. Can't remember now what it was on my calendar that kept from watching the home opener that night but I've had zero inclination to watch any games since and haven't even really followed the NHL at all since the season started. I don't even care about the Bruins anymore and they were my team before the Thrashers came along.

Same here. I was planning on getting Center Ice again and following the Jets. I was also going to get buy one of those Predators Ticket packages for ex-Thrasher fans. I haven't done either. I'll sometimes turn on games when they're on VS or NHL Network, and I've been watching some Canes/Preds games on FSN occasionally, but my passion for NHL hockey is pretty much gone. I've mostly been checking NHL scores in the morning, and hoping the Jets lose every game. If I seem bitter, it's because I am.

Only thing I'm really looking forward to is the Jets game in Nashville in March. But that's mostly because I want to boo douchebags like Ladd and Mason and cheer against the Jets in person.

[ PM ShutUp ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

RoyalAir

November 16, 2011 11:02:35 am

SheAndOnoVan's Bitch

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
shutup said...
I was also going to get buy one of those Predators Ticket packages for ex-Thrasher fans. I haven't done either. I'll sometimes turn on games when they're on VS or NHL Network, and I've been watching some Canes/Preds games on FSN occasionally, but my passion for NHL hockey is pretty much gone. I've mostly been checking NHL scores in the morning, and hoping the Jets lose every game. If I seem bitter, it's because I am.

Only thing I'm really looking forward to is the Jets game in Nashville in March. But that's mostly because I want to boo douchebags like Ladd and Mason and cheer against the Jets in person.

I live in Chattanooga, and a buddy of mine is a huge Preds fan. He took me to a Preds game earlier this season, and that was the first (and only) hockey I've seen either live or on TV this season. And I just didn't really care. I only went cos I had a free ticket and he offered to drive.

My passion for the NHL was killed by the usual suspects of ASG, Thomson, and Bettman/Daly. While I thought maybe, just maybe, I'd start to follow Enstrom, Pavelec, and Little if somehow they were traded to teams with a pulse, I now realize that I won't, and likely never will. I pull for the Jets to lose every game, and I hope that the AHL mgmt crew they have in place at their truckstop/arena continues the futile tradition. I want to see that franchise fail in every possible way, and hopefully relocated to Kansas City or something like that in about seven years.

I'll go to the Preds/Jets game for the very same reason. I'll wear a Thrashers jersey and a Preds hat, but I'm booing the **** out of the Jets.

On a completely different tangent, does anyone watch Real Sports with Bryant Gumble? They had an awesome piece about depression among NHL enforcers and how that may have led to the deaths of Rypien, Boogaard, and Belak. Anyway, Bill Daly was interviewed in it, and came across like a gold-plated asshole. If I'm the NHL's PR firm, I'm forbidding that moron from ever getting in front of a camera or microphone again.

[ PM RoyalAir ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bongo

November 16, 2011 11:06:07 am

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

I recorded a preseason game between the Threts and Canes and couldn't bring myself to watch it. I was invited by my neighbor to watch the opening game in Whineypeg but passed because i knew the Canadian broadcasters would just slam Atlanta(they did). I couldn't find anyone to go with me to see Buffalo or Montreal in Nashville but I've got tickets for the Hawks in January, the Sharks in Feb., and a small cadre of Chicken Heads are going up for the Jets game in March.

One positive that has come from this clusterfuck is the availability of Carolina and Nashville games in the Atlanta area. Thrasher broadcast sucked because they were done on the cheap. At least now we get to see two better teams with better announcers and production.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheDowman

November 16, 2011 11:21:08 am

Nerdroach of the sea!

[ Link to this post ]

It may be worth tuning into Threts games just to watch actual attendance in the arena dwindle. Sure, they're sold out for three years, but how many people will actually come to the games?

[ PM TheDowman ]   __________________
"If there's no good reason for a law to exist, then there is a great reason for it to not exist." - H.A.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

RoyalAir

November 16, 2011 11:25:25 am

SheAndOnoVan's Bitch

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Bongo said...
I recorded a preseason game between the Threts and Canes and couldn't bring myself to watch it. I was invited by my neighbor to watch the opening game in Whineypeg but passed because i knew the Canadian broadcasters would just slam Atlanta(they did). I couldn't find anyone to go with me to see Buffalo or Montreal in Nashville but I've got tickets for the Hawks in January, the Sharks in Feb., and a small cadre of Chicken Heads are going up for the Jets game in March.

One positive that has come from this clusterfuck is the availability of Carolina and Nashville games in the Atlanta area. Thrasher broadcast sucked because they were done on the cheap. At least now we get to see two better teams with better announcers and production.

When I lived in SC, I didn't much care for the Canes broadcasters, but that was mostly because of Trip Tracy. Pete Weber for Nashville does a good job, but I really liked listening to Eliot on the color; Crisp is behind the play too much and tells too many "remember when?" stories for my taste. I always thought Eliot was top-flight.

Anyone passing through Chatt on their way to Nashville is welcome to stop by on your way. I'll buy you a beer.

[ PM RoyalAir ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ShutUp

November 16, 2011 12:53:34 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
royalair said...
quote:
shutup said...
. While I thought maybe, just maybe, I'd start to follow Enstrom, Pavelec, and Little if somehow they were traded to teams with a pulse, I now realize that I won't, and likely never will..

My hope has been that Enstrom and Little get traded after the season is over. Enstrom deserves to play for a top class organization. It's also unfortunate to see Little's stats thus far: 6 points in 18 games? He's a much better player than that. He matured into a solid NHLer, and that was very apparent last season. Noel isn't using him properly, or Little just doesn't want to be there. I'm guessing it's more of the former, but wouldn't be too surprised if it was both.

