Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> The other shoe may be about to drop in Phoenix

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Green Hornet

June 12, 2013 10:07:23 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

The other shoe may be about to drop in Phoenix
So says TSN, anyway.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425325

Part of me can't help but think this is what should've happened two years ago, and if it had, there MAY (emphasis on may) have been time to pressure the A$G asshats into selling to a local buyer.

That said, I still HATE to see another town (other than the 'Peg) lose its team. The only thing I hope for is that if, indeed, this is the end in the desert, they wind up (against all evidence to the contrary) someplace other than Quebec. If for no other reason it would piss off the hordes of smug jagoffs on several other boards I frequent who are so sure they're getting the 'Yotes.

[ PM Green Hornet ]   __________________
Let's roll, Kato!!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

COUSIN ELVIS

June 18, 2013 6:03:03 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

ITS BEEN ALMOST 10 YEARS SINCE I PAID ATTENTION TO ANY OF THIS GH, SO OBVSLY IM NOT FOLLOWING LIKE UR , BUT ITS HARD TO IMAGINE THINGS HAVE CHANGED SO MUCH FOR THE NHL TO RETURN TO QUEBEC CITY.

THERES NO WAY BETTMAN IS GOING TO OK FOR THEM TO PLAY IN LA COLLISSEE.

ANY PRIVATE COMPANY THAT WANTS TO BUILD WITH THERE OWN FUNDS MITE AS WELL PLAN AND AHEAD AND MAKE THERE APPT AT THE BANKRUPCY COURTS

AND IF THE PROVINCIAL GOVT OK'D ANY PUBLIC FUNDS, ID DO A FRED G SANFORD "IM COMINTA SEE YA LIZBETH!" RITE THEN AND THERE.

[ PM COUSIN ELVIS ]   __________________
http://twitter.com/COUSINELVIS
"Do you guys have room for me in lala land??" MILLWOOD ON 16MAR10

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Green Hornet

June 18, 2013 6:41:48 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

A few things.

First, a new arena in Quebec not only has the green light, but I believe is already under construction. Le Colisee' would only be a temporary home if the NHL chose to go that way.

HOWEVER, not it appears it's not for sure the 'Yotes would go to Quebec if they leave Phoenix. I've seen reports that Seattle may now have the inside track, and I'm even hearing rumors of Las Vegas (man, THAT would make some folks North of the 49th parallel go apoplectic).

And there's even a "plan," if you want to call it that, on the table from a potential group that would keep the 'Yotes in Glendale.

Basically, the situation is just as convoluted as it's been for the last five years or so. But at least there MAY be an end game (one way or the other) in sight.

Let's roll, Kato!!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

COUSIN ELVIS

June 18, 2013 8:16:00 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

I CDNT BELIEVE WHEN YOU SAID ABOUT SO I HAD TO LOOK IT UP SOME MORE

ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW.

AT LEAST WITH STAND UP PPL LIKE THE ONES IN THE IOC, NHL, AND THE OLD CRONY BUDDYS OF QUEBEC POLITICS INVOLVED, THERE CDNT BE TOOOOOO MUCH GO WRONG, RIGHT?

#LESSONSNOTLEARNED

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Green Hornet

July 3, 2013 1:06:48 pm

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

Well looks like the Coyotes will stay in the desert for at least five years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/phoenix-coyotes-avoid-relocation-stay-glendale-city-council-063019646.html

Don't really know what to make of this. One the one hand, I'm still irked that if not for a last minute reprieve two years ago, the 'Yotes would've been the team heading to Winnipeg, which would've bought some more time for local groups (perhaps with actual help from a suddenly freed-up Bettman and NHL office) to maybe push A$G out of Philips and save the Thrashers.

Also, it's kind of amusing to see so many heads exploding, not only in Quebec (where arrogance, abusiveness toward Phoenix fans and a sense of entitlement by so many people was on display on several message boards), but also Winnipeg. Still don't understand why so many 'Peggers see the idea of the Coyotes one day moving out of Arizona as a personal victory. Hey, you guys got a team back (an OUR expense, no less). Isn't that f#$%ing enough?

On the other hand, it looks like this deal may have simply kicked the can down the road, perhaps as soon as five years. Hmmmm. Maybe by that time A$G will have been FINALLY run out of town? Eh, we can't be so lucky.

Let's roll, Kato!!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

COUSIN ELVIS

July 14, 2013 8:41:43 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Green Hornet said...
Well looks like the Coyotes will stay in the desert for at least five years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/phoenix-coyotes-avoid-relocation-stay-glendale-city-council-063019646.html

Don't really know what to make of this. One the one hand, I'm still irked that if not for a last minute reprieve two years ago, the 'Yotes would've been the team heading to Winnipeg, which would've bought some more time for local groups (perhaps with actual help from a suddenly freed-up Bettman and NHL office) to maybe push A$G out of Philips and save the Thrashers.

Also, it's kind of amusing to see so many heads exploding, not only in Quebec (where arrogance, abusiveness toward Phoenix fans and a sense of entitlement by so many people was on display on several message boards), but also Winnipeg. Still don't understand why so many 'Peggers see the idea of the Coyotes one day moving out of Arizona as a personal victory. Hey, you guys got a team back (an OUR expense, no less). Isn't that f#$%ing enough?

On the other hand, it looks like this deal may have simply kicked the can down the road, perhaps as soon as five years. Hmmmm. Maybe by that time A$G will have been FINALLY run out of town? Eh, we can't be so lucky.

I THINK FOR ALL THE CANADA HATERS, THE WAY THINGS WENT DOWN MAY HAVE BEEN BEST FOR YOU

IF PHX WAS SOLD TO TNSE TO GO TO WINNIPEG, QUEBEC WAS ALREADY COMMITED TO A NEW ARENA, AND THERE JUST WASNT GOING TO BE A LOCAL BUYER FOR THE THRASHERS TO KEEP THEM IN ATLANTA.

IN OTHER WORDS THERE WD BE 2 MORE TEAMS NOTB INSTEAD OF JUST ONE AS IS NOW.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Previous Thread | Next Thread