Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

Atlanta Thrashers -> Zhamnov a Flyer

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Holland

February 19, 2004 6:55:18 pm

lolland

[ Link to this post ]

Zhamnov a Flyer
woo or something

[ PM Holland ]  

Lessard Fretter

February 19, 2004 8:21:09 pm

4th Line Grinder

[ Link to this post ]

So much for Waddell getting him. Now we'll likely get to see him get some points on us to help the Flyers beat us next game. Great!

[ PM Lessard Fretter ]   __________________
"He's the most competitive goalie I've ever been associated with," Waddell said. "He doesn't like to be scored upon in practice or warmups, let alone the game." -- GM Don Waddell speaking of Thrashers No.1 goalie Pasi Nurminen.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Blotto

February 20, 2004 8:28:04 am

The hair, the myth, the legend.

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Lessard Fretter said...
So much for Waddell getting him. Now we'll likely get to see him get some points on us to help the Flyers beat us next game. Great!

I'll take the Bondra, please....let Zhamnov score but we still win?

[ PM Blotto ]   __________________
Rhinoceruses don't wear shirts. - bloodninja

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

February 20, 2004 8:44:36 am

Nutsack

Location: Enjoying a slavish concern for the composition of words.
[ Link to this post ]

Why are you people so intent on Waddell getting players in their late 30s? Bondra is 36, Zhamnov will be 34 next year.

Why give up picks and prospects for a guy that will come here and help us miss the playoffs this year?

[ PM Poster ]   __________________
Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

ThrasherB

February 20, 2004 9:21:12 am

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

Preach it, Poster!!!

These are not the guys to help this team. Short term, sure, but we all know short term is no good for us. Big ticket, big name, late career players are the exact type of guys that DW must stay away from. Bring me the Savards, the Brewers, or even the Kozlovs. But not these end-of-career, $5 mill per players.

[ PM ThrasherB ]   __________________
"I am not protesting against the conduct of the war, but against the political errors and insincerities for which the fighting men are being sacrificed. On behalf of those who are suffering now I make this protest against the deception which is being prac

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Will

February 20, 2004 11:40:00 am

Top Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
Why are you people so intent on Waddell getting players in their late 30s? Bondra is 36, Zhamnov will be 34 next year.

Why give up picks and prospects for a guy that will come here and help us miss the playoffs this year?

At this point in the season you're right, it doesn't even make since to even think about these kind of guys (even though I guess we're still technically in playoff contention). But a couple of weeks ago when we were still right in the thick of things, guys like Bondra and Zhamnov (and Sullivan) were exactly the kind of guys to go after. If you're a playoff contending team and you have a choice between proven NHL talent and unproven prospects, you have to go for the proven talent. Even if they're just here for one playoff push, I'd gladly take a couple of months of Bondra/Zhamnov/Sullivan over a 2nd round pick who'll probably never play regularly for the Thrashers anyway. It was the best plan for the first couple of seasons but if this team just keeps building for the future, we'll never be playing for the present.

[ PM Will ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

February 20, 2004 11:53:52 am

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Will said...
I'd gladly take a couple of months of Bondra/Zhamnov/Sullivan over a 2nd round pick who'll probably never play regularly for the Thrashers anyway. It was the best plan for the first couple of seasons but if this team just keeps building for the future, we'll never be playing for the present.

You'd gladly trade away, for example, Jim Slater and Michael Garnett for a couple of months of Bondra?

Or Ilja Nikulin and Libor Ustrnul?

Ladies and gentlemen and JG if you'll look off the cabin to your left, you'll see a fat lady falling in a hole.

RoyalAir

February 20, 2004 12:18:41 pm

SheAndOnoVan's Bitch

[ Link to this post ]

Does anyone honestly believe that Nikulin and Ustrnul will ever play here? They were in Stefan's draft class, right? One of them is toiling in Chicago, but where is the other one? I know nothing about these guys, and DW touted them as the cornerstone of the future defence.

[ PM RoyalAir ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Poster

February 20, 2004 12:24:00 pm

Nutsack

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
RoyalAir said...
Does anyone honestly believe that Nikulin and Ustrnul will ever play here? They were in Stefan's draft class, right? One of them is toiling in Chicago, but where is the other one?

Ustrnul is in Chicago, and Nikulin should be over from Russia for training camp this year.

Will

February 20, 2004 12:39:33 pm

Top Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Poster said...
quote:
Will said...
I'd gladly take a couple of months of Bondra/Zhamnov/Sullivan over a 2nd round pick who'll probably never play regularly for the Thrashers anyway. It was the best plan for the first couple of seasons but if this team just keeps building for the future, we'll never be playing for the present.

You'd gladly trade away, for example, Jim Slater and Michael Garnett for a couple of months of Bondra?

Or Ilja Nikulin and Libor Ustrnul?

I wouldn't consider trading Slater yet but I would certainly consider trading the others if a good deal was available. As nice as it is to hope for the best out of young prospects, the fact is they haven't proven anything yet and the odds are against them ever proving anything. If you can get something of actual value for them you should make the move when you can. Guys like Ustrnul and Nikulin might become franchise defensemen one day but it's just as likely that they might also flame out. What about a guy like Luke Sellars? I'm pretty sure we'd all be happy if we could get anything of value for him now but would you have been willing to consider moving him a couple of seasons ago when his stock was high? Again, good looking prospects are nice to have around but for the right price, I'll take actual proven NHL talent anyday.

[ PM Will ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Dafoe Horsemen

February 20, 2004 12:50:04 pm

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

Ustrnul and Nikulin were from Heatley's class. They were both highly touted when we drafted them, being ranked pretty highly in all the rankings. I don't think you can say they're franchise cornerstones, but at the same time, it's too soon to give up on them as defensemen. Remember, this is Exelby's first full year in the bigs and he's a year older than those two. For a stay-at-home guy Garnet is a little ahead of the typical blueliner learning curve as well. I still have some hope either one will become a player, but I’d happily trade either one to acquire a guy that can help right now – even one that might be a little long in the tooth. I wouldn’t deal Lehtonen or Coburn for a guy like that but Ustrnul or Nikulin I’d happily part with.

[ PM Dafoe Horsemen ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

clambake

February 20, 2004 1:36:20 pm

Ass Hamster

[ Link to this post ]

You don't give up draft picks and prospects (unless you've already written them off) for players in the last year of their contract when you are merely contending for the last playoff spot (which the Thrashers were doing even a month ago). When DW spoke at the last STH meeting, did anyone else notice that he said he was a buyer, but the players he was talking about picking up were in the Savard mold- guys that were on the outs with coaching or management. He never said anything about rent-a-players.

Ottawa and Philly are Cup contenders, and Nashville is fighting for the #5 seed right now and a date with a struggling Vancouver team. They are six games above .500, but they're a -10 in goal differential. A little offense for them can go a long way. These are the types of teams that make the short term trades.

[ PM clambake ]   __________________
In my day we didn't ask why the chicken crossed the road. Somebody told us the chicken crossed the road, and that was good enough.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Section119

February 20, 2004 3:24:34 pm

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
RoyalAir said...
Does anyone honestly believe that Nikulin and Ustrnul will ever play here? They were in Stefan's draft class, right? One of them is toiling in Chicago, but where is the other one? I know nothing about these guys, and DW touted them as the cornerstone of the future defence.

First, as mentioned, they were taken in the 2000 draft...Nikulin was 31st and Ustrnul 42nd.

Second, they are both JUST 21.

Third, HN has this to say:

Ustrnul-1g 1a 49pims in 31 games with Chicago (AHL). Hulking 235-pound blueliner must improve uncomfortable puckhandling skills. He was rated the Thrasher's No 7 prospect, third best D-man prospect.

Nikulin- 1g 3a 36pim in 37 games with Dynamo (Russia). Has shown little willingness to learn English and come play in NA. Rated as Thrasher's No 10 prospect, 4th best D-man prospect.

[ PM Section119 ]   __________________
The government can not give to anybody anything the government does not first take from somebody else.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Dafoe Horsemen

February 20, 2004 3:55:31 pm

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

Is that issue of HN on newsstands, S119? The Future Watch and Draft issues are the only ones I ever buy.

[ PM Dafoe Horsemen ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Previous Thread | Next Thread