[ PM ShutUp ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheBrickwall

November 16, 2011 1:58:38 pm

He's a Brick...House
He's mighty mighty, just lettin' it all hang out

[ Link to this post ]

#88points

[ PM TheBrickwall ]   __________________
"We redshirt Miss Americas at Ole Miss."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bongo

November 17, 2011 7:24:55 am

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
royalair said...
quote:
Bongo said...

When I lived in SC, I didn't much care for the Canes broadcasters, but that was mostly because of Trip Tracy. Pete Weber for Nashville does a good job, but I really liked listening to Eliot on the color; Crisp is behind the play too much and tells too many "remember when?" stories for my taste. I always thought Eliot was top-flight.

Anyone passing through Chatt on their way to Nashville is welcome to stop by on your way. I'll buy you a beer.

I usually hit the mute button when Tripp comes on.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

VAThrasher

November 19, 2011 10:31:27 am

Top Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Valabiktorian said...
I'm amazed at how disinterested I've been in the Jets.

Just swung by for the first time since this summer as I'm clearing out all my old "favorites" that I don't use in Internet Explorer. Don't want to say I told you so, but I went through this before, with the Flames, and if you're passionate about a team, as we were, I found you just can't switch it to someone else. I went from a hockey freak in 1980 to not really giving a rat's rectum about it by 1983. This time, I just didn't invest myself in it at all - the start of the season coincided with the loss of my father, so that probably just compounded the case of the "fuckits" that I developed, still it's almost alarming how I don't even pause the crawl on ESPN to see scores. Must be some kind of a self-preservation tool.

Any way, I hope all my old friends and fantasy league opponents are doing well. Go Dawgs

[ PM VAThrasher ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TomACE

December 8, 2011 7:41:40 am

4th Line Grinder

[ Link to this post ]

Changing the culture doesn't happen overnight and despite the recent success. I think that January and February will be crucial for the Jets based on the history of the Thrashers in said time frame.

I believe that MTSC is emerging as an asset for the team. This is a stark contrast to Thrasher home games against Buffalo, Philly, Detroit or Pittsburgh. A small sold out barn which is tough on the opponent is any plus for any team whether it plays in Augusta, Gainsville, Norwich, Ufa or Zlin.

The homeworks were finished five years ahead of the hand-in. You have to understand that it's not a must to make the playoffs this year. I guess that an area where culture is changing. The evaluation of the team produced the results which were pointed out in the Lawless article (he's an asshat btw.) True North understands that a NHL team which plans for a long term success need a proper development in the organization. Their success with the Moose is a huge asset with the current AHL- NHL relationship with SJ's. I don't think it's a coincidence that Flood or Kulda are not only injury replacements. What happened last season when Enstrom went down? In the same fashion St.John's in one of the top teams in the AHL. Success or better long term success at the NHL level requires a solid foundation in the AHL.

Which one of Chevaldayoff's moves can attributed as bad?
- hiring Noel is proving to be a decent move so far.
- not re-signing Stewart was viewed critical-- FF2Dec: His 4 goals and 5 points in 25 games speak loud and clear
- added Meech and Jones --FF2Dec: Injured, unable to form an opinion
- signing Glass-- FF2Dec: Solid move. He's part of the most consistent line this season and has solid numbers for Bottom six guy.
- giving Gagnon a two year deal can be viewed critical, because IIRC year #2 is a one-way.
- getting Flood was a great move. Initially signed to play in SJ's, he's now playing well in the NHL.
- extending Ladd was a good move, because it signaled that the franchise is capable of keeping a key player and their captain around. -- FF2DEc: His play this season isn't justifying his contract. Bad move? Maybe.
- getting Gregoire was groundbreaking move. Did Atlanta ever managed to snag a talented prospect away from another team? I doubt it.
- acquiring Fehr for almost nothing was good.
- hiring Charlie Huddy to work with the defense is proving to be an awesome move. Zach Bogosian is different player and he could end up being a team MVP candidate this season.
- signing Wellwood was excellent. He's way better than Stewart.
- re-signed Bogosian to a fair deal. Great ROI so far.
- drafted Mark Scheifele. This probably the most controversial decision by Chevy. We'll have to wait and see. I remain positive about him based on his play in the prospect tourny, in the pre-season and in the OHL.
- signing Aebischer is a move which I don't understand.

Overall, I don't see a glaring mistakes as it was suggested. A majority of transactions are proving to be solid.

Cheveldayoff was candidate for the GM posts on Long Island and in Phoenix, when he was still with the Wolves. He turned down both offers. I suspect that he didn't enjoy the thought of having Wang above him. Phoenix just finished their worst season (in Phoenix) and I assume that the looming ownership issues were visible. The emerging Blackhawks proved to be the right location for him. This guy may be an ex-AHL GM, but he waited a while before going to an organization with solid foundation and future. Similar things could be said about the Winnipeg Jets.
I was reversed about the strong AHL roots from ownership, management and coaching. So far it's not proving to be a disadvantage for the franchise. Overall, it was surreal how the franchise was transformed over the summer. Most of the moves where those that I envisioned for the Thrashers, including name and jersey change.

[ PM TomACE ]   Edited by TomACE December 7, 2011 11:51:33 pm.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

December 8, 2011 10:38:08 am

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
VAThrasher said...
it's almost alarming how I don't even pause the crawl on ESPN to see scores. Must be some kind of a self-preservation tool.

just saw this. dead true. I have paid almost zero attention to the nhl. I've watched parts of 3 games, checked standings about 5 times out of curiosity, checked individual stats once (curious how kovy was doing).

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

Jump to page: ( 1 2  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread